Thread: eddie bauer first acent gear

Default eddie bauer first acent gear

With all the threads on raingear, hunting pants/jackets etc I was wondering if any one has tried the eddie bauer first acent line of gear,mainly there mountain guide pant and jacket or the front point jacket. Or maybe some of you guys that are more knowledgable on materials etc would have some input.
    Thanks

no i haven't. it has been out for just about a month i think. i'm not buying any until i can see it in person or there are good reviews on it. there are some layer pieces that i like. not sure if anyone in anchorage will carry it?

This is going to sound interesting but I really WANT to be excited about this gear! Sadly I am just not. I don't care for soft shell pants, i find the just to warm for most of what I do. They would be great for the above snow line stuff and probably for OCT goat in some areas but I just don't see them as being a good choice for alpine bears or sheep during the seasons that i hunt. Perhaps Brooks range in Sept. I would really like to actually lay hands on it to really get a good feel for how it will handle but going by the website descriptions I doubt that any will find it's way into my pack in the near future.

Default DWR-coated polyester?

Not much other info on their website (www.firstascent.com) about the waterproofing/breathability technology on First Ascent's Ranier Storm Shell Jacket. Jacket: $349 and pants $200. Just that it's polyester with DWR coating.

I'm not sure where DWR-coated polyester fits in the performance spectrum when it comes to waterproof/breathability, but for that price range, based on the breathability data that Lujon posted (in a link) on that eVent thread (http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ighlight=event), I think I'd be shopping for:

Top drawer choices: eVent or other "expanded PTFE", maybe Shoeller Dryskin Extreme.

Second drawer choices: Probably Nextec from Patagonia Velocity, Gore Tex XCR waterproof/breathability technologies, all of which seem to offer best breathability/waterproof performance for active outdoors users.

Simms waders employ Gore membrane laminates effectively, but the "top drawer" choices might offer best breathability.

That breathability data comes from the Natick Labs, a US Army materials test center that developed their own comparisons of technical fabrics for use in US military outwear, and so should be free of commercial bias. Maybe I misunderstood something, but DWR coated polyester did not appear to have been included in their tests.

Backpackinglight.com, one of the other links (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...ear/index.html) might look at the gear you are interested in for comparison if you contact them:

"Do you know of a product that is not in the Gear Guide but should be? Please Contact Us and provide a link to its specifications and a photo on the Web".

Good luck.

Thanks for the responses I to will be waiting for more reviews and would like to see them in person but that might not be possible for no stores even close. I am more interested in the guide pant for late sheep and goat hunts (oct/nov) Use to always wear wool last couple years have worn sitka 90% pant and got a pair of mammut champs this spring to try but not sure if they will be good for the late hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by bayou View Post
    With all the threads on raingear, hunting pants/jackets etc I was wondering if any one has tried the eddie bauer first acent line of gear,mainly there mountain guide pant and jacket or the front point jacket. Or maybe some of you guys that are more knowledgable on materials etc would have some input.
    Thanks
    Some recent information on Eddie Bauer.

http://www.thedeal.com/dealscape/200...ddie_bauer.php