Thread: Air Taxi to Montague

Default Air Taxi to Montague

Anyone know an air taxi that flies to Montague Island besides Natron? Natron hasn't responded to my phone calls or emails and I don't know if they are out of town/out of business/on vacation or what. I thought there was an air taxi operating out of Seward, but I don't remember their name. Is there another air taxi in Soldotna/Kenai?

Boat based hunt is out of the question financially; looks like $300-$400 per person/per day. Is there a Seward water taxi I can try?

Thanks,
    Tim

Tim - I think Bear Lake Air Service out of Seward flies to Montague.

Default water taxi

taxis from Whittier will go to Montague. I imagine the road MIGHT be cleared by deer season.
    Gary

Ok, I'll try Bear Lake Air.

Tim

I thought Bear Lake Air was no longer flying, let us know if he is. He is in Seward.

Natron is based out of the Soldotna Airport. I talked to Natron at the Sportsmans show. They land in 4 places on Montague (Beach River, Nellie Juan, San Juan & I can't remember the 4th place). It costs $950 per head to fly, doesn't matter if it is one person or 5 people. What ever happened to hourly rates for aircraft? It seemed as though he didn't want to fly to Montague, but would if you were willing to pay..... a lot!

Great Northern out of Merrill Field flys out there sometimes.

JayHawk only flies helicopters now.

I have heard that there is someone out of Cordova, but you have to get to Cordova first.

Prince William Sound is a challenging place to fly in the fall and it seems that there are easier ways for air taxi's to pay there bills. It is very difficult to find transportation to the sound in October, November, & December.

Let us now if you find someone who will fly out there in Oct, Nov, & Dec. There are a number of us who would love to give our business/money to someone. It seems as though an air taxi will do it for a season or two and then quit.

Default boat

Last fall I went with a group of friends. We chartered Alaska Goodtimes Charters. He took us out to Port Chalmers and picked us up a week later. We had 6 guys (pretty crowded in that cabin) and the cost was about 400 per person.

We were allowed more gear weight than a group twice that size would need. No limit on deer weight for the way back.

Richard

Got lots of questions for you. I love Montague and want to start making it an annual trip again. I've never pursued chartering a boat.

Was that out of Seward or Whittier?
    How long was the boat ride?
    I imagine boats have to pick there weather like an airplane.... did that affect your drop off or pick up?
    What time of year did you go?
    Any other info?

Thanks,
    JB

Good questions JRB. I talked to a transporter out of Seward and he let his transporter license slide as it was hard to coordinate with the weather. We've got the beach river cabin rented and no way to get out there. We were wanting to go Oct 17-24ish.

Tim

www.Alaskanelite.com does transporter/ boat based hunts out of Seward. 43 delta and weather doesn't stop him unless it is blowing 35 plus for real. I am not talking big waves in a small boat or blowing 20 with an occasional gust. I may be getting my transport license.. still on the fence and undecided. Honestly though from the business aspect it is not cheap in a plane or boat. I would say boat is less affected by weather. I know guys that took there boats from Seward to Whittier for hunting season, but now you are paying 2 harbor fees and so on...got to go out of business or charge the price. From Seward you only have the pucker factor for about 10 miles... usually. Lots of places to hunt and hide in the sound.

Tell Craig fishwithhill sent you and he will charge you more... just kidding.

Default details

We left from Whittier. I can't remember exactly, and he dropped off another guy at a different island before dropping us off. I want to say it was about 6 hours. The captain said the weather wasn't a factor too much until you got into November. We were there in the middle of October (not a good time to go by the way). As it happened, he couldn't get out to us on our pickup day, so were were there 8 days instead of 7. No big deal, in fact I was able to get an extra deer as a result.

If you don't mind me asking, how come mid-Oct isn't a good time to go? No snow? Too cold? I remember in Oct. 06 it was nearly below zero the whole month. I'd rather go the second week of Nov. but my buddy is insistent on going mid-Oct.

Tim

Default october

I think we hit it right in the middle. There wasn't any snow to speak of so the deer were way up high and spread all over. The weather wasn't that great either. The guy that took us out there had a group out in August and they all got their limit on bucks. Another guy I talked to went out with some friends on a live aboard hunt. They shot their limit right on the beach. Later in the year the snow will push them all the way down from what I hear.

You can hunt Beach River at that time with good success. You may have to hoof it 5 miles, but it's on a dang logging road so it's no bid deal. The last time I went in I flew with Homer Air because Bear Lake hosed us at the last minute and decided to go to the Lower 48 rather than honor his word. Did it to me again in '07 and I'll never call him again..lesson learned. Give Homer Air a call and they should be able to take care of you. A buddy of mine uses a service out of Anchorage, but I can't remember who. Let your fingers do the walking in the Yellow pages.

I'm done with the south side of Montague. For the price of a Beach River hunt I can do an alpine hunt in Kodiak with Seahawk Air for 60% of the price if I have enough airline miles to get down there.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

stimpy

I've tried to contact Bear Lake Air in Seward for years. They never returned my calls, then I think the phone got disconnected or something.

Quote Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
    I've tried to contact Bear Lake Air in Seward for years. They never returned my calls, then I think the phone got disconnected or something.
    The email I sent to Bear Lake Air was returned "undeliverable." I haven't tried to call them yet.

I didn't know about Homer Air, I'll have to try them too. How long is the flight out of Homer? Seems like flying from Anchorage would be more air time and more money.

I don't think we could do Kodiak for less money; Andrews Air wanted $1,200 apiece to fly to/from the sw part of the island; plus air fare & what-not.

Tim

Kodiak usually only pencils out when you use airline miles to get to the city of Kodiak. $1200 in a beaver plus $300 each for airfair to Kodiak works out to about $2100 for the air part. You are easily going to pay $750 each to fly to Montague in a 206 from Anchorage. I'll take Kodiak any day, even though the hotel..etc.. will add another $500 to my trip.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
    I came upon this thread today and thought I would revive it.
    Bear Lake Air is now Bear Mountain Air based in Wasilla and still flying Prince William Sound

Any other options to fly and land on the beach near San Juan?

Natron Air out of Soldotna dropped us off on the beach at San Juan bay two years ago.

Cordova Air is still a good option for Montague on the Pacific side with a 206 on wheels- take the ferry to Cordova and fly out from there. Plan on staying a few extra days due to weather, bring a sat phone. Never go to Montague Island if you are on a tight travel time constraint.