Thread: Kings River-Trail Conditions

Default Kings River-Trail Conditions

Typical for this time of year. A few snow drifts to knock down, turns muddy as the day warms up, and it was blistering hot as you gained altitude! Kings River is high with the spring runoff. Made it up 9.5 miles approx.

Default Lots of loosers

Was at Kings River trail and a local woman came up to me and was "nicely" checking me out. Apparently they have had a string of robberies around the area and people leaving their trash and rv sewage dumped in their area. We should all keep our ears and eyes out for these type of people. In this area the troopers are involved and some of the older people are very worried and everyone is packing now. Please don't be upset if locals are checking you out on the trail they have valid concerns, due to recent activities, and lets help them to turn these low lives in.

You're absolutely right polaristracker. Within the past 10 months from Kings River to Purinton Creek there have been 24+ robberies and break-ins. A lot of the locals are on edge and are carrying guns - there has already been one incident of shooting 'at' someone that was where they didn't belong.

If the 'good' visitors could help police the 'bad' visitors, this stretch of road would become much more friendly!

Hm. That makes me a little nervous, actually. We ride in that area all the time, we do not ride areas marked "Private Property" and we respect people. But I certainly don't want to be at risk of having someone local fire off a shot in my direction if I happen to screw up and be in an area I shouldn't be or that they think I shouldn't be.

I hope they catch these scofflaws soon!
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

I hope they catch the rest of them soon too. They had a lead on one of them that's now out of state, and they actually caught a couple more, but since then there have been a couple more break-ins so obviously they haven't caught them all!

Dee I would be nervous too, but all I can say is be careful where you go and try to just stay on well-used trails. Most people here have No Trespassing, Private Drive or Private Property signs at the head of their driveways... MOST, not all.

I make sure to tell anyone that comes in the store here to be careful where they go if they've never been in this area, some get mad at me for telling them to watch for private property- and those are the ones that cause trouble.

Next time you're up this way stop at Chickaloon General Store

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfwoman View Post
    I hope they catch the rest of them soon too. They had a lead on one of them that's now out of state, and they actually caught a couple more, but since then there have been a couple more break-ins so obviously they haven't caught them all!
    Wasn't a local highly suspected/investigated for a few/several of the robberies?

I honestly think the state should intervene and make people pay. The have some old retired folks babysit the camp area. People who hafta pay to stay wouldn't trash the place, at least that is a sound theory to me.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

No it wasn't a local, unless you consider someone from the Kenai local.

Which campground? For two years a local woman has been working at the King Mountain Campground here in Chickaloon. There was a retired couple three years ago, but they were perfectly capable of taking care of it.

Are you talking about Kings River? I don't think that's considered a state campground - there's no fee and nothing but open area. No bathrooms, garbage cans or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfwoman View Post
    No it wasn't a local, unless you consider someone from the Kenai local.

Which campground? For two years a local woman has been working at the King Mountain Campground here in Chickaloon. There was a retired couple three years ago, but they were perfectly capable of taking care of it.

Are you talking about Kings River? I don't think that's considered a state campground - there's no fee and nothing but open area. No bathrooms, garbage cans or anything.
    I meant the Kings River trail head area. Ever since Jim's Creek became more regulated, Kings River went down hill. I used to take my family out there but after a few altercations I started camping miles up the trail. I worked with a guy who lives just before Chick and he was hit early last summer, turns out a neighbor was in possession of a stolen weapon and ammunition.

I'd like to see the head of Kings River state maintained with site fees, not an all out campground, just the basics to justify a fee. Part of that could go to maintaining property lines and ensuring people follow the correct path the first 3.5 miles up. No one wants to see more rules and regs but common sense is out the window and eventually there will be a loss of access.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

No offense but I hope they don't add Kings River (or any other place) to the list of places with fees. We've got plenty of those already.

Then they'll start the "improvements" and the restrictions to access, and all the other lovely things the State does to the places it maintains.

That's part of the reason I go so far North- there's nothing left nearby I can ride on because the state has taken control and "maintained" it right out of being able to be used by four wheelers.

Fees are nothing but a tax anyway and they pay mostly for what the skiiers and hikers want, not what ATV or snow machiners care about.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Sorry Dee, but I gotta agree with TWB just because of what I've seen here in Chickaloon alone over the past 6 years. You are a respectful rider and you are in the MINORITY. I live here on the property at the store and you would not BELIEVE some of the things that people do here, I'll let you imagine as I won't go into it much - let's just say bodily functions haven't been off limits. Unfortunately most ATV riders rip apart the trails and then make them wider and wider until they are an eyesore - that's why access is denied in a lot of places. You are the one hurt by those that think 'it doesn't apply to me'.

The campground here at King Mountain is VERY nice and VERY maintained and it's ALWAYS full during the summer.

Wolfwoman-

I absolutely agree that the "it doesn't apply to me" crowd ruin it for everyone else. I pack EVERYTHING out and try very hard not to make new trails or rut anything out and I avoid private property. It's a respect thing, but it also (hopefully) ensures that I can continue doing what I love to do. I get really angry when people do things that ruin our access. The jerks at Jim Creek that burn cars and fire weapons heedless of what they are shooting at upset me, and I see it as only a matter of time before Jim Creek gets shut down. The person who shot that lady's dog up at Permanente last week, same deal. I saw some folks here that were defending that person by blaming the dog, and to me that makes no sense. They should be just as angry, because it's patterns of behavior like that which will cause us to continue to lose access to trails.

If we don't police our own, then we're all going to get tarred and feathered with the same brush. I'd much rather we started looking out for any bad apples and reporting them than resorting to having the State start a paid parking lot at every trailhead.

You are a smart lady and I respect the heck out of you for it I don't care for the fees at the parks myself, but it sure as heck keeps the trash out

Default Chickaloon

Yes, please visit the Chickaloon General Store. It's been a virtual life saver many times as the only place around to get stuff. I want it to stay in business!

Thank you Not to mention you can 'Pee for Free!' lol

I'd like to stay in business too, as it stands it looks like we might shut down for the winter, but haven't completely decided yet. If we do it will be end of September and reopen (if we can) May 1st. Have to see what this summer brings!

We'll make a point to stop in next time. At first, I wasn't quite sure where you guys were at but noticed that you are next to the old King Mountain Lodge. We used to go there for the clay target "Turkey shoots" years back. Glad to see some business coming back to that area.

Unfortunately the lodge has been poorly run for the past 5 years and it is now closed. We will be watching over the property for the owner, but as far as it stands right now there's no new opening in sight. I'll be sure to let you folks know if it does.

We have had the package license from there for a few years, so if anyone needs beer we got it

Can't miss us now, we put pennants out front by the road