Thread: Rainwater Catchment System

Default Rainwater Catchment System

I plan to do some building at my cabin site this summer and one of my projects is to build a rainwater catchment system. I have a plan to catch run-off from my roof and collect it in barrels for later use. Any experiences, stories, photos would be appreciated. Thanks.

We used tarps over the camp area and tents while building. Will eventually put rain gutters on the cabin roof with some sort of collection system. Last summer was no problem keeping the barrels full CN

Opps, MY bad; Was suppose to be On the Hot showers one! Anyway, on the rain, I use plastic barrels put a section of rain gutter up place barrel underneath It, on a cut stump for height, Can Wash your hands or place a 5 gal bucket under the brass garden hose faucet,i install in bottem of side of barrel. Drill the hole with wood bit in the drum just tad smaller than the threads on the faucet and heat with propane torch a little and thread it right in to the drum. little RTV and good to go.Also i cut tops off the barrel And where the Rain drips in cover with Netting Keeps Buggs, Leaves ect... Out
    Last edited by SusitnaAk; 04-30-2009 at 20:46. Reason: more

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Krotokid View Post
    I plan to do some building at my cabin site this summer and one of my projects is to build a rainwater catchment system. I have a plan to catch run-off from my roof and collect it in barrels for later use. Any experiences, stories, photos would be appreciated. Thanks.

Window screen over the barrels keeps water clean and the Mosquito larva out. also plumbing your barrels together is a good idea. as one fills it moves into the next in line.. couple good rains and the drum is full... but with 2-3 in a line you get more caught

i will be upgrading to a 1000 gal buried tank soon at the cabin.. and am considering a re catch/settling system on the shower water.. to use to flush the toilet.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks for the info. Those were pretty much the same thoughts I've had on catching water. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Window screen over the barrels keeps water clean and the Mosquito larva out.
    To filter it down a little more you can use panty hose over the downspout into the tank.. When it gets full just change out the panty hose. (Don't tell the wife you're stealing her new stockings).