Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My bear stand: Keep out!!!!!

Default My bear stand: Keep out!!!!!

.......I guess this is the message my wife got this weekend. We had a great stand location last year. Built an awesome stand, good set up, plenty of bears coming in.
    Went in this spring to see that all the trees a stand could go in are cut down to include the ones we used. Must of been cut after the season last year.
    I talked to a guy that left a note last year. Said he was close after I set up but the conversation went well and he didn't mind if I hunted there. Wonder if it was him. Sounded nice.

I don't mind the fact that people like to find and horde their little piece of heaven in the hunting woods. It is public land though, so why ruin what my friend and I put in the hard work to create.

Luckily my wife, step son, son and friend all killed last year. I was hoping to get my step daughter and myself on one this spring.

Kinda spineless if I do say. Surprises me how many people will slither around in the shadows and cause problems like that, never actually having the courage to chat face to face with one they have the issues with.

So what does a guy do? Move to a different spot? Or become spineless and take it out on the spots that are close by? Hhhhhmmmmmmmm

I guess Alaska really isn't that big after all.

That is too bad that others would stoop to this level. I have known individuals who "think" the public land belongs to them because they have "hunted here for 20 years." I Have also heard of the same thing happening to people who have put up a tree stand for moose and come back the next morning to find their tree cut down.

Of course if the area had good amounts of black bear, you could always construct a ground blind out of all the trees they cut down. Especially if you hunt with another person who can keep an eye on the back entry of your blind. Could prove to be very effective.

Good luck,

CubeCove

Quote Originally Posted by cubecove View Post
    Of course if the area had good amounts of black bear, you could always construct a ground blind out of all the trees they cut down. Especially if you hunt with another person who can keep an eye on the back entry of your blind. Could prove to be very effective.

Good luck,

CubeCove
    Like he said. Go for it. And it is sad that someone would do that. Your not the only person I know who has had the good trees cut down in their stand location.I hope it turns out well and you both get bears this year. Good Luck dude.....Daniel

Not too strange.
    Guys here have trapping lines that are "theirs" as well as favored lakes for Trapping and "hunting Grounds" they favor heavily. Some are from dad to son, some are family run, some are open time to time.
    This dosent apply to animals that migrate in, only resident "fur", and things like traps or nets, that are "fixxed" in place and must be maintained.. Hunting Caribou in such a place is open to anyone....see?
    I personally returned to Kobuk river this fall to find an old pard of mine was using 9 of my 15 cubbies to trap.....I figured since he told me, and I wasnt useing them , or planning to this winter, what the could I do? Fact is he gave me two Wolverine and an otter this winter in an effort to make "good' even though I told him to just use them. He is asking lately if I would want to use them next winter or "Sell out"...LOL! But they are in good, productive places, so they have worth right there. i donno, but its the "Cool way" for me.
    Well, because someone is there already dosnt make them the First or Last, were just "The Latest"
    I could see this extending to a treestand, if thats what you use.

If I had built a treestand, on public land, I would figure Im first in line to use it, then the next guys welcome to it. If I didnt want someone else to use it, I would remove it when I was done.

Its never a matter of Tresspass, just etiquite for those who are hunting an area that some hunt quite often, so as not to disturbe camps, spoil their traps, run their nets over and such. Its best to go see these folks anyway, as they are updated on the game and if I dont get home, they know best where to find me. Its all face to face and any problems are spoken then. Even then, I still hunt where I want, but with the ability to avoid and repect their works as well.
    I would place a note back asking for a phone # so you could work it out because cutting down trees to stop someone from hunting is B. S.

That needs to stop.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

2 years ago we had a guy leave us a big sign at the bottom of our stand saying he had one about 1/4 of a mile away and asked us to leave. So we went looking for this stand and never found one so we said eff him. When we confronted him he for some odd reason had nothing to say other than he had a stand where there wasn't one. Then we caught one of his buddies hunting on ours and that was a real gutless thing to do. We killed a bear and packed up. Sad people have to be so **** pathetic.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Plentycoupe, Roughly very roughly where was this location. you can PM me if you like. I might be able to help.

on the Elliot towards minto

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

plenty your not the first i have heard this from... the area your hunting is well travled and sought after... probably the most so in the Interior.

i would set a ground blind and go to it.. just double check some other new person has not already set up near by.. i fear that is the GREATEST issue in that area... there are SOOOOO many new hunters that head there. ... take the high road.. it is the best way....

it has worked for me all these years in one of the most sought after moose areas we have to offer.....

be a good neighbor...what else do you have to do?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by plentycoupe View Post
    Sorry I can't help....wish I could.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    2 years ago we had a guy leave us a big sign at the bottom of our stand saying he had one about 1/4 of a mile away and asked us to leave. So we went looking for this stand and never found one so we said eff him. When we confronted him he for some odd reason had nothing to say other than he had a stand where there wasn't one. Then we caught one of his buddies hunting on ours and that was a real gutless thing to do. We killed a bear and packed up. Sad people have to be so **** pathetic.
    I have had others hunt out of my stands as well. What I have found when talking to these guys is that they don't have a clue about were to hunt or how to hunt. Most of them simply saw my stand, figured someone must know what they are doing and up they went. On the flip side I have also had people steal my stands. We use portable stands and a couple of them have gone MIA over night. I usually keep my stands up for several days or until I am done with an area verse taking them down each night. One guy I found in my stand was well, shall we say, challenged. These are the ones that concern me the most. I don't like the idea that you crawled up into my stand and are hunting out of it but when your not that stable to begin with things can go bad real quick by simply asking them what they are doing in my stand.. not worth a confrontation with a clueless nut ball with a load weapon in his or her hands..

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

quite a few years back i set up a stand out at friday creek towards the knik galcier. i spent much time out there building a stand out of rope and limbs and even covered it with a canvas tarp so i could sleep in it when time allowed. i was pretty proud of the work i did and made sure i got my bait out the first day with high expectations. well later in the season after registering i went back to fish and feathers to look on the map and by golly there was thirty pins right in my spot on the map. so what did i do? nothing, there is nothing you can legally do and vise versa. alaska is big but the metropolises are crowded. bear bait areas are like a good fishing hole. youll know your there when you start seeing all the people.

Quote Originally Posted by plentycoupe View Post
    Single most congested bear baiting area in the interior, thats how it goes. I rode trails two springs ago and found as many as 4 bait stations on the same trail , some guys even had their baits literally adjacent to the well used ATV trail. On the Elliot, theres only so many places to park a truck and trails to ride a wheeler on, hence the crowding.

Default Begining to understand

that this is an extrememly high use area. Still doesn't make it right for someone to mess up your hard work.
    Guess I will use the ground blind stand or a couple hang on stands now. Think I made up my mind that I am not going to let someone run me out of a place that I have just as much right to and that I worked hard to use.
    Heck spring bears gets everything started!!

Default Not so big.

That really sucks. It could be he is the one that did it, but who knows. Funny thing is he said he didn't really mind it? Some of the stories I have heard & read on here it bogils my mind what goes on & people do.

Not sure what I would do if I had some jerk setting in my stand that I spent time setting up. Must be a complete TARD to not know any better & just park there happy can up in your set up.

If it was me & that guy you talked with had been baiting near there before you then I would just move on. Sounds like you harvested several bears the year before & chances are you would not have the same success this year. Only so many bears in the woods. I would move on, find a new place a bit off the beaten path. Less people w/ more bears & less stupidity to deal with. Good luck.

Default stands

I hate when people steal your stands .I have gone to locking them to a most dont carry a cable cutter .But Just keeping honest people honest .But if they really want it its gone.Hope you the best of luck this year

A buddy and I both used climbing stands down in the lower 48 before and he used to laugh at me for packing my stand in and out every time. He would just set his up and attach it to the tree with a cable lock. Needless to say someone came by and stole his. I also remember news stories of people getting shot over hunting stands.

Default yuppers

A few years back in a buddy and I built a stand (nice one, out of 2x4s, real sturdy) in an area we had scouted to make sure no others were too close. We even went so far as to remove the bottom rungs of the ladder we used to get up into it (figured that'd be enough to show others it was "in use") WEll, the following year we show up and someone has set bait at the stand, and had screwed in some of our scrap wood so they could get up into it. Just surprised someone would have the nuts to find a stand and think no one uses it (obviously used). Welcome to bear baiting in the interior!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

people get shot for using others bear stands in some parts of this state. ONe goes to all trouble and hard work to set it up and someone else just comes along and swipes it. We had a guy try that on us one year. Nothing works better than cutting he whole thing down and moving it.

Talking Sometimes....

It really pays to give baiting 150%.What I mean is, look for a river you can row across, and hike a ways and set a bait.Yes, it is a pain, but odds are, your problems will be minimum.I did this for several years, and it worked well.GR

Default Yep.. What he said..

Quote Originally Posted by Rovingarcher View Post
    It really pays to give baiting 150%.What I mean is, look for a river you can row across, and hike a ways and set a bait.Yes, it is a pain, but odds are, your problems will be minimum.I did this for several years, and it worked well.GR
    There are a lot of lazy baitstand hunters out there just looking for an opportunity to grab someone elses spot. Why, because is it is alot of work and they don't want to work for it. It happened to me years ago and I said "NO, THAT ain't happening again"... I wasn't that easy to find either, which surprised me. So I went the extra mile (literrally) and haven't had the problem since. Also, and don't be offended by this, but as good as some buddies that you think you might have or cool folks that you might associate with, never tell anyone where it is. Ever! It's just not worth the chance of "somebody" over hearing a tid bit here and there and before ya know it, folks are in your spot. Also, next time someone asks you about where you bait or baiting in general, just say you bait north of Fairbanks and leave it at that. Be vague or change the subject, sometimes you just have to...My .02....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast