Thread: Charging Batteries Question

Question Charging Batteries Question

Is there anything wrong with charging both batteries with a battery charger at the same time with the selector in the "both" selection? Do I need to disconnect the outboard first? Figured it would be an easy way to "top off" the batteries befor the first outing.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Yes, there is something wrong with it. I am not an expert about this but I have been told not to do this. I believe it has to do with the potential to not fully charge each battery. This is especially true when the batteries are not the same. I would suggest charging them separately.
    20' Wooldridge Sport 08' 150hp E-Tec
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

How are both batteries charged when you run your boat?

On my boat I have an acr relay that allows the engine to charge both of them, but they are on independent circuits unless I put the switch in the both position.

To top off, I just put the battery charger on one battery, and the really switches them back and forth for both to be charged.

Loop your batteries with one of the relays available and you will be charging both batteries from one charging source. I leave my switch "off" to isolate the electronics from the charging voltages an AC charger will put out. I have been using these for several seasons now with great results, both in the boat and plow truck:

http://www.yandina.com/c100InfoR3.htm.....

An added benefit is you never have to worry about switching to "both" while on the water as all the batteries will automatically switch into the loop at the appropriate time. The Yandina site has a good tutorial on the theory as well.

When one has a bad cell and still works, or one is 'less' than the other for whatever the reason, they only charge to the capacity of the "weakest" battery. My battery charger reads FUL when it is done, then I unhook and do the next one. Press WET for battery type, then 2 for amps, it will read 2.7 for hours and hours. Then when it is about finished the numbers begin to go down for the next hour or so. 2.4, 2.1, etc. I like to run my stereo during the week while I work on the boat, then top off the battery if I didn't go out for two weeks.

Side note: Run your nav lights whenever you run, keeps corrosion down since we don't use our boats everyday like a car.

You can charge them both at the same time, and you will not hurt anything. The charger should not hurt your electronics -- you don't unhook your battery from your car before you charge it, do you? And when you put your battery switch to 'both' you are putting the two batteries in parallel with a big fat cable, which will equalize them in voltage and then they will charge together.

All that being said, I charge mine separately so I can see how much charge each one is taking and how long it takes to get up to full charge to get a feel for how strong they each are.

Jim