Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valdez Halibut Charters

Default Valdez Halibut Charters

Aside from Orion, what other charters bend over backwards to get their clients on heavy weight halibut?

Also, looking for feedback on Chris & Dennis Petre who operate the "Otter Dodger".

I fished 2 days with Dennis a bunch of years ago, well before he got the Otter Dodger, and had a great time. Didn't catch anything but chickens and lingcod but have no complaints, it wasn't for lack of trying, that's fishing. If you go out with the wrong attitude, "I only want to catch hogs" good chance you'll end up dissapointed and have a po'd captain as well, they know the drill. His boat did catch the derby winner couple years ago though, you just never know.

Two types of boat captains, those who do and those who don't...well aware of the consequences of "expecting" fish. Also aware of mediocrity...looking to get out of the trip, what I pay into it.

Thanks for the info on Dennis.

Default Homer

Capt Mike's
    http://captmike.com/

we have been fishing with him for 15 yrs

Default Otter dodger

i booked with him for this summer. Seems like a nice fellow. Some freinds booked with him last year and had a good time and lots of fish. Good luck. Hillbilly

Default I know several....

charter boats out of Valdez, only used them for water taxi, but the No Excuses has won the derby a couple of time, so has Halibut Grove (Captain Mel Grove), those are both very nice fast boats, good captains for what I did. I see them come into the harbor now and then with nice catches. There should be website for these boats. Dale on El Gato is a real nice guy too, used him several time for taxi and always see him cleaning fish for clients. I don't know if he is still operating, didn't see him last year.

Default Halibut charters Valdez

We have been going with Steve Thurneau on the Harvester for years. Steve is a very knoweledgable captain, good fisherman and a real nice guy. Call Greg at Fish Central he can set up your charter for you, we also have Greg vaccum seal and flash freeze our catch. Fish Central # 907-835- 5090, good luck!

Default Otter dodger

Jimmy, go with Dennis, on the Otter Dodger, I fish with him every year, he takes care of military folks. He will try his best to hook you up and will travel further out to his spots.

You couldn't go wrong with Dave on the No Excuses. I use to clean boats for him when I was younger and saw what he brought in every night and he always did really well. He's one of the best in my opinion.

Anyone have the number to Dave Bruss w/ No Excuses? I've tried several Google searches with no luck.

Default Dave I belive is OFP

Jimmy I might be wrong but I thinkg Dave has retired. Mark V and I only fish with Dave all the way bak to Popeyes and Sweet Pea da Boat till last year. I do beleive he is done howeve with everything in life I might be wrong.

Give Bob Summers a call with No Fear Charters. You should remember Bob he worked in the 354th with you back in the day runs a decent operations is willing to chase the big dawgs out 4 hours.

He is down in Valdez setting up this week if you can't get in touch with him call me 907-460-7758 I will track him down.

Moose-O

P.S.

Hope life is good and your ready to come back to AK for life just not a visit.

Bob Summers...there is a name I have not heard in awhile. Is he retired now? Ready to come back, Moose. Will be up in June with work. Assignment cycle is in progress now. No slots to AK, I'm working my angles with "The Boss".

This info is actually for Sebi. Him and his Polish chronies will be up in July. I'll be trying to throw a trip together in June for some of these flatlanders I'm bringing up. We'll chat before I get up there.

Default Real Pleasure Charters

To get a reservation on Real Pleasure Charters call 907-835-5561. The answering machine has Dave as the Captain.

I fished with Orion a few years ago and can't say enough good things about the operation. We fished early, end of April if I remember correctly, and had to go pretty far out, but the boat still limited out. We were throwing back anything under 75 lbs and still had no trouble catching the limit early in the day.

It might have been a fluke, as that was the only time I went with Orion, but I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone. The Captain was extremely helpful and professional. The boat was well maintained and his equipment was top notch.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Captaindd...thanks for the number. I'll pass it to my partner.

Kay9...your experience with Dave was typical. When I have a stable schedule, he is the one I book with. Never caught a 'but less than 75 lbs with him and have always limited. My buddy is traveling from New Jersey and missed the boat, so to speak, with Orion.

Went deer hunting with Dave Bruss and Dan Eames last season...Dan should be calling me back here pretty soon w/Daves number. I don't recall Dave saying anything about not running the boat again this summer but...who knows. Speaking of...Dane Eames on Seaseclusion is another option for you.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

OK...just spoke with Dan Eames...buds with Dave Bruss...I'll PM Dave's # to you but apparently he books through Real Pleasue Charters. He is running the "No Excuses" this summer but I hear he's almost completly booked. Try Dan if Dave's booked...I'm sure Dan has the same GPS points unless Dave erased them all while not looking
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Default No Excuses is fast...

Took a water taxi ride with Dave on No Excuses about 8-9 years ago, went 42 miles in 45 minutes....smooth too!

Default Dave Bruss

Dave started working on the No Excuses in 2001. The No Excuses cruises at 28.5 Knots. I talked with Dave last night and he is going to start around the 20th of May. He said that it looks like most of July and part of August is booked. He was not sure about about June.

Default Halibut Grove

http://www.alaskan-adventures-unlimited.com/

Mel is a heck of a nice guy with a boat that's fast, comfortable, safe and he wore my shoulders off early last June! He was recommended to us because Orion was booked and I'm perfectly happy with the "push". As long as funds hold up, I'll be booking with Mel again this summer. Along with my normal annual trip from Whittier on the AK4STAR. Between Mel & Jody, I think I might have to get a 3rd job just to pay for fishing with great guys that know where the fish are and how to put them in the boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    charter boats out of Valdez, only used them for water taxi, but the No Excuses has won the derby a couple of time, so has Halibut Grove (Captain Mel Grove), those are both very nice fast boats, good captains for what I did. I see them come into the harbor now and then with nice catches. There should be website for these boats. Dale on El Gato is a real nice guy too, used him several time for taxi and always see him cleaning fish for clients. I don't know if he is still operating, didn't see him last year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast