Thread: Fishing lake ice edge ???'s

Default Fishing lake ice edge ???'s

Don't beat me up too bad but since I do not do allot of fishing I am not familiar with which local (ER-valley) lakes would be good to try the technique of fishing the ice edges. I was also wondering if any of you know lakes which are ready for this now?

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm in Anchorage, and as of 20 minutes ago DeLong lake was ice free about 20+ feet from shore. I fished tacu lake last spring, way after ice was out and got some fish to rise on dry dry flies, but other then that I haven't fished lakes this early.

scuds or choronomid under a bobbercator or if you are into eating stockers popcorn shrimp
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

If you are in a sockeye system....the fry are emerging right about now and pouring into lakes (where they often remain for another year, so don't confuse it with the smolt outmigration) so rainbows and char stack up to eat these little one inch morsels of springtime goodness. We do it a lot in Bristol Bay...but it should work anywhere you have salmon. You can snowmachine, snowshoe, ski whatever to the open river mouth...usually the ice is good but be careful...and swing smolt patterns, spinners or jigs. It's all they have to eat at this time of year so they can stack up pretty good.

I don't even bother to lake fish until the water warms up a little more. Fish don't bite worth diddly this early.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    I don't even bother to lake fish until the water warms up a little more. Fish don't bite worth diddly this early.
    I think your missing some of the best lake fishing of the year. Ice out around the edges in spring is a good time. The edges are where the trout are congregated, and their hungry!

Uhh yeah your right I would'nt go if I were you, I'll keep checking it out though and let you know when it warms up enough and the fish start rising.

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    I think your missing some of the best lake fishing of the year. Ice out around the edges in spring is a good time. The edges are where the trout are congregated, and their hungry!

Absolutely, some of the best fishingt occurs just after ice out. Almost without exception ice goes out the first week of May in southcentral lakes PERIOD. The sooner you hit the edges or hit open water after the ice comes apart or recedes the better. Good luck.

Hmm. I don't what to think. Our lake here in meadow lakes is open but we haven't caught squat. Just seems to me we never do very good till June. Just me.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Char in particular will cruise the ice edge....have caught lots of them by casting parallel to shore with only 20 to 30 feet ofopen water....then all of a sudden they come smashing out from under the ice to grab your lure....didn't believe it until a buddy of mine showed me...

Default fish when you can

Opinions. . .

Ice out isn't my favorite, but hey, it's been a long winter. Trout at ice out are in a strange mood. Oxygen levels are still low, as photosynthesis is just starting. Temps are below optimimum, and insect activity is also minimal. In general, trout and their food sources are lethargic at ice out. I fish the valley lakes an awful lot starting from when there is enough open water to fish, until the water is freezing around me in the fall. Fish can be caught now, but in my experience, no way is ice out the very best fishing for rainbows. It gets much better later. Everyone is chasing salmon when some of the best trout fishing in the lakes is happening.

Arctic Char? Might be a different story. Char seem to stay more active in cold water than rainbows, and don't seem to be as deep early in the season as they can be later in the season. Same for Lake Trout. If you look in one of my other posts you'll see a picture of a 22" or so Arctic Char I caught Saturday. Every spring I accidentally catch a few of these while chasing rainbows.

Changing the subject, those char in lakes are sure fun to catch on fly gear. They pull hard, and for a long time. I'd say their stamina is better than that of a comparable sized rainbow, thought the char aren't as explosive and rarely jump. Happy summer, everyone!

Default my thoughts...

I live on a lake where it is stocked by ADF&G because I believe the fish in it do not spawn. Thus this might be a reason why I never do very well until it warms up a bit. I agree with the statement about the Char. We slaughtered them late last fall.

Hmm. I don't what to think. Our lake here in meadow lakes is open but we haven't caught squat. Just seems to me we never do very good till June. Just me.
    It depends on if your lake has trout year round or not. Some shallow lakes do not support trout year round but they will move in after spawning.

well it looks like more info came out while I was typing sorry