Thread: Greenie Guns

Default Greenie Guns

This was done to protect the metal.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Nice Scout

Details please............for the hungry..............................

Default I guessing you mean the scout Model 70 in .375HH

Made by Dean in Eagle River. Barrel 20", trigger job,scope mounts made by him, front sight put back on, and quick release rings to make it easy to get to the iron sights. The rifle has had a lot of use. It was send out side for the special coating this winter. Very durable and tough. So I was told. The mag-a-brake was installed this winter by Magna Port. It does cut the felt recoil by about 50%. At first I though it was BS, not so. I can shoot this rifle all day. The coating will get it's test soon. It worked good on the .500. Just after 200 rounds the cylinder stared to show the powder burns. The coating can be done cheaper, and faster in state.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

The scout scope is nice, but I wouldn't fire that gun without ear protection.

That 20" barrel coupled with a muzzle brake would be painful to MY tender ears.

I had my 338 cut to 21.5" and no muzzle brake, and I'm using a Weaver K4, regular scope.

I never had any interest in Scout Scopes, but my Gunsmith showed me one he had mounted, and there seems to be a real advantage. Since the scope is mounted so far away, you can see ALL AROUND it when you look through it. Your vision is NOT blocked by the scope.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default It was fired before the brake about 3 feet from my ear

Hurt like hell for about 3 hours. The guy who did it said that was funny. I told him no it wasn't. I try to look to see were my hunting parnter is before I fire. If we are side by side I step forward. Scout scopes are fast. Watch the target and than put the scope between your eye and the target.

Quote Originally Posted by cubguy View Post
    Made by Dean in Eagle River. Barrel 20", trigger job,scope mounts made by him, front sight put back on, and quick release rings to make it easy to get to the iron sights. The rifle has had a lot of use. It was send out side for the special coating this winter. Very durable and tough. So I was told. The mag-a-brake was installed this winter by Magna Port. It does cut the felt recoil by about 50%. At first I though it was BS, not so. I can shoot this rifle all day. The coating will get it's test soon. It worked good on the .500. Just after 200 rounds the cylinder stared to show the powder burns. The coating can be done cheaper, and faster in state.
    This is nice work! I have thought about a scout scope for my BLR 450, but it is a takedown, hence my sights are both mounted on the barrel. I could have a Ghost ring put on the rear, then mount the scout leaving the front sight there in case of scope removal or failure. I do not know how much the sight would move, if at all, when I take it apart and put it back together...

Quote Originally Posted by cubguy View Post
    Hurt like hell for about 3 hours. The guy who did it said that was funny. I told him no it wasn't. I try to look to see were my hunting parnter is before I fire. If we are side by side I step forward. Scout scopes are fast. Watch the target and than put the scope between your eye and the target.
    Can you acquire the target as fast as you can with express iron sights? Do you think in defensive situations such as a bear charge it is fast enough? I can get my scope on a regular mount almost as fast, as it comes up naturally to my eye. I find the target and bring it to my eye, it works every time, but I never tried it in the field with a target coming at me yet.

Your rifle came out nice, like that green look and the scout scope is a great idea.

The advantage I see to having a scout scope on VS standard mounting is your field of view is much larger with the scout style allowing you to see other bears that might be around while you are going after one particular one in the scope.

Default Never had a bear come at me

One of the advanges of this set up is with the 2x scope you can see extremly well in low light, not so with iron sights.

Default Another Scout advantage

You have full access to the action for loading and whatever + it's usually a nice place balance wise to carry. 2X scopes are usually ok with both eyes open as well which add to the field of vision and speed of target acquisition.