Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Sockeye one of the best eating salmon?

Default Are Sockeye one of the best eating salmon?

What are the best eating fish in Alaska ?? Do Sockeye rank up there or are the silvers better , I don't like a strong tasting fish , we will be up in August and I wanted to try a few . The only problem is I hear the RV rental people fine you 500.00 if the RV comes back smelling like fish !!!! Thought I would do the campfire thing if there are fire pits at the campgrounds .

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

of course this is a personal prefference but for me sockeye is my favorite.

I find sockeye is the best untouched salmon (no marinade), but kings or silvers take and hold a marinade much better.

Default silvers and kings

I don't like the stronger tasting salmon either... so I like the silvers and kings the most. The silvers have firmer meat than a big king.

Reds are great eating. Take a small grill or a coleman stove and cook is outside. Cooking t hem on the grill is great, butter, salt, lemon pepper and wrap in aluminium foil and put on the grill. Doesn't take long.

Smile great taster....

Just reading this makes me hungry! Lets assume the fish is fresh and cared for properly. By that I mean killed and bleed quickly. Then ate fresh or vac packed. My order of taste on salmon is always a King Salmon that weighs about 30 lbs. After that it is the Red, Silver and Pink. Then lets put a slab on the grill. Set a pan of apple or alder wood soaked in water under it so the fish is cooked by that smokey steam. Sea salt, light on the garlic and a little dill. Smear the mayo on it, drip Tiger Sauce all over it and grind some lemon pepper on it. Do it right and you don't need tarter sauce. Never over cook salmon. When it is all done call me and I will show you how to eat it in large quanaties!

Silvers - marinate in 1/2 teryaki souce/ 1/2 water for about a half hour. Grill until just done and then brush with melted butter and dill.......Yum.

My real favorite though is sockeye. I especially like to smoke it as the texture and flaking are beautiful. I often do whole filets which everyone goes ooooh! over at parties.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Just reading this makes me hungry! Lets assume the fish is fresh and cared for properly. By that I mean killed and bleed quickly. Then ate fresh or vac packed. My order of taste on salmon is always a King Salmon that weighs about 30 lbs. After that it is the Red, Silver and Pink. Then lets put a slab on the grill. Set a pan of apple or alder wood soaked in water under it so the fish is cooked by that smokey steam. Sea salt, light on the garlic and a little dill. Smear the mayo on it, drip Tiger Sauce all over it and grind some lemon pepper on it. Do it right and you don't need tarter sauce. Never over cook salmon. When it is all done call me and I will show you how to eat it in large quanaties!
    Oh, you mean one like this??

Or maybe a smaller one like this??

We already had a couple of fresh ones this week on the barbeque Some nice "groceries" on our last few days of fishing down here!

Sorry, none left for you & Ce. But I'll put ya on some open seats around the end of the month so you can have some too ... just smoke me up some more brisket to have alongside it!

Oh and my 2 cents ... early run kings in any form far and away #1! Sockeye are good, but a little strong to make it my top choice

Default Copper River Red

Copper River Reds are my favorite, but other Reds, Kings and Silvers are nothing to turn your nose up at. I have not yet had Lower River Yukon King, but the fat content is very high and should be a very tastey fish - one of these days.

-hiker

Default Not up for debate

Not up for debate.....Sockeye......Best for smoking, best for grilling....Not a question.
    Marc Theiler

Spring salmon rule. (ie Kings)

King, Silver and Sockeye are great! I cant stand Chums or Pinks.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I prefer the silvers over all
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Having lived here just a year

my vote is:
    ((Drum roll))

PREMIUM QUALITY

BUMBLE BEE (Americas Favorite Salmon)
    ALASKA
    PINK SALMON
    Net Wt 14.7 oz (418)
    Ingredients: Pink Salmon, Salt
    "Quality you can see"

This stuff is always fresh!!!

First run Kenai/Russian Sockeye, fresh that day, on the grill with a tad bit of salt and pepper....Best salmon ever!

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Hands down the best!

Kings for me... nothing else even comes close for mouth appeal.

A nice thick belly slab off this one will do just fine. (Hey TRBO, Curt never mentioned anything about that fine springer when I called him on the river last Sunday!)

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by hiker View Post
    Copper River Reds are my favorite, but other Reds, Kings and Silvers are nothing to turn your nose up at. I have not yet had Lower River Yukon King, but the fat content is very high and should be a very tastey fish - one of these days.

-hiker
    Yo Hiker-

If you were blindfolded, could you honestly tell the difference (in taste) between a Copper River Red, and a Kenai Red? ...I sure as heck couldn't!

OK ,Looks like the sockeye is right near the top and then the silvers . Now what are my chances of getting into the Sockeye in the middle of August north of Anchorage in Montana or willow creek ?? Are they ok if there already bright red ?? We will be south of Anchorage also near the Kenai but not sure exactly where yet .

White kings are number one for me and a close tie would be Columbia R summer steelhead... These fish give sockeye a run for their money in body fat!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast