Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: place to target shoot

Default place to target shoot

When i lived in florida i knew of a bunch of places me and some freinds could go out to the woods at and shoot a few rounds at some tvs and fridges and shoot our potato cannon off. IM trying to find a place i can trap shoot with less regulations and less people i want to be able to take my clay in my thrower and pull the handle myself and shoot the clay. Does anyone know of a place near anchorage where me and some freinds can go out in the woods and do such a thing

Lightbulb Please DO NOT TRASH AK

Quote Originally Posted by ridehard View Post
    When i lived in florida i knew of a bunch of places me and some freinds could go out to the woods at and shoot a few rounds at some tvs and fridges and shoot our potato cannon off. IM trying to find a place i can trap shoot with less regulations and less people i want to be able to take my clay in my thrower and pull the handle myself and shoot the clay. Does anyone know of a place near anchorage where me and some freinds can go out in the woods and do such a thing
    Please DO NOT TRASH ALASKA.... like you mentioned doing to FL and perchance some of those other States you hail from... Respect ALASKA land #1... No open seasons or any good reasons for shooting TVs and kitchen appliances, lobbing junk into the woods, etc.

To answer your question tho'... there are absolutely no places in the woods or around Anchorage to toss your clays without some regulation. However, there are some great opportunities at the ranges both south or north of town, and you may indeed learn a thing or two plus meet some other good shooting folk.

I know what you might intentionally mean here by just having the freedom to go out and do your own thing --- yet that should not involve trashing places. This is part of the very picture as to why there are no more convenient accesses to gravel-pits, river beds, or pull-offs to do a little recreational shooting anymore. People trashed 'em, used unsafe practices, became liability to land owners or managers, and now these areas are posted everywhere --- closed off to reasonable minded folks.

Hope this sinks in. Nothing I've said is meant to ruffle feathers or as a put down. Love Alaska, Respect The Land.

If Im not mistaken, ridehard asked for a place to shoot, not a lecture. I assume he won't throw a TV out there and leave it. And i'm sure he already has a dad. Help the forum out and help the people on here instead of worrying about telling everyone what to do.
    By the way ridehard, there aren't many places at all to shoot around anchorage unless you go to one of the ranges. Kinda sucks not having a place to just go out and shoot, but that's what we deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by cohlp View Post
    If Im not mistaken, ridehard asked for a place to shoot, not a lecture. I assume he won't throw a TV out there and leave it. And i'm sure he already has a dad. Help the forum out and help the people on here instead of worrying about telling everyone what to do.
    By the way ridehard, there aren't many places at all to shoot around anchorage unless you go to one of the ranges. Kinda sucks not having a place to just go out and shoot, but that's what we deal with.
    Very good point. Tone can interfere with the message. could ruffle some feathers.

Not mine however. I got his point: we do not have those gravel pits etc because of the shot up trash. I never left any trash, but I cannot shoot at those places anymore. No one can. I never helped clean them up or lectured people about leaving junk either. Wish I had though...we might have more places to shoot.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by allen-ak View Post
    Very good point. Tone can interfere with the message. could ruffle some feathers.

Not mine however. I got his point: we do not have those gravel pits etc because of the shot up trash. I never left any trash, but I cannot shoot at those places anymore. No one can. I never helped clean them up or lectured people about leaving junk either. Wish I had though...we might have more places to shoot.

Thanks!
    X2
    Since I was a kid there were always places like that to shoot near ANC and the valley.
    Unfortunately not anymore

Yeah, I'm with Brian & allen on this one, too. It's the "casual" shooting in gravel pits and such without cleaning up or shooting other property such as signs that is the reason why there are no "informal" places to shoot.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

If anyone has a place like that to shoot, they will probably not broadcast it.

I'm convinced that the "Trash" thing is just an excuse.

Wherever, people congregate for ANYTHING, the places get closed, or severely restricted. You'll see signs, at the least, then ditches, and/or huge boulders, in the way. Welcome to the Greatland.

These things occur because our governments are "Trashed" with people who feel the need to control everybody, and everything.

There usta be places like that to shoot, and the "trash" wasn't a big deel IMO, because it was confined to the area.

There is "trash" along the roads, too. They see that it gets cleaned up, and don't close the roads. Well, not yet, anyway.

As for the ranges, they are too few, and too expensive, for the casual shooter.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    If anyone has a place like that to shoot, they will probably not broadcast it.

I'm convinced that the "Trash" thing is just an excuse.

Wherever, people congregate for ANYTHING, the places get closed, or severely restricted. You'll see signs, at the least, then ditches, and/or huge boulders, in the way. Welcome to the Greatland.

These things occur because our governments are "Trashed" with people who feel the need to control everybody, and everything.

There usta be places like that to shoot, and the "trash" wasn't a big deel IMO, because it was confined to the area.

There is "trash" along the roads, too. They see that it gets cleaned up, and don't close the roads. Well, not yet, anyway.

As for the ranges, they are too few, and too expensive, for the casual shooter.

Smitty of the North
    Smitty, you are a very wise man indeed!!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Smitty, you are a very wise man indeed!!
    Thank You, AD.

I'll tell my wife.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

You have to drive way out to find places like these... Glennallen, Eagle, Paxson, Cantwell, Sterling, etc... But again, people probably aren't going to advertise.

Default birchwood

Smitty I like you more and more with every post you write. The closest "rambo range" I can think of is about 65 miles from my house on Elmendorf. That is a little to far for me to drive just to do my own thing. I have been a member of rabbit creek sinse I came up here but have decided to go with birchwood this year. It is a little more money but you get to shoot at farther distances and it seems like there is more freedom out there. Rabbit creek has to many rules for me and their range only goes to 100 yards. I say join birchwood.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

Default rufflin feathers

I know this was not done to ruffle feathers. I go to rabbit creek every weekend and practice shooting i go to there skeet range, there riffle range and there pistol range. I was indeed wondering if anyone knew of a place to go like a gravel pit so i could indeed save the money. I clean up my shell casings and my targets because I do care about alaska and want to keep it clean. I like to trap shoot and i have been to many places that states set up that is basically an empty field where people set up there own gear and do it that way. I thought they would have that here and the first thing i did when i got here was get clays and rounds. Rabbit creek i cant use either of those and was wondering if there was somewhere i could go to use those. i do also live on eafb and birchwood is very far from me. Thanks for the support.
    Last edited by LuJon; 05-01-2009 at 05:03. Reason: removed personal comments

No need ot make this personal, I can see were the assumption was made by some members given the tone of your initial post. Thank you for the clarification.

As was mentioned above there once was many places like you described, sadly they became riddled with shot out vehicles, refrigerators, and various other junk so they were systematically shut down. There may still be a couple areas left but the people who know about them are pretty closed mouth. Broadcasting it on the web or even telling someone untrustworthy about it would likely cause that location to join the list of places where we "used" to go and shoot. good luck on your quest and if/when you find a spot my recommendation is you keep it under your hat

Actually there is an easy one if you're just talking about flinging some clay and doing a little freelance trap shooting... go to the beach. Get outside of any city limits that might restrict or ban discharge of firearms. Toss your clays over the water and shoot from below the high tide mark (obviously on a stable sand beach, not the dangerous cook inlet mud of the arm). The ocean will return the clay back to mother nature and you have a wide open back ground that makes for a very safe shooting area. We have often used the Cook Inlet beaches between Kenai and Kasilof for trap shooting via the public access points.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

From EAFB Birchwood is really not that much farther than Rabbit Creek, and with traffic probably the same driveing time. I wish there was more places just to go shoot without all the hassle but as stated before others have ruined it for all of us.

Default muskie

muskie that is what i was trying to say starting this thread

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    No need ot make this personal, I can see were the assumption was made by some members given the tone of your initial post. Thank you for the clarification.

As was mentioned above there once was many places like you described, sadly they became riddled with shot out vehicles, refrigerators, and various other junk so they were systematically shut down. There may still be a couple areas left but the people who know about them are pretty closed mouth. Broadcasting it on the web or even telling someone untrustworthy about it would likely cause that location to join the list of places where we "used" to go and shoot. good luck on your quest and if/when you find a spot my recommendation is you keep it under your hat
    So true, I've been "target" shooting and/or hunting around Anchorage since the late '60s and can tell you that the litter issue is very real. Anybody who owned a gravel pit or cleared land for future use and allowed or ignored easy access by passersby eventually had to deal with junk piles, old cars, oil changers, etc.! Can't blame them! These impromptu shooting locales eventually become a huge PIA for the land owners and they shut off the access. Who can blame them? This is not a control everything issue.... it is the land owners controling there own land and wanton trashing of it. And generally it is not the shooters who trash it. If the land owner does not have a gate up it will fill with trash from lazy cheap dorks who unload their pickups in the night. BTW, there are still a few places to shoot close to town, but as many have stated, they are not going to be given up to the general masses for fear of rapid closure.

Default I beg to differ

OATS:
    I don't think you've described the problem correctly at all.

The landowner in the places I'm talking about is the SOA, or the Fed. Govt.

You may like to think "This is not a control everything issue....", but I can assure you it IS. Plus the fact that Government Agencies accommodate themselves rather than the public they’re supposed to serve

I've never done any shooting on Privately owned land, without permission, or gravel pits. I can't say I'm aware of any such places either. IME, all the privately owned gravel pits have been closed. (Since the EARLY 60s.) It's their land. They have a right.

Public land belongs to the public, and access, (or shooting) shouldn't be denied, under the pretext that it's being trashed.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Default I think its not just the trash

but the trash being exploited by the quiet rights groupies as a visible reason to stop the shooting in the pits. Same with the "safety" issue, what could be safer than a gravel pit to shoot in? Look at all the uproar from them when DNR tries to open an area for shooting in the Knik River Public Use Area. DNR had it in the Management Plan that was the most open for public input planning process they ever have done - but "there hasn't been any public input". It is shooting into the side of a mountain - but "the bullets will be flying all over". "The lead bullets will drain into the swamp and kill all the animals" but the soil is to alkaline to leach the lead out.
    They just don't want to hear anything but their own breathing on "our" public lands. Probably have you swear you don't have a cold or allergies before you could go anywhere with them...
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike Echo; 05-07-2009 at 13:49. Reason: spelling
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Yeah, Mike:

When I heard about that I thought, "And, I've been blaming the Government".

Even when they do get their act together, we have these wackos to contend with too.

And also, the newspaper crowd that went out of their way to give voice to this creative nonsense.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast