Thread: 338 Ultra Mag going out of service???

Question 338 Ultra Mag going out of service???

I have a pressing question...after several days I have located a Remington 700 in 338 Ultra Mag. I was talking this over with a friend and he and a couple other friends were saying that the 338 Ultra Mag. will soon be non-existent as in being phased out and to think it over before buying it. I was also told 338 Winchester mag is the rout to take. I opted for the Remington 700 in 338 Ultra because of the budget and it comes factory with iron sights as well as a left hand bolt action.

Any pointers on the matter IF the 338 Ultra will be out of service soon?
    Thanks,

dogtag

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

It will be around until Remington quits making money on it. The trouble with some of these new cartridges is that only one manufacturer will chamber firearms for them. That most times spells the end of it. Ammunition for it will be around longer than Remington will produce firearms in it. Remington tried the 20 caliber years ago with the 5mm Remington. Well only Remington chambered firearms for it, it died. But now we have the 204 Ruger and everybody and their brother builds firearms for it. It'll be around for a long time.

Default .338 ultra

A friend of mine has that same rifle. Left hand also. It shoots great! Recoil isn't much diferant from my .338 Win. Shells are a little harder to get but not much. There are some custon rifle makers that are building rifles in it and pushing it as there best Alaskan rifle. With that said I thing it will taper off and ammo will be a little harder to get but they will be making it for MANY years. If you reload it isn't an isue.

Red face 338rum

I just bought a Christensen Arms 338rum. I doubt that ammo will become extinct, but I will probably try to hoard brass just in case

Stock up on any RUM brass you can get your hands on, they can all be used to form 338 RUM brass. The only difference between the 338 RUM brass and the 300 RUM, 375 RUM and 7mm RUM is that the 338 RUM brass is about a 1/10 of an inch shorter. Remington did this because with the heavier 338 bullets the standard length RUM case would have the be crimped over the ogive of the longer 338 bullets. Now with it being shorter they can be crimped as usual.

Thank you all for the informational replys...soo, I take it that by purchasing a Remington 700 in 338 Ultra mag. will not be a bad idea and it should be around for (quite) awhile, 5 or 10 years? I am thinking in the long haul. Please advise. Thanks.

dogtag

If the price is right , buy it.