Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Requirements to receive Asst. Guide License

Default New Requirements to receive Asst. Guide License

Just got off the phone with a guide I know and he was telling me about the new requirements for an asst. guides license. 60 days working as a packer under a guide in the same unit and then you only receive your asst. guide license to work in that unit only that you that spent 60 days in? If you only spend 20 days (lets just say 10 two day hunts for black bear on baits)working with clients actually hunting it would take you 3 years in that unit to gain your license. So you could not go work for another guide in another unit until you have spent 60 days doing more of the same in that new unit.Have they lost their minds up there at the F&G Board?

Default Address the REAL Problem!

What makes 60 days so important to get your assistant guides license? Is that where the dart hit the board? What is more important is to look at the issue of non-residents having the ability to GUIDE another non-resident but NOT actually being able to hunt themselves without a guide!!!! And then move back to the lower 48 when the season is done!
    Talk about having lost your mind?

i think they grazed a few issue but missed the bullseye by quiet ways. i can see why they did it this way...but certainly don't think this was the best route to take.

Yeah the whole thing doesn't make much sense. I am not sure where they come up with 90% of the stuff.

Alaskacub,

Licensing of guides in Alaska is regulated by the Big Game Commercial Services Board (Dept. of Commerce, Community and Economic Development). Neither the Board of Fisheries or the Game Board have any regulatory authority over guide licensing.

Angry need a change

Last year 2 guided hunters were cited for killing cow caribou when it was a bull only area, couldnt tell the difference?. A ewe sheep was also brought in because a non res guide thought it was a Goat! The governing body knows this and is making changes. Just thought I would throw that out there.
    Pick A Spot

LOL@ewe=goat....man thats good. how do you tell anyone that story after you bring it in and fish and game looks at you like your from....new york or los angeles.
    I know alot of non res guides, some are good, some aren't, same with the resident guides i know. i'm just happy to see occupational licensing showing an interest in making it harder to become a guide. was a bit to easy back when i got my license. I'd like to see AK guides held to a standard above all other guides in the US, alaska needs to be treated like something special, not just a free for all fantasy guide camp.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    LOL@ewe=goat....man thats good. how do you tell anyone that story after you bring it in and fish and game looks at you like your from....new york or los angeles.
    I know alot of non res guides, some are good, some aren't, same with the resident guides i know. i'm just happy to see occupational licensing showing an interest in making it harder to become a guide. was a bit to easy back when i got my license. I'd like to see AK guides held to a standard above all other guides in the US, alaska needs to be treated like something special, not just a free for all fantasy guide camp.

You know I am usually not one for more regulations and more government involvement, and I don't necessarily think the recent change is the answer, but I don't think it's all that bad. What Brwnbr said was right on. AK guides should be held to a higher standard and it isn't just a fantasy guide camp, if someone has to spend more time in the field before getting his license than that's a good thing. I don't think it should be unit specific, however. It always makes me uneasy though when an institution jumps in and starts adding more regulations, they don't always make the most enlightened of moves.
    Marc Theiler

Agree 100%,as a reg.guide who lives where where guides it is getting tougher to book hunts,one i can not afford to travel down south to hit the shows,most of my bookings are word of mouth and internet.about time alaskans guide Alaskan game.try to go and guide in most states down south and see what they say.must be a resident

I'm a registered guide as well and have no desire to guide outa state, i wonder why it is that we can sit here adn share the same opinions but they don't seem to be communicated or heard beyond small circles. Politics must rule the day more than we think.
    It'll take some serious moves to really get alaskas guide industry to be respected again...by those outside the industry.

Default Question

What group or who speaks for us anyway?
    Marc Theiler

i'd like to think the APHA might step in on some issues, but i've seen some of their members doing some things i won't support so i'm not a member. I also think some of their views and motivations are a bit skewed by money. But for some reason a club that has a 200 dollar member ship is relativly quiet when issues like this come up....least you don't hear about it unless your in the room when it happens. Sure they do some good things, but i'd like to see every registered guide in ak given a vote on the issues pertaining to them....if they dont' show up and vote on it, forget them. but i'd like to actually have a say in a relativly small fraternity of guides on what will effect my future. They send every guide a mailing when a new area opens up for a permit, why can't they mail us a little ballot or suggestion flyer.
    Just seems like with a little thinkin' they could come up with something to get imput from the bios, troopers,board of game, occupation licensing AND the guides.

What strikes me as funny is they are making tougher to be come an assistant guide, at least that is how it seems to me. Yet, if I had a brother who was a city dude lived in Anchorage and didn't know a brown bear from a ground squirrel I could go out and hunt brown bear, mountain goat or dall sheep with him and all he has to be is a resident. Go figure. I am a guide in Maine and we have to go through a testing process as well, although it isn't as difficult as Alaska's and I can appreciate having strict requirements to be a guide but the whole family thing just throws me for a loop.

It is just like when you take people for hire in a boat you are required to have class 1 PFD's for everyone on the boat. Yet, you can go out in a boat with all your drinking buddys with class III PFD's and be perfectly legal. Again, go figure.
    If you take the woods out of the woodsman you have nothing left but a man in the woods.

Default Current Assistant Guide Requirements

AlaskaCub-
    There were rumors floating around of new Assistant Guide requirements, but as of the most recent release of regulations (August 2006) an Assistant guide needs :
    1) to be 18 or older,
    2) have legally hunted big game in Alaska during two calendar years,
    3) possess a first aid card,
    4) get written recommendation from a registered guide or pass a training course aproved by the board, and
    5) submit an application and pay the fee.

Based on those rumors, I went ahead and got my license before anything changed. I'm not aware now that those rumored changes are ever going to go into effect. If they do, it will increase the price of guided hunts I bet. Good assistants will be hard to find and their wages will go up accordingly. Do you have any intel besides a phone convo with a guide that these new changes will be going into effect any time soon?

Default proposed changes

You can go to this link to see all the proposed changes to the Guide laws. Most if not all of these changes have been approved and what didn't go into affect in June will go in Jan (I'm pretty sure that's the way the story goes) .... many changes in the Guiding and Transporting industries .... one of the biggest changes is the species specific license. I'm not sure how they will grandfather in existing licenses.

http://www.dced.state.ak.us/occ/pub/GUI0206.pdf

12 AAC 75.130. Application for assistant guide license. An applicant for an assistant
    guide license shall submit
    (1) the fees required in 12 AAC 02.230;
    (2) a completed application on a form provided by the department;
    Register , 2006 PROFESSIONAL REGULATIONS
    02/23/06 Draft 9
    (3) a certified true copy of the applicant’s valid first aid card issued by the
    American Red Cross or an equivalent organization recognized by the department;
    (4) a form completed by the applicant listing the dates the applicant has hunted
    in the state and certifying that the applicant meets the requirements in AS 08.54.630(a)(2);
    (5) a written recommendation as required in AS 08.54.630(a)(4); [AND]
    (6) a signed statement from the applicant certifying that the applicant meets the
    eligibility requirements in AS 08.54.605;
    (7) proof that the applicant has worked in the field for minimum of at least
    60 days under the supervision of an assistant or registered guide-outfitter; proof of
    successful completion of a board approved course may reduce the required number of days
    in the field; and
    (8) proof of having participated in a minimum of at least two successful
    guided hunts for each species that the applicant is seeking licensure.

Default When does it go into effect

When does this assistant guide regulation change go into effect?
    Marc Theiler

Probably on Jan 1st .... you can call Cindy (or send her an email) at Big Game Comm Services Board to find out.

The new law changes will make it much harder to become an asst Guide; also a registered Guide and get certified for a unit.

It changes drastically what a Transporter can do (mostly the vessel transporters cannot do what they do now).

Angry

see that i am not the only alaskan guide peturbed of the lack of say we have,as brwnbr stated about the only resource we have apha,and i agree with him,i would have joined ten times over but just can't agree on a lot of what they say.as a bush resident and barly making it due to the high costs of living unlike my competion from the lower 48, i would like to see it get tougher for non residents to recieve a guide lic.hopefully this could get us that belive in the true meaning of being an ALASKAN GUIDE together and have a voice.sorry about my writing tried to edited my last post but not as good on this machine as am in lighting a fire on the tudra in a down pour.if the is intrest in forming a voice for ALSKAN GUIDES i would sure like to be part of it.my e-mail is-gusuk1@hotmail.com

I don't know that it would be legal to restrict licensing to AK residents only. Many guides in the lower 48 hold guide licenses in several states.

I don't see any occupation on the list of Occupational Licensing that requires you be an AK resident. You can be a Lawyer, Dentist, Doc or Engineer in AK and be a non-res as long as your licensed to do so.

Look at it this way, also. If my wife wants to have a seasonal home and move on down Oregon and we keep our place on Prince of Wales or in Hyder, but are no longer considered AK residents because we spend more time down there ..... should I not be able to Guide?

Take a look at the proposed changes. It will be much more diffacult to license up, even for an AK resident.

As for the relative Guide law .... I saw people using the scenario of a total non hunting sister that has never been in the bush Guiding a non-res brother to a Brown Bear .... well sometime ago I had that very discussion with the local ADF&G biologist. He said that scenario very rarely (if ever) happens; even if the law allows it. Most hunters are just smarter than that, I guess

What is the new regulations for vessel based transporters?
    Marc Theiler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast