Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: geothermal heat systems

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    375

    Default geothermal heat systems

    Anyone have one or know someone who does? I'm considering it for our new house, not having to buy fuel sounds pretty good. Also what companies install geothermal systems?

  2. #2

    Default

    anybody got some geothermal info

  3. #3

    Default

    You should check with your local Utilities company. It was MEA I think that built two or three models in Eagle River and Palmer/Wasilla to test the waters, so to speak. One was using well water to heat with and one was using lake water.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  4. #4
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    A friend of mine runs Sullivan Water Wells here in Eagle River. I talked with him last summer, and he was going to be putting in a geothermal heat system in his new house in the Chugiak area. I'm not sure if he's got it up and running yet or not, but I could try to find out for you.

  5. #5

    Default

    vertical loop exchangers are getting pretty popular in Dakotas/Mn. I would like to go that route for my hangar up there when I build it next year. With all the volcanic activity there should be no shortage. I often think of the 3 weeks I spent out on the Seward Penn in Nov laying in a natural hot tub every evening after hunting. It feels good just thinking about it.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    375

    Default

    The guy that sells the systems here in the valley works out of the Advanced Powder Coating building up by Pittman Road. Econar is the brand name. He says hes got almost a dozen systems installed in and around Willow. I went and checked his out, he heats a 4,000 sq ft house and has warm water left over.

  7. #7
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    There is one in Trapper Creek that uses a small lake as the source. It works really well for them. If you have lake front property it might be a great way to go.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  8. #8
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    I have read about these some but am not clear on exactly how they work. Do they work in conjunction with a freon (r134A) system but provide a more constant source to bathe the condenser in or do they have some other source to bring the temp up to comfortable room temp?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    952

    Default

    Heat pumps are like an air conditioner, except instead of taking heat out of the air in your house and dumping it outside, they take the heat from outside and dump it into your house. The traditional ones pull heat from the outside air and don't work so well in northern climates. The ground has a more consistent temperature so it is more efficient. And, yes they use a refrigerant.

    I'd be curious to find out what kind of power consumption the systems up here have.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •