Thread: Loading an ATV in the Back of a Wooldridge

Default Loading an ATV in the Back of a Wooldridge

Does anyone put a ATV in the back of their wooldridge? I am thinking about making ramps that go from side rail to side rail. Looking for ideas, pics, advise
    20' Wooldridge Sport 08' 150hp E-Tec
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

Default It's do-able!

A friend of mine has loaded wheelers to transport across the river on his 17' wooldridge. He pulled up parallel to the bank and on the top of the rails across the boat he had secured a set of ramps. After driving the wheeler on to the ramps and securing it down he carefully crossed the river and unloaded in the same fashion.
    Repeat until all vehicles are across. A bank on either side would help out I imagine.
    His comments were that it was top heavy and happy the trip was short. Secondly, loading them and unloading are a pain in the rear and require a couple people to do so safely.
    My thoughts would be navigating skinny water would not be fun with that large load right behind me at chest height. A sudden stop might be painful plus i'm sure the performance would be reduced.
    BK

Default did on my hewescraft

sure I have pics somewhere but we took several wheelers accross the Tanana on my hewescraft two different ways. even with them on the back above the boat we were pretty stable and got on step with no issues.

once a friend built two ramps using 2x4's on edge and plywood on top and once by using a regular aluminum 4wheeler ramp. we just used towels to avoid scratching the boat too much and pulled them on and off with another 4wheeler ramp from the bank. a lot less rocket science than i would have thought...

B

I've also thought about getting a 4-wheeler in and out of a boat and how to operate once it's aboard. If the landing were on private property where you could build something, and you needed to load and unload often, it may be worthwhile to build a crane out of timbers. It would be like the kind someone might set up temporarily to build a log cabin. It would have a guyed vertical pole connected to another angled pole set in the ground which slews and has a pulley near the top for suspending a load.

Another possibility would be a much smaller scale setup. First, using ramps, get the 4-wheeler up on the boat where it sits cross-wise several feet over the floor. Now, on either side of the 4-wheeler, imagine setting up two vertical triangular supports with a stout crosspiece between their apexes (like a tall sawhorse). The crosspiece is over the 4-wheeler. Use the crosspiece as a suspension point for a pulley, and with a winch or come-along, lift the 4-wheeler an inch or two, remove the planks it was resting on, then lower the 4-wheeler to the boat floor. After the boat ride is over, reverse the process to get the 4-wheeler out of the boat.

One more variation might be using a "tripod" on the boat with three or four legs made out of 3" steel pipe or 2x6s to lower and raise the 4-wheeler.

The main goal is to get the 4-wheeler down to the floor so the boat won't be top heavy.
    Last edited by rifleman; 05-01-2009 at 03:48. Reason: Added remark about the main goal.

My take is simple. I am going to buy a couple honda 110 three weelers. Pick them up and toss them in the boat. Unloading will be the reverse process, pick them up and toss them on shore. I figure a couple jet sleds will work fine for hauling meet and gear around.

DSCN2373.jpg

DSCN2385.jpg Heres Tzieli22, with his 4wheeler It,s a good load But once on step moves it right along 80/115 Yamaha jet, 4 stroke, Make sure you tie that boat off tight to the bank or it will want to slip out underneath of you when you are going in/out. of it..
    Last edited by SusitnaAk; 05-01-2009 at 07:53. Reason: more

Those windshields are nice, but as for hauling bulky gear the open bow wins. What I was looking for is how the boat is going to handle an ATV on ramps across the siderails, top heavy. I am also thinking of selling my four wheeler and getting a ROKON, which would be much easier to manhandle.
    20' Wooldridge Sport 08' 150hp E-Tec
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

Default lift

i started to buy one of these http://www.compeaus.com/spitzlifts.html before i tried just using wooden ramps (which was still pretty stable despite the wheelers being above the side of boat)...

maybe it will suit your purpose?

B