Thread: aleutians brown bear?

Question aleutians brown bear?

A friend mentioned hunting brown bears on the Aleutians and was wondering if there was much of a population, or any, on the islands? I can't recall any talk connecting bears with the islands, but apparently I'm not up to snuff on this subject. Thanks.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Cold Bay is as far as they are know to be. Unimak Island is right there across a small pass and there may be a couple that go over there.

No bears on the rest of the islands unless someone takes them there. However, there is no food from September to late June on the islands so the bears would have a tough time making it through spring and early summer until the pinks showed up. Most the beaches are too rocky to support clam digging without diving. Lots of birds and rats so maybe a little food but the calorie output to get that food is huge.

There is a good population of brown bears on Unimak and there are both spring and fall drawing hunts held on that island. No bears or native big game animals on any islands west of Unimak.

Yup, Unimak/False Pass is the last brown bear population in the Aleutians. They are by drawing only and they only give out a few tags.

On the AKPEN, GMU 9D where I'm located they have alternating fall-spring seasons and you don't need to be drawn to hunt out here. Just puchase a $25 tag and you're good.

This year is a fall hunt next year will be spring. The way it works out is there is an 18 month gap between spring and fall hunts every other year.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    No bears or native big game animals on any islands west of Unimak.
    Their not native but down on Umnak the village of Nikolski has feral cattle. If you ask the elders nicely they will allow you to shoot a 2 yr old bull. If you pay a $50 land use fee. We ate for a week just on the ribs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Bird Brain View Post
    Their not native but down on Umnak the village of Nikolski has feral cattle. If you ask the elders nicely they will allow you to shoot a 2 yr old bull. If you pay a $50 land use fee. We ate for a week just on the ribs.
    The cattle are not native or big game. In the Aleutians there are cattle on Umnak, Akun, and Unalaska Islands. There are also domestic sheep and a fairly large herd of horses on Unalaska.

Talking tough?

The cattle are not native or big game. In the Aleutians there are cattle on Umnak, Akun, and Unalaska Islands. There are also domestic sheep and a fairly large herd of horses on Unalaska.
    Man, those got to be some tough animals out there...since the weather is so atrocious at times (maybe most of the time?). Also, since the hunts are draw, are there any outfitters operating there? That wouldn't make much sense, but maybe enough hunters that draw use them. Thanks.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Default transporters

Are there any transporters who will take a guy out to Unimak for a bear hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by Maydog View Post
    Man, those got to be some tough animals out there...since the weather is so atrocious at times (maybe most of the time?). Also, since the hunts are draw, are there any outfitters operating there? That wouldn't make much sense, but maybe enough hunters that draw use them. Thanks.
    I believe that both Rod Shuh R&R Guide Service and Bear Lake Lodge may be currently or have guided bear hunters on Unimak.

Quote Originally Posted by rickiesrevenge View Post
    Are there any transporters who will take a guy out to Unimak for a bear hunt?
    Rod Shuh or R&R used to fly people in from Cold Bay. Not sure if they still do. When Pen Air would do off field landings with the goose that was an option as well. The Unimak Bear permits are tough to draw.

Where is "Umnak"?

Quote Originally Posted by ihntak View Post
    Where is "Umnak"?
    Grab a map and take a look. Umnak is the next island in the chain west of Unalaska.

Also, I don't appreciate the nasty little PM you sent me.