Thread: Need help planning a packrafting (mostly rafting) trip

Default Need help planning a packrafting (mostly rafting) trip

Ok so I have been toying with the idea hiking to Chulatna Lake from Petersville then floating lake creek from the lake to Bulchitna Lake and flying out from there.

However, I am now looking at a LOT less hiking and a LOT more floating trip of floating from Petersville bridge on Peters Creek down to the Kahlitna. Then down the Kahlitna 5 miles roughly to where the Kahiltna is roughly 1.5 miles away from Lake Creek. Hike that 1.5 miles through the woods with hte packraft. Air up the packrafts again and float all the way to Bulchitna Lake and get flown out from there.

Anyone have any experience floating peters creek?? How doable is this trip?? Looks good on paper, but just looking for some people that have some hands on experience. Seems like a cool way to get some fishing (maybe not for kings) as I will be floating it probably sometime in July.

Thanks for any info.

Smile Been following your

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Ok so I have been toying with the idea hiking to Chulatna Lake from Petersville then floating lake creek from the lake to Bulchitna Lake and flying out from there.

However, I am now looking at a LOT less hiking and a LOT more floating trip of floating from Petersville bridge on Peters Creek down to the Kahlitna. Then down the Kahlitna 5 miles roughly to where the Kahiltna is roughly 1.5 miles away from Lake Creek. Hike that 1.5 miles through the woods with hte packraft. Air up the packrafts again and float all the way to Bulchitna Lake and get flown out from there.

Anyone have any experience floating peters creek?? How doable is this trip?? Looks good on paper, but just looking for some people that have some hands on experience. Seems like a cool way to get some fishing (maybe not for kings) as I will be floating it probably sometime in July.

Thanks for any info.
    Hello Alaska_lanche,

I have extensive years of first hand experience on all the streams as well as overland in summer and winter to the areas your talking.

Been following your threads with regards to packing overland to Lake Creek and running packrafts just shy of the Yentna confluence. Has all the makings of a great trip challenge. You actually have more options here than Peters Creek and the Kahiltna parts like accessing via the north or south routes to the Dollar mine streams and one much less bushwhacking step by starting in the higher country. Particularly as things dry out a bit...tho' still gonna be mudville in many spots... all the old gold trails/roads (like parts of the Collinsville) are still there if you take your time look ahead, and navigate effectively.

Prepare for serious bog trots and bugs.

Brian,

Thanks. Yeah I was looking into hiking the Dollar Creek Mine areas as well. Be nice to get dropped off in the higher country if I was going to start out at the top of Lake Creek. But the Peters Creek option is only 1.5 miles of hiking all the way from Petersville Bridge to Bulchitna Lake (Yes I am lazy at times ) Thats what appealed to this route. I will most likely be PMing ya here in the near future when I figure out more detailed questions at what not. What class of water is Peters Creek downstream of the petersville bridge?? Thanks again for your input.

Peters creek is an easy float all the way down to the kahiltna provide there is enough water to get you down there. There was a couple of spots that look scary but they turned out to be no big deal.

I've done that float 2 times. First time was great, we did run into one section of water where it wasnt deep enough to float a couple of cats and had to drag on for a ways. 2nd time, well it turned into a hike, there was no water!

So no worries about any whitwater, Just if there is enough water! But that being said, there are some spots in that creek that look like they could hit class 3 or so if there was alot of water in that creek.

But lets see last time I did this trip was 9 years ago...

Thumbs up Packrafting Peters Creek to Kahiltna over to Lake Creek

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Brian,

Thanks. Yeah I was looking into hiking the Dollar Creek Mine areas as well. Be nice to get dropped off in the higher country if I was going to start out at the top of Lake Creek. But the Peters Creek option is only 1.5 miles of hiking all the way from Petersville Bridge to Bulchitna Lake (Yes I am lazy at times ) Thats what appealed to this route. I will most likely be PMing ya here in the near future when I figure out more detailed questions at what not. What class of water is Peters Creek downstream of the petersville bridge?? Thanks again for your input.
    rimfirematt summed up floating the lower Peters Creek (below Forks Roadhouse & Bridge) to the Kahiltna. Not a too demanding stretch of water, some boulders and shallows, mostly Class 1-2 easy.

As rimfirematt pointed out you can take full sized loaded rafts down most of Peters Creek day trippin' even well above the Forks Roadhouse. To combine upper and lower it is at least an overnighter. Peters Creek can get low at times and also come up pretty steadily during rains.

Sport fishing and filming salmon back in the day was good on Peters Creek... Some Really Big Kings - but not 100% on regulations or closures that seem to generally be in effect on this stretch nowadays.

That mile and a half pack will by no means suggest you being lazy as you'll find out!

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post

So no worries about any whitwater, Just if there is enough water!
    Having enough water shouldn't be much of an issue in the packraft. They don't draw much water, and can float over some very shallow stretches just fine. Worst case scenario, you stand up and carry the raft a few feet. It's a little bit nicer than dragging a heavy, full-sized boat!

No your right, you will be able to get away with alot with those packrafts. But the one time I went, the water was only ankle deep for a mile or so. and not much better in many stretches.

Dont let that discourage you though it was a great trip and Id like to do it again.

All true..however, the fourth or fifth time I did this trip it went from mellow gin clear trout trip to over its banks chocolate thunder/cottonwood dodging thrill ride. I always wondered how whole cottonwoods came to be sitting on top of 10 foot boulders in the middle of the creek. One of my favorite trips ever, it rained as hard as it can for 4 days straight. We planned on really milking our way down to the mouth over five days but we cut it short by one day. Really enjoyed it under tarp city every night, even enjoyed awesome fires thanks to white gas and strategic tarp placement. The rafting was phenomenal.