Thread: Lower unit problem

Default Lower unit problem

I took my boat in (Dewey's) to have the Trailer looked at. Well since it was there I said go ahead and change all the lubes. I called today to see if they found the problem in my trailer. He said no cause he is figuring out why I had allot of water in my lower unit. He said fishing line can cause this but there was no line to be found. Has anyone had this problem before? I sure hope it doesn't break the bank....
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

There's only so many places that water can get into a lower unit. One of the most common is the prop shaft seal. This particular seal is commonly damaged by fishing line getting into the prop and wrapping itself around the shaft and blowing out the seal.

Another place water can get in is the lower unit lube fill/drain screws. The o-rings or rubber washers under the screw heads can dry out and split, letting water in. Or, it's possible that someone didn't tighten them properly. Too tight can damage the seals. Not tight enough... well, that should be self explanatory.

Also, the driveshaft and shift linkage seals can go bad. This is less common, but it happens.

Finally, the lower unit can get cracked. Obviously, this is the worst case, but is also the least common. A hard prop strike can sometimes crack the case. But, if that happened, you would very likely have damaged the prop enough to need prop replacement, or at least repair. Also, some other hard blow to the case, like backing it into a wall, or banging it on a curb (can happen if towing with the motor down), could crack it. But, you would most likely be able to see other signs of an impact if this happened.

Easiest to fix is the drain plug seals, followed by the driveshaft and shift linkage seals. The prop shaft seal can be a little more work. None of these should break the bank. But if the lower unit is cracked... well, you might have to tap into the beer and bait fund.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

I was looking at my suzuki manual and they show a test to slightly pressurize the lower end to see if there are any leaks on the seals. If so they'll have to be replaced, which shouldn't be a huge deal so long as there is no scoring or pitting on the shafts.

My fingers are crossed
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Dewey Cheatem and How

Good luck on anything Deweys does for you, When I bought my boat from them a few years ago I had a few problems. One was they put two wrong size tires on trailor. kitty corner and opposite sides ended up messing up an axle. They fixed it but ended up with mismatched rims, I'll stick to doing my own maintenance before I ever take it back to them.
    I also order most of my Yamaha parts online, even with shipping it's cheaper than local.

Default yami parts

Where can you order parts online?

Default PM sent

Dogboy sent you a PM

Default Parts online

Not to hijack the thread but here is my online source, if anyone has another please share,.
    http://www.boats.net/ Not just Yamaha I think they carry most brands.
    They have everything and drawings so you can find exactly what your looking for.

Dave

Grey, Rod's on the money. Most likely prop shaft seal. Should replace every so often anyway (yearly). If the boat stays in the water (harbor slip). Replace all the things Rod mentioned yearly for sure.
    Also, it's so easy to check the condition of the lower unit oil, make it a point to check it after every trip (if boat is trailered). "an ounce of prevention..."
    Jim

Default what I see

is a lot of people store their boat with the outboards up all winter! This allows water in and around the prop! Then it freezes, pushes the prop upward and breaking the seal, ummm what next, WATER GETS IN! Not saying that this what you did. Just stating I see a lot of boats stored this way. With the rain, snow, and freeze thaw cycles it happens and know of one personally who did this. It could have happened last winter, used it last summer. Or it just happened. If it happend before winter, could have really corroded things inside the lower and or cracked the housing.

I just always got in the habit of putting the motors down every trip. Summer or winter.

Again, not to hijack but I store my motors up, but have prop covers on that keeps the snow/water and dirt out. They're pretty cheap, and make spring clean up very easy.