Thread: Caribou jerky?

Default Caribou jerky?

So I got my first caribou last weekend and am in the process of butchering it now. My goal is to make much of it into jerky or some kind of snack sticks that can survive shipment unrefrigerated, if possible. My husband is in Iraq and I would like to send him some but of course, they don't have overnight express there and it usually takes about a week for regular priority mail to get there. Does anyone know of any good recipes to use, or how to go about making jerky? I've never done it before and any help would be appreciated. Thanks everyone!

I guess it all depends on the flavor. I like to cut small strips and soak them in dales seasoning in the fridge for a day or two then throw them in a dehydrator. As far as making caribou sticks or snack sticks check with Santas Smokehouse on Davis Rd. I know they make some great sticks and I know they ship but Im not sure if they would ship to Iraq, Im sure dry ice is an option but I think the timeframe will be the decider , the worst they can say is no. Another option is to have them made and wait for one of his buddys to come home on R&R and have them carry them back in a cooler of some sort....please let us all know how you make out. Thanks

Is there a way to dry it enough that it won't spoil being out of the fridge for a week or so? I've heard some of my friends mention it but I'm not sure if that'd make it too dry to eat or what. Thanks again.

I've been real happy with the High Mountain Jerky Cure Pepper Blend. You can get it at the Sportsmans Warehouse. I cut the meat much thinner than the instructions say, and have cooked it in both the oven and a dehydrator. It's always a big hit when I start handing it out.

Cut the meat thin, 'bout 1/2 inch or thinner.
    Put on salt and Pepper while their still naturally "wet" from being cut. Soak them in something, if you like, just drip off any excess.
    We cut them into "Sheets" and dry them that way for a day or two, then slike them thinner, into strips. Like Unrolling a carpet....sorta. Dont let the meat fold while drying, the entire surface must be exposed to air, and you will have to turn them now and then.

As you can see inthe picture, sliced into sheets and into strips, fresh meats are red and they turn black when getting dryed.

Dry them in the sun or out of it, but you NEED a nice breeze more than you need heat. We're drying about 4 Caribou today, and its been 3 days. We like them soft and pliable, though you might want to get them "snappin' dry and thats good too. You wont have to refridgerate it then. I find that when I send dry meat South, it takes a week or so. The best results I have had was drying them for a couple weeks, untill they "crackle' when you bend them, and wrap the lot in newspaper. I dont use plastic of any kind, just lots of news paper to suck up the moisture, and I put them into a cardboard box to ship. Works every time, and any sorts whitish mould can be wiped off, theres no bad flavor, but I doubt that will happen.

Salt and alder smoke are tatsy, and some friends use old hickory smokesauce stuff....works good, I like 'em.

The oldst son brought home a nice fat one for fresh meat,earlier today, so our older stock is getting dryed.

We use a "Meat racks" for fish and Meats, and we love it!
    Dry Meat is good with Seal; oil , Fish oil, marrow oils or mayonaise...what ever, and especcially just like it was made.

Any way you do it, maby on you oven racks with a house fan set between chairs in your front room, or a pole rack like ours, you will enjoy that dryed meat. Caribou is awsome, no matter how you flavor it.

Good luck
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

The jerky I make lasts for weeks out of the fridge. I make it soaked in a brine, then dehydrated, and then vacuum sealed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    I've been real happy with the High Mountain Jerky Cure Pepper Blend. You can get it at the Sportsmans Warehouse. I cut the meat much thinner than the instructions say, and have cooked it in both the oven and a dehydrator. It's always a big hit when I start handing it out.
    +1

I do the same and I have the same, this is a great process and it is a very big hit, almost as much as smoked salmon. I add about a teaspoon or so of liquid smoke to the meat after i have sprinkled on the seasoning.

I get American Harvest jerky cure. It came with the dehydrator I bought and I liked it so I buy is at Walmart. After you jerk the meat, vacuum pack it and it should last a couple of weeks in transit. If you were down here in anchorage I'd help. I've been there (Saudi, Kuwait and Turkey) and things like that mean a lot. Good luck!

I have shipped quite a bit of home made jerky etc to Iraq over the years and all was done in my dehydrator. Get it dried to your liking, vacuum seal and maiil away.

I will have a good bit of moose on the dryer tomorrow and some of it will be going to Afghanistan.

Doug

I cut my meat into 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick strips. Then I soak it in a mild brine for a day or so in cool temps. Then I add the spice mix I like (there are a lot of recipies on the internet) Do NOT add too much salt. I put it in a container or ziplock bag for a couple of days in the fridge. Then I take the strips and lay them on the oven rack and set it on about 180-200 with the oven door slight cracked open. It usually takes about 4-6 hours. You want to be careful not to over cook them. Take them out while they still feel a little soft and let them air dry a little. Then I package them in zip lock bags. They will last a long time without refridgeration.

I make all of my jerky the same way. I slice them thin, 1/4" or less. I marinate them in chilula's hot sauce(about a bottle for 10 pounds), with a little Worcestershire sauce, and a bottle of Newcastle beer. Then I lay them on the racks of my smoker (big chief smoker) and start it with one pan of apple or hickory wood chips. I let it work for 7-12 hours depending on thickness and dryness desired. I have dried it till slightly flexible and kept it for weeks un refrigerated. If you dry it till it cracks it will keep for months un refrigerated. If you wrap it in a heavy layer of wax paper or buchers paper and vacume seal it you will be able to use a box 1/4 the size to ship it. Vacume sealing is to conserve space not to preserve. The wax paper is so the sharp points of jerkey do not puncture the bag.

This makes a spicey, but not hot jerkey. To make hotter jerkey use crushed red peper in the marinade. If your husband likes garlic, add a little garlic powder to the marinade. Enjoy and good luck.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    I cut my meat into 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick strips. Then I soak it in a mild brine for a day or so in cool temps. Then I add the spice mix I like (there are a lot of recipies on the internet) Do NOT add too much salt. I put it in a container or ziplock bag for a couple of days in the fridge. Then I take the strips and lay them on the oven rack and set it on about 180-200 with the oven door slight cracked open. It usually takes about 4-6 hours. You want to be careful not to over cook them. Take them out while they still feel a little soft and let them air dry a little. Then I package them in zip lock bags. They will last a long time without refridgeration.
    I should mention that I drain off the brine and rinse before adding spicies.