Thread: Anchorage Area Black Bear Hunting

Default Anchorage Area Black Bear Hunting

I'm a lifelong hunter, moved to Anchorage last fall, haven't hunted here yet. I haven't found anyone at work that hunts black bear. I'm getting a little frustrated not knowing where to scout/hunt. I came to Alaska to enjoy hunting and fishing, just haven't been able to yet. So, if anyone needs a hunting partner I'd be happy to join. I'm a safety first guy. Thanks.

Sam

PM sent. I hope it helps.

Brett

go in any direction glass fresh greens and hillsides
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Drive at least an hour in any direction from town and start looking for trailheads. Then spend som time hiking and glassing. Be sure you read the regs a dozen or so times till they make sense.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Regs

Yes, read them and see if they ever make sense...LOL. Wife keeps laughing since I look at them all the time and she says you should have that whole thing memorized by now but every time you look at it you see something you missed or dont really understand what they mean.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    go in any direction glass fresh greens and hillsides
    Are there even fresh greens this early? It doesn't seem like anything would be growing yet.

Sent a PM.

As for green, nothing between Anchorage and Cooper Landing as of last weekend. Some slopes still have quite a bit of snow and some are close to clearing out, but nothing green yet.

If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say that by the 2nd week of May, some of the slopes might start to green. Just a wild guess.

Well I just decided to stay in anchorage an extra day to go look for a bear. I have some general ideas about heading south, but I would really appreciate any info on trailheads that might be good to check out. While I am taking a gun, this is mainly an excuse to get out with a buddy before we split for the summer. This would be my friends first hunting trip, and I would love to show him a bear or two.

Also, for spot and stalk, where do you look for bears if the snow is mostly melted but there isn't much green around? It's been warm for a while, so I have to believe they're out of the dens, but what are they eating?

There is a little green around, if you look in the right place. PM sent.

Also salmon carcases, garbage cans, and bait stations.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    There is a little green around, if you look in the right place. PM sent.

Also salmon carcases, garbage cans, and bait stations.
    I actually noticed some green for the first time about 30 minutes ago. Mainly on the banks of a stream. Definitely something for me to remember tomorrow.

I've done a lot of hunting over bait. It'll be fun to try something a little different.

Hey MissingMontana, I will be out looking for bears from here on out. I am sending you a pm. You are welcome to tag along with me.

Well I went on about an 11 mile hike today. A lot of snow up high. Who would have guessed?? It was pretty brutal sinking up to my hips in just light clothes. We didn't see any animals. Maybe saw some sign, but it was hard to tell. I just never got to a place where I could sit back and glass. The majority of the hike was walking through trees and fairly thick brush. Oh well. Thats why they call it hunting and not shopping right? Still, I really would have liked to show my buddy a bear...

hiked a total of about 10 miles this weekend looking for bears on trails around Seward and saw 0 bears. Did see some fairly fresh grizzly tracks though. I agree that there is not much greenery right now. I did see some along the banks of a stream so I watched the area for a few hours and saw nothing. I think I am going to wait until fall when the berries are in to try to kill a black bear this year. Call me crazy but I like having to climb above the tree line to shoot one.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

I just got back from a weekend on the south end of Johnson's Pass Trail. Snow is melting fast and some slopes are greening. I didn't see anything though. I did see two sets of brown bear tracks on the trail though. I may try again in a couple weeks.

Brett