Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speer Hot Cor Effectiveness on Moose and Bear

Default Speer Hot Cor Effectiveness on Moose and Bear

Hello Handloaders,

In the face of increasing reloading components prices.......I was considering the Hot Cor as my non premium buget bullet of choice. Regardless of opinion I'm still going to load up some 250 grain 358 hot cor handloads. Anybody have a field report on the Hot-Cor's effectiveness on our Alaskan Game??

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Hello Handloaders,

In the face of increasing reloading components prices.......I was considering the Hot Cor as my non premium buget bullet of choice. Regardless of opinion I'm still going to load up some 250 grain 358 hot cor handloads. Anybody have a field report on the Hot-Cor's effectiveness on our Alaskan Game??
    I have done extensive terminal ballistics tests on the Speer Hot Core Bonded bullets, and found them to be wonderful. They were 97% to 94.5% retained wt. fired at 3' to 5' from muzzle into skinned-out Brown Bear carcass, starting at the neck/spine bone. They are classic mushroom, not banana. Test was 250 Gr. .338 Win. Mag. I do NOT consider them second rate bullets. To me it gets the job done, I don't the latest wonder bullets, just bullets that work.

I haven't killed moose with them, but I have killed bears and caribou with 200gr. Hot Cores in my '06. Before I switched over to Accubonds a few years ago, they were my main bullet. Absolutely nothing wrong with them, and I'd definitely use them again.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Perfectly good bullets. They hold together well and will get the job done. Just because they are not state of the art doesn't mean they don't get the job done. They are leaps and bounds better than bullets available 20 or more years ago which also got the job done.

I have shot 6 deer out of a 358WIN with this bullet. Punche a 50 cent size hole out the off sie and you could eat right up to the hole, unlike my 243! Never got a bullet back, no lead fragments anywhere. Shot one at 25 yds, the rest about 100-125 yds.

Good bullet, recommended

You didn't say how fast you were going to push that bullet. If impact velocity is 2600/2700 or less that bullet should work great like any other normal bullet will. This is just my opinion but I don't see a need for the super bullets at impact speeds below about 2700. The Speer,Hornady, Rem,Win, Sierra, whatever bullets have worked great for a long time at reasonable speeds. If you have some new whizbang magnum that pushes 250 gr 35s at 3000 or so you might want to get a better bullet and a thick recoil pad. My 358 Norma pushes a 250 at 2880 and it's not getting premium bullets at $1/$2 each.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I don't see a need for the super bullets at impact speeds below about 2700.
    Me Neether.
    Smitty of the Nawrth
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack49 View Post
    Perfectly good bullets. They hold together well and will get the job done. Just because they are not state of the art doesn't mean they don't get the job done. They are leaps and bounds better than bullets available 20 or more years ago which also got the job done.

You def. described them well for the most part. Bonding the core to the jacktet is leaps and bounds better and is also state of the art. I've described in other posts what a moose's shoulder bone did to the 200 grain interlock that I used last season. It destroyed the bullet.....even with an impact velocity in the 2,500-2,600fps. range. It peeled that bullet all the way back far enough for the lead core to seperate. The speer hot-cor 250 grain has some weight behind it, has a "real" bonded core and costs a fraction of the premium bullets. Regardless of the 358 winchester's moderate velocity......we're talking about a 250 grain, 35 caliber bonded core bullet hitting that bear or moose at 2,400 fps......should do well for a "budget" bullet.

I too use the Speer hot-core bullets, mostly in a 30-30. The reason is that due to their slightly more streamlined shape they have a higher ballistic coefficient that all the other brands. (EXCEPT for the new Hornady Lever-Revolution bullets, that I haven't tried yet)
    The only game I've shot with a Speer bullet is a bull moose with a 375 H&H, and a Speer 285gr "Grand Slam", at approximently 90 yards. Needless to say, the slug went all the way through, leaving a quarter-sized exit hole behind the far shoulder, blowing a rib nearly in half in the process. Went down in it's tracks without taking a step...
    I'd say there's nothing wrong with Speer bullets...they work fine. Yes, there's better, but you're gonna pay double or triple for them...

Marshall/Ak

Don't over look the 220gr Hot Core FP in the 358win either for black bear and moose its a good choice. But the 250grainer at 2300fps MV should go clean through any moose.

DR mike on noslers forum uses them and the 35whelen site from Ontario has alot of 358 caliber bullet performance data (35rem,356win,358win,35whelen).

Thumbs up

I shoot them.. 350 gr HOT-CORE 's (.458 Lott round ) they were made for cape buffalo/elephant. In My 45-70 at 2250 fps , mushrooming to 1/2 dollar+ size .....the Moose go backwards in time. the 325 gr leverelotion rounds go 2050fps and only mush to a .25cent piece...but than again they don't cause that red blotch on my shootin shoulder either...
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

I shoot Speer 250 gr in my Whelens accurate and have worked great on big moose.

Mariner_in_ak
    I haven't seen the pics of the 200gr interlokt, but if this bullet was designed for the 35rem, which I think it was, I can well believe that it exploded. Matching a bullet to impact velocity is important. Most of the premium bullets were brought out to work with the newer super mags. Many don't work well at low velocity and shouldn't be used at 35rem speeds. Most normal bullets will work up to 2600/2700 but not all. This year I put a speer .308 180btspt normal bullet through a moose at impact speed of about 2800+. I am just assuming that it worked ok as the moose died but the bullet kept going. The Speer Hot Core in 250gr from a 358Win won't explode unless shot against steel or a rock. It should be a very good bullet for expansion and penetration at that speed.

Talking

The 220gr speer is perfect for the 356win speeds 2350fps and Dr Mike from Alberta has shot grizzly and I think buffalo with them. I have used the 220 bb ammo on one Mi buck. A shoulder shot with out bone contact. So as much meat as a deer can offer but expantion was not what I expect for a 35rem bullet. It ran say 75-100 yards and died. This 220 would go north to south on any deer but I would say its needs +2300mv for better expantion. In short unless its a elk/moose its not a good 35rem bullet. I chrony the BB 220gr ammo at 2070fps in my 336D.

This is still a good 358win bullet and a good one for caribou/deer/black bear for sure. Use it for most shooting and then the 225gr partition its called for.

The hornady RN at close 35rem velocities expands more and lose more weight than any other .358 200 RN bullet and at 100 yards at 35rem velocities stops expanding completly. Its a bad choice for a 356/358. If you want a great 200gr RN its the CoreLokt and it is loaded by a few 358win custum ammo makers.

Other good 358win bullets are 200gr Corelokt PSP & Interlock, 225gr Sierra BT & Partition, 250gr Speer HC, Partition & Interlock.

I think the 250gr Hot core at 358win velocities will penitrate more because it expands to a smaller dia while retaining more wieght something needed on realy big animals.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Hello Handloaders,

I haven't done penetration tests on anything other than a dirt bank, but they sure shoot good out of my 358 Norma Mag
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Talking I Really like speer bullets

I believe they are the best bullet for the money.. I also believe all those "premium" are overkill & don't kill any better than a good ol speer. I have done several test w/ all bullets & the speer outside of a barnes holds together the best w/ great penetration. I have converted some long time Nosler guys to speer bullets w/ total satisfaction. My mato is what can speer do for you ?? I got a garage & home filled w/ speer success stories.

I have used speer bullets for over 40 years and love them. they are a fine game bullet. You will not go wrong using them. Enjoy. J.

As someone mentioned above, traditional cup core bullets work very well when the muzzle velocity is 2700 fps or under, and if you drop that to 2500 fps things are even better.

IMHO the 358 win is best with 225 gr bullets, as that will give you a muzzle velocity of ~2500 fps, with a 200 yd zero, just hold on the vitals out to 250 yds.

I can't see using 250 gr bullets out of the 358 win, as muzzle velocity is down to 2200-2300 fps. I don't think you'll gain any terminal performance and you'll give up some point blank range.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I would agree with Paul H, on all that, what he said there.

I think he knows some poo, poo.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Using 250gr Hot Core bullets in my 358Win Hawkeye at present I am getting with W748 moving at 2411fps. Will finish my testing this Saturday Morning and will let you all know how it turned out as I try and tweak this load, as I am developing a heavy for caliber load and getting better velocity with the Speer than the Hawk or Partition.

Point blank 239yds zero 203yds -5" at 255yds muzzle energy 3227lbs game weight 1314pounds
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast