Thread: Need suggestions for easy floats.

Default Need suggestions for easy floats.

I have a sportsmans 9' pontoon raft that I'd like to do some floats with. I've done some whitewater rafting and a few float trips in catarafts but I dont have any experience being the lone rower.

Does anyone have suggestions for some easy, but not too lame, short float trips. I'm just looking to get some experience. It would be nice to catch some fish too. Something along the lines of 3-6 hours of actual floating time.

Any pointers for a beginner are also welcome.

Start at the bridge over the kenai just past the russian campground road. Just park in the pullout on the otherside of the bridge and drag your boat downt to the river. Float on down to the skilak loop road takeout. Jims landing I think is what its called.

Its a good easy float. THe most exciting thing is that first corner you round with a couple of big rocks, but they are easily avoided.

I do this trip all the time with 8FT Outcast Cougars.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Start at the bridge over the kenai just past the russian campground road. Just park in the pullout on the otherside of the bridge and drag your boat downt to the river. Float on down to the skilak loop road takeout. Jims landing I think is what its called.

Its a good easy float. THe most exciting thing is that first corner you round with a couple of big rocks, but they are easily avoided.

I do this trip all the time with 8FT Outcast Cougars.
    About how long does it take?

~2 hours if you're not fishing.
    Or You can put in at Kenai Lake boat launch and float to the take out at Sportsmans (Russian River Ferry). I think thats about 4 hours if you float straight through.

Portage Creek: class I for 2-3 hours. Eagle River from mile 7.1 (or is it 9.1?) on Eagle River Road to Briggs Bridge (Eagle River Loop Road): flat water for 4-6 hours. Eagle River from campground to Bravo Bridge on Ft. Rich: class II+ for 2-3 hours. (Get a pass at the Ft Rich gate.) Matanuska River from the Old Glenn Hwy Bridge to the new one: class I for I don't know how long. Any other section of Matanuska River below Hicks Creek: Class I-II. Little Susitna anywhere below Hatcher Pass Road: class I or flat water, but the upper sections have some sweepers to avoid. Willow Creek below the Red Gate Section: class I-II, but with sweepers, and one new log jam. Lyon Creek from Turnagain Pass to Granite Creek Campground: Class II for 2-3 hours, but it is swift, tight & twisty. Granite Creek from the camp ground to Sixmile Creek put in: class I for 2-3 hours, but don't go any farther.

I'm sure I'm missing some.

I dont know where your at, but if you're close to Anchorage try Eagle River. It is pretty fun and mellow float for pontoon boats if you take out above the campground rapids.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgerat View Post
    I dont know where your at, but if you're close to Anchorage try Eagle River. It is pretty fun and mellow float for pontoon boats if you take out above the campground rapids.
    Oh yeah I forgot to mention that. I am in anchorage, so within a 2 hour drive would be ideal.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Default I Started on the Kenai

Kenai Lake to Russian river 4 hours, easy or add some excitment as needed by getting into whitewater.
    Next the Kenai Canyon when my 5hp Honda gets here!