Thread: removing outboard jet unit

Default removing outboard jet unit

Im trying to get the lower jet unit off of my motor so I can inspect/replace the water pump impellor.

How do I do this? It looks like there are 8 bolts behind the jet impellor. I think That I remove the outer four and the one bolt that is outside. the inner 4 bolts look like they hold a bearing housing that I dont want to open up

Also if anyone can give me a how-to on the water pump that would be great too. but I imagine all probably get a service manual tommorow.

The motor is a Johnson 1994 60 horse if that matters.

You will have to take the entire jet unit off the motor. To do that, you have to take the shoe off and the impeller out in order to reach two bolts that are up inside the jet housing if I remember right. Some models will let you take the entire pump off with only two (or three) bolts that are visible at the midsection of the shaft without taking the shoe off. That bearing housing you are speaking of sounds like the water pump housing. The water pump is driven by the main drive shaft so you will have to take the 4 bolts out of the housing and slide the cover up the shaft a bit to see the rubber impeller.

Not sure if I am fully picturing what you are seeing...
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thumbs up You're thinking right...

The four smaller bolts up inside there hold the impeller shaft bearing housing to the main jet housing. You don't have to mess with them. Take the outer four bolts off like you mentioned as well as the rear external bolt and the whole jet unit will slip right off. If water has managed to find it's way into the splined end of the impellor shaft where it slides into the end of the crankshaft and rusted thing up, you may have to tug a bit. Once you've got it off, you'll see the water pump sitting on top of the jet unit, also held on with 4 bolts. I'm not completely familiar with the smaller OBs, but if you purchase a complete water pump rebuild kit, it should contain everything needed to get you through a few more years of running. Take care to replace any o-rings and/or seals, if used, and make sure you orient the new pump impeller vanes in the correct direction when reassembling into the water pump housing. You sound pretty observant...it's a pretty straight-forward process if ya take your time & watch how things come apart so you can get them all back together again correctly.

Hope this helps!

Brian

Default Rimfirematt

Call john, sircatchalot, take you boat over there, he will show you how to do it in 15 mins. It's super easy. Tell him tim sent ya.

Thanks everybody I got it off. I had actually just posted this and John called me.

The drives shaft on the thing has about an 1/8 inch of play or better in it moving it around like a Joystick.... I bet that aint good.