Thread: Fish Storage -- The Old School Way is Best!

Default Fish Storage -- The Old School Way is Best!

This is my first post to this site. I am a Texan and the last immediate member of my family to either have lived in this state or worked on the North Slope since the late '60's...

I was warned that I'd fall in love with this state, and I have!....Only thing I miss is catching catfish, using ring nets to land blue crabs, and angling with a spinning outfit for redfish to fill a platter fit for the dinner table.

And since I'm still loyal to my upbringing, and knowing you'd all appreciate a southern hospitality welcoming, I shall provide the best way to store fish in the deep-freeze:

http://www.corpusfishing.com/message...pic.php?t=7348

(I live in Wasilla....I'm also looking to meet fellow fishermen and hunters to share trips with....Have truck and access to 4-wheeler...My cousin and I are in mid-30s, straight.)

To replace the catfish checkout Burbot. You can fish for them using the same methods as catfish. and they taste good too.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Ummmm,

It will be a cold day in H E double hockeysticks that any water comes in contact with my salmon that isn't going into the can. I've done your suggested method with panfish, pike, walleyes etc. but would never suggest it for Salmon. A buddy of mine put almost his whole cache in frozen boxes and bags with water....he made lots of salmon cakes cuz nothing was worth putting it on the grill. The flesh gets grainy and watery. Unless I did it wrong (can't imagine...but let's not leave it out) but think it is a waste of perfectly good fish.

I grew up in tx also and we used to freeze our fillets in water.... Vac pac is the only way to go. Redfish on the half shell sure sounds nice. Port O Connor were my stompin grounds.. what about you? Been up here 9 yrs now and don't miss it at all. Oh yeah, enjoy all the land with out any fences! I think all of the tx coast was high fenced when I was down over Christmas. What an eye sore, unless you are getting paid to build it.

www.fishwithhill.com

Quote Originally Posted by six View Post
    I grew up in tx also and we used to freeze our fillets in water.... Vac pac is the only way to go. Redfish on the half shell sure sounds nice. Port O Connor were my stompin grounds.. what about you? Been up here 9 yrs now and don't miss it at all. Oh yeah, enjoy all the land with out any fences! I think all of the tx coast was high fenced when I was down over Christmas. What an eye sore, unless you are getting paid to build it.

www.fishwithhill.com
    I was born in Corpus Christi, and had access to some of the greatest fishing on the coast. In later years I lived around Freeport/Surfside. What I miss about the place is all the shark fishing -- FROM THE BEACH!! -- ( http://www.tx-sharkfishing.com/ and http://www.extremecoast.com ), the cast-netting for mullet and shrimp, crabbing, warm sand and long summers! Other than that, I'd like to find someone up here who can make excellent home-made tamales around Christmas time.

Yes, you are correct about private property covering something like 94% of the state, with every other rural neighbor with a barb-wired fence. One reason behind it was that 19th century politicos sold off the state to finance the War of Independence.

( http://www.texasep.org/html/lnd/lnd_5pub.html )

However, in regards to the beaches fenced off on the coast? I'm not sure where you went but I believe nearly all Texas beaches are open to the public, as are the bays, Laguna Madre and the Intra Coastal Waterway.

On another note, some on this site may not know that the Texas Dept of Game/Fish stock select community lakes and ponds with Rainbows every year, generally beginning around the first of Febuary. Every year it made me wonder what it was like for my Aunts, Uncles and Cousins fishing the Mat-Su lakes and rivers for even bigger ones...Well, here I am now and will soon find out!

I've grown fond of this state, and originally planned to stay until October of this year, then move back down to Texas....Yeah, I heard others had similar plans as well...Ten years from now I'll probably still be saying that, as others once did!

Little clarification... I did not mean the beach was high fenced. Try the guadalupe after they stock it each fall with bows... fly fishermen everywhere. Now that is a river that has barbed wire across it.

I tried freezing salmon once in water too, since it works well for panfish. It does ruin the texture of salmon and I'll never do it again.

Freeport, eh? I used to go down there all the time for work, and one time I was dorking around with the rental car on the beach between Surfside and Galveston and drowned it hee hee. Never did get a chance to fish down there.

smoke em and vaccum seal em and freeze em. Thats the Alaskan way to freeze your salmon. I would never dream of freeezing my salmon or even halibut in water.

Six,

I know what you are talking about! Outdoorsmen have complained about it for years.

Fishfood,

Did you work at the monster oil refinery in Freeport/Surfside? Man, that
    would be a nice place to live and work! I could only imagine getting off
    work, take a drive a few blocks away to find out if the surf is "trout green." That means, when the surf is that clear Speckled Trout are very
    close in and ready to get hammered with some terminal tackle!

I miss camping overnight there, to see my 12' surf rods sitting in their holders with glow-n-dark sticks attached, and waiting for a bend
    in the rod and to hear a screaming drag as a drum, jack or shark takes
    your bait and threatens to change zip codes!

--

Thanks, B-radford! My cousin vacuum-seals all his halibut and salmon.
    Years ago he used plastic wrap and freezer paper.

Lots of Texas folk will use this newer technology (well, shall I say now
    more common and affordable), while others use the old school methods.
    I, myself, have a vacuum sealer but never used it for fish. I used it to
    process two wild hogs -- one 40lb male and the other a 200-ish lb sow.

One thing I want to try this year is to smoke some Reds. I tried one of those small pocket-sized packets from the grocery store and loved the taste and texture of it....I have a small smoker/pit here and anticipate
    using it.

Guess its time for me to use the search engine and find some great smoking recipes!

Again, thanks to B-radford and all the other replies. It is nice to have the internet to share our ideas and opinions, isn't it?