Thread: Belt question

Default Belt question

Anyone ever used an aftermarkert belton the fourwheeler i have an 2007 kingquard 700 and i need a new belt.

Check out this site, they talk about all sorts of belt options for the KQ.
    http://www.nyrocatv.com/techtip.cgi?viewcat=11

I really don't know why you could not use an aftermarket belt. People put them on their sleds all the time, with way more HP than our quads.

Post stock belt ...

i have same quad...use only the factory belt! it works! the differnce in belts from the snongo/800 rmk belt is the 4wheeler has to "live" in the Heat ...all the time u are running...
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Quote Originally Posted by atvalaska View Post
    i have same quad...use only the factory belt! it works! the differnce in belts from the snongo/800 rmk belt is the 4wheeler has to "live" in the Heat ...all the time u are running...
    That is only partly true. Your wheeler does'nt turn 8000 rpm's. My bet is the sled belt runs hotter. However, I also run the factory belt on my quad, with no failures to date(10 yrs. now).

I have a kodiak 450 and haven't had any probs w my aftermarket belt. Looks exactly the same as the oem but is half the price! I think I put on a dynco or something like that. good luck
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

Wink

MY wheeler is running 6720 rpms (in high with my tac/meter) at x mph down the trail at 58 deg out side temp..(well last week ,when it was summer.. ) I grab on to a blown/burnt snogo belt and change it on the trail/MTN ... no problem tryed the same thing with my wheeler after a "run"...Had To break out the welding gloves... it was hot inside that "box" ...oh well my 1st lesson cost 190.00 belt... no more class for me ! ... my 2 cents

Talking Belt, what's that?

If ever I saw a thread solidifying my decision to buy a Honda, it's this one. Good luck with those belts guys.

I'm glad you like your Honda, but you're wrong about belts.

The modern synchronous belt pulls more horsepower than a chain, more quietly and smoothly, more reliably, and requires no lubrication. The advantages of a high quality belt over chain are indisputable.

Some belt systems are better than others, certainly. Our Yamaha Grizzly's have been trouble free for over 700 miles so far on the original belts.

You might consider why so many top-end machines like Harley Davidson, CanAm Spider etc. use belts. It's not because belts are inferior to chain, that's for certain. They also use only high quality belt manufacturers, which is key. Gates, Dayco and Goodyear are the three top brands, with Gates being the #1. Avoid Chinese manufacturers- as a general rule, their belts are poorly made and fall apart quickly.

Just my 2 cents.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Lightbulb a follow up....

what will 'get/burn' your belt.... is changing from stock tire size and traction to "over sized & big lugs" then go crawl thur some muskeg in high gear on a automatic ... a guy on the "nyroc fourm' did the math on the rpm's and mph and and came up with ... a least on the newer king quad's was < 18 mph always stay in low...which i found to be my case on the way to and from my cabin. u would be suprised on some of the trails u mite run... it seems fast when the trees/rocks on the trail are 8" to the left and right and your only going 14mph...

Quote Originally Posted by atvalaska View Post
    what will 'get/burn' your belt.... is changing from stock tire size and traction to "over sized & big lugs" then go crawl thur some muskeg in high gear on a automatic ... a guy on the "nyroc fourm' did the math on the rpm's and mph and and came up with ... a least on the newer king quad's was < 18 mph always stay in low...which i found to be my case on the way to and from my cabin. u would be suprised on some of the trails u mite run... it seems fast when the trees/rocks on the trail are 8" to the left and right and your only going 14mph...
    I could'nt agree more, that will kill an atv belt real quick. it works the same with stock tires too. I very rarely ever ride in high range.

Quote Originally Posted by dipnetter View Post
    If ever I saw a thread solidifying my decision to buy a Honda, it's this one. Good luck with those belts guys.

Coming from an ex Honda guy.........my Honda wasn't even close to the machine my 750 King Quad is. Three key points that make all the difference in an ATV besides tires which every machine needs an upgrade of from stock tires.

1) Theres no replacement for displacement!
    2) Ground clearance...Ground clearance....Ground clearence!
    3) 4WD on all 4 corners of the machine are a must!

ATVAlaska and Kenairmk

It depends on the rig. The belt/clutch system on the Yamaha Grizzly is very good and I have never burned/spun the belt on it under any conditions. It's something that Yamaha prides themselves on and uses in their advertising, and with good reason. I have been able to run in all conditions from rock crawling, hill climbing, mud etc. without having to go into low range. I do use low range to assist with engine braking when going down hills or if I'm doing extensive rock crawling to assist with throttle control. That's about it. We've got over 700 miles on our Grizzlies and the belts are still in pristine shape. When we first bought the machines, I asked the salesman to sell me a spare belt, and he told me it would be a waste of money, that I'd probably never smoke or snap a belt on the Grizzly. So far, he's been right!
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Thumbs up

eagle ,did u mod your atv? tires etc? i did and ... i did my belt "in" ( still good to use/its my spare, just a little shinny) @ 196 miles . Since i went with the "ag" kit/new belt @ 197 miles, i'm now at 2600+ miles without a lick of trouble

ATVAlaska
    My ride is stock. My sweetie's ride has ITP Mudlite tires that are a bit bigger than stock. Neither of us has ever had a problem with the belts, we both ride Yamaha Grizzly 700's. It's really one of the strong suits for that make/model ATV. There's a number of things I love about the Grizzly- so far they seem to be virtually bomb proof.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    ATVAlaska and Kenairmk

It depends on the rig. The belt/clutch system on the Yamaha Grizzly is very good and I have never burned/spun the belt on it under any conditions. It's something that Yamaha prides themselves on and uses in their advertising, and with good reason. I have been able to run in all conditions from rock crawling, hill climbing, mud etc. without having to go into low range. I do use low range to assist with engine braking when going down hills or if I'm doing extensive rock crawling to assist with throttle control. That's about it. We've got over 700 miles on our Grizzlies and the belts are still in pristine shape. When we first bought the machines, I asked the salesman to sell me a spare belt, and he told me it would be a waste of money, that I'd probably never smoke or snap a belt on the Grizzly. So far, he's been right!
    I don't doubt what you say a bit. I own an older sportsman 500, now with about 3000 miles on it. I also have never blown a belt. Also, my dealer told me it was a waste of time to buy a spare belt, my response to him was...sell me a belt, i would never go out on my sled without a spare, I won't do it on my wheeler either, so far he has been right too, but I have the piece of mind. Happy trails to all.

Quote Originally Posted by j.waggoner View Post
    Check out this site, they talk about all sorts of belt options for the KQ.
    http://www.nyrocatv.com/techtip.cgi?viewcat=11
    Hey thanks for that website! My KQ has a barking issue when I take off and that site totally explained why its happening.

No worries glad it helped. Also keep in mind something I just found out from Anchorage Suzuki, if you upsize tires make sure to get a new clutch kit and do both the inside and outside clutches. I'm Having to replace my internal clutch right now because it overheated.
    2008 KingQuad 750 AXI, 26" ITP Mud Lite XTR, Bad Lands Trunk Bag

Stick with the stock belt. I tried many different brands and the stock lasted the longest for me. Good rule of thumb to remember also is that when you are going slower than about 15 mph (+-5mph), put it in low range if so equipped. Helps you from not only smoking your belt but also from wearing grooves in your clutch sheaves.