Thread: New Eberlestock owner. Any tips?

Default New Eberlestock owner. Any tips?

I'm the owner of a new (to me & new condition) Eberlestock Blue Widow JP9 pack with zip in panel & super spike duffel. Basically it's the same as the 107 but with no scabbard.
    It looks pretty simple & I think I have the adjustment about right, but wondered if anyone had any experienced user tips for these packs to make them as comfortable & functional as possible.

Thanks
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I have a J107 and have only been using it one year. One tip I'll offer is to buy a rain cover for it. The pack gets quite heavy when wet. So far I like mine, though I think it would fit a tad better if my torso were a bit longer.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by shearej View Post
    One tip I'll offer is to buy a rain cover for it.
    I kinda wish these internal frame manufacturers would make built in rain flys on these packs. Cabelas does it on some of their external frames, but that doesnt really help if you want a badlands or Eberlestock.

Default Eberlestock Info...

Check out some Eberlestock reviews HERE

I too own one, the J107. The one thing I see as a complaint is the torso size vs proper fit. Although adjustable some folks think they just don't fit right and the weight is bearing upon their shoulders. If adjusted correctly, you can achieve optimal fit/comfort. The main concept is to keep your weight centered, not too low, not too high. I like to think of it as a turtle shell. If it stays close to the body, and weight is centered and beared on the hips, you'll be gtg... If you have any specif questions, please don't hesitate to ask...
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

Quote Originally Posted by B-radford View Post
    I kinda wish these internal frame manufacturers would make built in rain flys on these packs. Cabelas does it on some of their external frames, but that doesnt really help if you want a badlands or Eberlestock.
    My badlands 2800 has a built in rain fly as well as a buil in pistol holster in the waist, which is what turned me to badlands over the Eberlestock for a daypack even though those eberlestock packs have a sweet rifle holster, as with anything there is tradeoffs:

But I am sure Vance got a sweet deal on the JP9 which for me usually takes presedence over some other features depending on how sweet of a deal it is. Congrats on the pack Vance.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    My badlands 2800 has a built in rain fly
    I saw that on the 2800, I was looking at the 4500 for my fall hunts this year, i might be going out for goats and was hoping that the 4500 would have a built in fly. Not to hijack this thread, but Ak_Lanche, how do you like the 2800? I am between the 2200 and the 2800 for a day pack/meat hauler for shorter weekend trips and a 4500 for week long trips.

As soon as you see me drop a wolf wile you are still trying to get your rifle untangled from the badlands pack you will be in the market for an Eberlestock X-1, I assure you. I think the badlands has some great features but the rifle holster is way to sweet on a sled. It is less great on a wheeler because it tends to hit the rear fender, but on a sled it slides neatly to the side of the seat and is lightening quick to get out and get on target. The holster also keeps the optics clean and snow free without warming it up so that it fogs when you try and use it.

I looked hard at the J107 for mountain hunting and it is such a neat/versatile pack but I am just unsure of it's ability to comfortably haul the really monster loads. I would certainly like to hear your field reports. Honestly though even if it didn't cut it for long distance heavy sheep goat hunts it would still be a rocking pack for alpine black bear and deer hunts. Not to mention the fact that it would work great as a day hunting pack with a meat frame in reserve for moose or bou. The expandability would let you haul a load of meat (straps, neck, loins, boned ribs etc) back immediately after the kill then you could return w/ your meat frame for the rest of the loads.

My badlands 2800 has a built in rain fly as well as a buil in pistol holster in the waist, which is what turned me to badlands over the Eberlestock for a daypack even though those eberlestock packs have a sweet rifle holster, as with anything there is tradeoffs:

But I am sure Vance got a sweet deal on the JP9 which for me usually takes presedence over some other features depending on how sweet of a deal it is. Congrats on the pack Vance.

That's exactly why I went with the J107, as a day hunting pack realizing I'd still use a frame for hauling heavier loads (i.e. moose quarters). I basically wanted a pack that could carry gear for an all day hunt where I'd be returning to camp or a vehicle at the end of the day. I realize there are many day packs that fit this category. But I also wanted a bit extra room just in case I wanted to go 2-3 days out of a spike camp.

I wore mine on two moose hunts last year. When my wife shot her cow moose I didn't attempt to fit a quarter in the pack, though I did roughly size it up. I'm not so sure it would have fit, a quarter from a bull definitely would not have fit. I let my wife wear that pack to carry out the backstraps and other meat while I carried the quarters on my frame. I also wore the pack last December for three days of camping / hunting in some ungodly steep country in Kaua'i. I had it loaded with 50 lbs of gear/equipment and it did well. But for 75+ lb loads, there are definitely better options out there. If I were hiking in someplace for a multi-day goat or sheep hunt and could only take one pack, I probably would not go with the Eberlestock just knowing I may have to carry out a heavy load.

The gun scabbard doubles nicely for carrying pack rod tubes or a tube full of arrows.

Jeff

Thanks for all the help guys.

I did get a decent deal on the pack. Thought long & hard about what the pack would be doing 90% of the time. Mostly spot & stalk black bear. There will be moose hunting for it too, but there will be a frame pack in camp or at the truck.
    I'm still trying to figure out all the differences between the J9 & others in the line. The shelf on the J9 is larger being square on the end that the buckles are on rather than tapering. It has 2 vertical straps on the corners that attach to the top for support & vertical compression rather than only one in the center. I looked at the Eberlestocks at SW while in town a couple days ago & none of them (Dragonfly, etc) had the larger meat shelf. They claim than not having the scabbard compartment makes the load ride closer to the back & makes it a bit more stable. I do want to get a detachable side scabbard with cover so I can use it for my guide gun on canoe trips with our church youth group. Will protect the gun nicely while in the boat & loading & unloading at portages. I will probably order the rain cover at the same time.

I'll let you know how it works.
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Eberlestock...

Provided you do go with one (say the J107), please keep in mind that when purchasing, it is cheaper to buy this: Kit & Caboodle over the pack alone. More $$$ up front, but a great concept. One last pitch, buy plenty of lashing straps. The weight is minimal, but to secure a heavy load (sheep, moose/elk quarter, cape/horn, ect) these will come in very handy!
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

Quote Originally Posted by B-radford View Post
    I saw that on the 2800, I was looking at the 4500 for my fall hunts this year, i might be going out for goats and was hoping that the 4500 would have a built in fly. Not to hijack this thread, but Ak_Lanche, how do you like the 2800? I am between the 2200 and the 2800 for a day pack/meat hauler for shorter weekend trips and a 4500 for week long trips.
    B-radford,

I was stuck between the 2200 and the 2800 for a while. But ended up with the 2800 simply because the little more space wouldn't hurt. Also I liked the batwing design better as well. Still small enough as a comfortable day pack and you can use the pocket were you would put the but end your a rifle to place the knee end of quarter of a moose and wrap batwings around the main portion of the quarter (not that it would be as comfortable as a pack frame, but it could save you an extra trip too). I also like the pistol holster on the waistbelt of the 2800. My TC Contender .410 10" barrel rides nicely there on the snowmachine and I can get at it pronto when the little birdies fly up.

To me I would have simply no use for the badlands 4500. Personally its too small for solo week long trips where you have to haul your kill and camp out in one trip. Just not big enough. I think you'd be better suited with a real expedition pack or a Barney's pack for these types of trips, but thats just what works best for me. You may be able to get by with the 4500.

Here is a pic from last fall hauling out a grizz:

Also I'd like to see ya fit two rifles like this in the scabbord of the Eberlestock :

Which came in handy when the other guy is hauling an animal out.

Also don't let the fox I shot a few months ago know that I had to "dig" my rifle out of my badlands while riding my snowmachine, he might come back to life once he hears that I should have never gotten my rifle out in time.

Like I said before, different people want different things in each pack. So figure out what features you want/like and then figure out which one suits you best.

Good luck.

[Also I'd like to see ya fit two rifles like this in the scabbord of the Eberlestock :

Which came in handy when the other guy is hauling an animal out.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Actually with the "Butt Bucket" accessory on the JP-9 you would have the same basic thing...
    http://www.eberlestock.com/JP9%20Blue%20Widow.htm

Those same pics from a year ago are what got me looking at these type of packs!
    You guys are inspiring
    Vance in AK.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    [Those same pics from a year ago are what got me looking at these type of packs!
    You guys are inspiring
    I accept no responsibility for you spending money on day hunting packs.

I accept no responsibility for you spending money on day hunting packs.
    I blamed you for my Guide Gun too!
    My wife wants your home address.....
    Vance in AK.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    I blamed you for my Guide Gun too!
    My wife wants your home address.....
    Come on now, I'm not the only one on here with these daypacks or a guide gun, you can't just pin this on me, you gotta share the blame.

I am not saying that the fox would come back to life I am just saying that if I had been with you on that trip the fox would now be on my wall instead of yours

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I am not saying that the fox would come back to life I am just saying that if I had been with you on that trip the fox would now be on my wall instead of yours
    Good point.