Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nelchina caribou

Exclamation Nelchina caribou

So what's the latest news on this hunt? I saw that it's going to a tier 1 hunt but i'm not sure what that means exactly. I was hoping for it to go to a draw hunt.

John, I have the hand out from Fish and game. I can scan it in and send it to you as a PDF doc to print out.

Don't put in for one unless you plan on hunting the whole season in unit 13.

If you draw a tier 1 caribou, you cant hunt moose or caribou anywhere else in the state that year.

I don't plan on it, last thing I want to hunt in unit 13 is moose. I've seen some monster caribou in unit 13 but not very many big bulls. If it stays this way then I don't see myself ever applying for a Nelchina Tier 1 caribou tag.

Default Not just that....

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    Don't put in for one unless you plan on hunting the whole season in unit 13.

If you draw a tier 1 caribou, you cant hunt moose or caribou anywhere else in the state that year.
    Nobody else in your household can hunt for either caribou or moose in any other unit if one person gets a caribou tag (which you can only get 1/household at most anyway) and nobody in your household will be elegible for a caribou tag in unit 13 for another 4 years.

Some of the changes make a little sense, and I like the idea of at least moving towards a lottery system, but what I don't agree with at all is how much it impacts others in the household who didn't draw the permit in the first place (guess it is a good thing I am the only one in my household....)

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    I don't plan on it, last thing I want to hunt in unit 13 is moose. I've seen some monster caribou in unit 13 but not very many big bulls. If it stays this way then I don't see myself ever applying for a Nelchina Tier 1 caribou tag.
    I got a family member who killed a bull out of the Nelchina herd that made the all-time B&C book. Pretty impressive animal. A lot of antler.

I was planning on hoping to meet Ken Manning up there this year, but just plan on applying for a point instead.

I like the new Tier 1 hunt and don't mind the restrictions since I usually hunt Unit 13 for moose. If I am able to draw one of the new any bull permits I will be a trigger press away from having a full freezer. We see many small bulls, but sometimes have to hunt for a few days to find a 50/4 animal.

I meant to say in my last post that I had not seen very many big bull moose in unit 13, not caribou, sorry for the confusion.

John - Here is a link to the Tier I and II Supplement and to the specific application for the Nelchina permit. All the details are spelled out there.

I think the Antler destruction and then leave them in the field rule is a little over the top, I understand why they have it but it seems a little excesive. I hunt moose in 13 anyways too, so i am going to put in for the Tier I caribou hunt, I figure my chances of drawing a tag are about as good as they were when it was Tier II.

If I were a subsistence hunter I would have no issues with chopping the antlers and leaving them behind but I prefer to keep my antlers and bring them out of the field. If it weren't for that and the fact that I would have to hunt moose in unit 13, i'd put in for the permit. Some real hog caribou in that herd.

Default Subsistence?

In true subsistence they used EVERYTHING including the antlers, so why make us leave them behind. If I have to take the kidneys, I should HAVE to take the antlers too.

Other people will just pick them up anyway, so what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by goaty View Post
    There will be some killer shed hunting to do after the 10th of August.

Default trophy value

Quote Originally Posted by goaty View Post
    I don't agree with the antler destruction, but it isn't a very big deal for me either way. I meat hunt, so am not looking for a trophy (wouldn't mind getting one though if the opportunity presented itself). The reason they are requiring the destruction even when you have to leave it in the field is to keep people from just leaving it there and then going back and retrieving it on a subsequent hunt. Seems a bit excessive to me, but that is what they are looking at.

I think you'd be STUNNED at how many "find" antlers out there if they didn't mandate destruction! It was a DISASTER up here in Nome when they opened it for anyone in the state on Musk ox. I don't mind the influx of hunters, it was that 17 of the 19 Ox taken on day one were "outsiders" and ZERO got their horns snipped. I think the most common excuse was "didn't take the head"....and I'm guessing a lot found "random" heads out there.

If it is subsistence, I think a mandatory turn in of the horns/antlers to F&G is what should be done.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

I am by no means a trophy hunter at all, ask anyone who knows me well enough and they will tell you i hunt and fish to fill the freezer. I was just getting at it being a little excessive. If you want to get down to what true subsitance is, then why did they remove the heat liver rule? I am all for destroying the antlers and leaving them there.

Well I have been going back and forth on to just apply for points or a permit for 13 caribou. I'm thinking one year of being locked in to 13 for moose will be ok as I do MOST of my moose hunting there. Plus I will still have 3 years to hunt whereever else I want. I am still going to apply for drawing permits as if I will not win a Tier I permit and not be locked into unit 13 for hunting, as I only have a 25% chance of my household getting picked. Should would be a drag to win a cow permit in another unit and have to eat it, but I figure I am never lucky anyways so what is the chance of drawing a 25% chance Tier I AND a 10% or less cow tag. Probably not great, sure it would be a bummer to have to eat a nice caribou or cow moose tag, but I'm doubting the stars will align anyways.

Where are you getting the 25% odds figure from? It depends on how many people apply and how many permits they award, right?

Well based on the figure they keep throwing out of 1 permit every 4 years, of course its based on the # of people applying, but thats what I am telling myself to keep from thinking about having to eat good permits due to drawing Tier I that same year. Its just a warm fuzzy!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast