Thread: Valley Sreams this weekend

Default Valley Sreams this weekend

I'm thinking of taking a trip up to the valley to chase some trout. First of all, does anybody know if any of the streams like willow, montana, little willow, etc, are fishable yet? And I've been looking at the regs and I'm a little confused. Am I OK to fish above the parks until june 15?

Planned on heading up there myself on sat. i heard willow and montana were open last week. The ret of them should be open with all this warm weather
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

alright well I'll most likely be making the trip on saturday night. If nothing else, I'll get a little relaxation after my finals week :S Any idea on the regs?

well read em, they aren't that confusing... I forget specifics but I know they are open from the parks down to C&R only
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

ahh... subtle as usual...
    Montana Creek (for example) you can fish the entire river everyday until June 15 for any species.
    Then it becomes a weekend only (Sat -Mon) salmon fishery through July 13 on the lower section (from the mouth to just above the highway). Then, from July 14th till the end of the year, that lower section, is open to all fishing (except king salmon) everyday.

Above that point (1/2 mile above the Parks Hwy) you can fish for anything except salmon every day of the week, all year long. Only catch and release for trout and grayling.

Clear as mud? Hope this helped.
    A couple more seasons of Alaska fishing and I should be ready for my bar exam at law school.

BTW,... I do not accept any liability for inaccurate information or confusion

Check the emergency orders (EO's) on the ADFG web site before you go fishing anywhere in the state to see if the regs/rules have changed. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog-11 View Post
    A couple more seasons of Alaska fishing and I should be ready for my bar exam at law school.
    Not so fast. I've been licensed to practice law in another state since 2006 and I can barely understand these things.

More like, a couple more seasons of Alaska fishing and you could teach a class on understanding the regs. Or be a highly specific consultant. Whatever these are, law school doesn't seem to help with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog-11 View Post

And oh yeah . . . . That explanation did help (at least me, don't know about the original poster).

My favorite part of the valley regs: No retention of grayling on Willow Creek below the Parks. No rentention of grayling on Will Creek above the Parks.

Does that mean if you stand directly under the Parks it's okay to retain grayling?

hey thanks for the help guys. You cleared it up for me. I was thinking that was the case, but whenever I read those regs its always confusing. I'm just looking for some trout so I'll be OK. Thanks again.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by michigan_mike View Post
    And oh yeah . . . . That explanation did help (at least me, don't know about the original poster).

My favorite part of the valley regs: No retention of grayling on Willow Creek below the Parks. No rentention of grayling on Will Creek above the Parks.

Does that mean if you stand directly under the Parks it's okay to retain grayling?
    By a careful reading of the regs, it appears the waters under the bridge are Unregulated, so it is a free for all. Anything goes.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    By a careful reading of the regs, it appears the waters under the bridge are Unregulated, so it is a free for all. Anything goes.
    this made me laugh
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Have to be careful

You better check with your local road commisioner concerning exactly what the Parks means and what localtion you're able to fish concerning the road known as the parks. It may only be 1ft of stream based on the simple fact they have right-of ways that extend from the middle of the road. That being said the actual road you might be able to fish and retain could be as little as 6 inches to a foot in width limiting your ability to actual fish under the parks bridge.

Now you ask why; Well in theory down from the parks could start just past the middle of the road because of the right of way. Just a thought! If that is the case you're hosed and not really able to fish under the parks.

Yes I am that silly! Darn Regs! I am waiting for single hook, no barb or shank near the hook gap from the eye of the hook to the line artificial only on every other Sunday in Dec no retention of Sculpins or like and or similar fish with gills, fins and eyes.

:-)