Thread: Steece on Sunday, anyone been up lately?

Question Steece on Sunday, anyone been up lately?

Hey folks, I have to de-stress after the test I have to take this morning. So tomorrow I am planning to take a half dozen guns, a wife and some gear up as far as the Miller House site. Has anyone been up on the Steece lately? What are the road conditions like? Temp? Any wildlife poking it's head out? How much snow? Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by smallmonzter View Post
    Hey folks, I have to de-stress after the test I have to take this morning. So tomorrow I am planning to take a half dozen guns, a wife and some gear up as far as the Miller House site. Has anyone been up on the Steece lately? What are the road conditions like? Temp? Any wildlife poking it's head out? How much snow? Thanks all!
    Reading the above...I just can't help but wonder...who's wife are you taking

Any updates on the Steece would be good to hear. Please let us know how it looks when you get back.

Default Late Start

Yeah, that wife thing...I'm just picking one up at Sportsman's Warehouse. Ya' know, the clearance model from last season. I don't wanna pay too much, it might end up getting returned! HAHA, yeah, I'll post later on! We're on our way out now. WIsh us luck!

Default Update

We went as far as 12 mile summit. Roads are all clear. It was 36 degrees and VERY windy from about the end of the pavement to 12 mile summit. Chatanika river is about 5-6 feet above normal levels. Still quite a bit of snow once you get past Davidson Ditch. No critters yet. We did see some beavers though! HAHA!!! I love those things! Hilarious...anyhow... Nice drive even without any critters.

Default Update

Went all the way to the hotsprings in Central. Still lots of snow up high. The snow did limit where we could go with the wheelers. We had two inches of snow dropped on us Wednesday night.

We only cut one track, that appeared to be a day or so old. We did not see enough sign in the mountains that would make me say the bears were out for good yet.

We did see about 20 bou in small herds spread out. Also, a couple moose down low. The best sighting of all was outside Chatanika. A big ole sow grizz and her fat 1 yr old cubs came running off a mountain from about a mile out. We stopped where we thought they would cross the road, and they crossed about 20 yards in front of us. Great to see some amazing critters that close. Did I mention those bears looked like they made it through the winter with plenty of fat to spare.

Overall it was a great 2-day trip in some beautiful contry. Gotta get off here. I am off on my next 2-day excursion south, looking for a fat Mother's Day bear for momma.

Default good deal

Hey man, sounds like you all saw a bunch of good critters. Congrats! We are headed down south next weekend to see what we can scrounge up. Good luck!