Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spring bear update....

Default Spring bear update....

Got back from doing some hunts over in dillingham, weather not so good, outfitter not so good, bears not so good. its a long story. Did pick up one nice bear. last i heard half the guides and clients are still stranded out on the lakes in overflow.

This is what happens with you give a client a snowmachine and turn 'em loose!!

Sometimes the stars line up and you catch them right where you want them.

9'1", just a bit under 26" skull, shot him off the snowmachine seat at 70 yards, curious about the machines seemed like. Picked up his tracks and just followed him till he run outa some brush.

Honestly, i feel like i've earned one or two of these "drive by's"...packed him a total of four feet!!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Nice critters Jake.........can't wait to hear 'rest of the story'.

Nice wolf - did you use a .416?

Thumbs up Nice Bear!

There is nothing wrong with a 9 foot bear! That thing has a beautiful coat!!!!!!

lol no .416 i think it was a .338 the guy shot him with.
    well the outfitter is from idaho, so first off there were no alaska hunting stories in camp, mostly elk stories, and i couldn't ever get used to workin' with guys who all say "snowmobile", uhg that drove me nuts. he was wayy overbooked, had 17 clients in for three different hunts, usually only has about 8-10, so we had no extra snowmachine when one broke so then a client just has to sit out, we all overlapped and hunted the same area, i sat on a den for three days and when the bear came out all the other clients and guides from the same camp, startin' trackin the same bear..was a mess. most unhappy clients i've ever seen in one camp at any given time. just no organization. Also first camp i've been in where the clients went to the store and bought their own food just cause they weren't real thrilled about the grub the outfitter had...lol
    when the first bear was finally spotted the outfitter took my client and went after it and game me his client. he wanted someone who could ride better i guess, the guy he ditched and gave me was a return client who now has two trips under his belt with no bear...didn't seem like a real cool move.
    i'm sure i'll think of more later....lol
    Master guide 212

How'd you get tangled up with that shyster? I'd heard he booked 18 hunters this year-what a joke or crime. Let's see 18 x 13,500=$243,000.00 nothing like raping the resource and then catching the next flight outta town. I'm suprised someone with your reputation(good) would get involved with an outfit like that.

KK

BEAUTIFUL! congrats all around.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Kandiyohi Kid View Post
    How'd you get tangled up with that shyster? I'd heard he booked 18 hunters this year-what a joke or crime. Let's see 18 x 13,500=$243,000.00 nothing like raping the resource and then catching the next flight outta town. I'm suprised someone with your reputation(good) would get involved with an outfit like that.

KK
    I agree Jake, this is the type you see us all getting up in arms about...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thumbs up Spring

Interesting Jake...Even after researching a new outfit, bad things can still happen to good people. that 9 foot bear is very nice for western AK....very beautiful wolf.

Denis
    AK TAGS

Default nice bear

Jake,looks almost like a twin to one of the two we got,was able to hunt around the homestead and did good here,heard there was a crowd up north,the fur balls were popping like popcorn when we got #2,had 8 cross our tracks of 20 miles.missed out on a monster after a ten mile tracking through the alders,client almost dropped.sorry to hear the outfit was not so good,could of used ya here!

well you hear rumors about folks and so i did some research talked to all the legal people and even call references and asked questions they don't normally here...but this year he just milked the clients like crazy, even the guys who've worked for him for a long time didn't know how many guys were showing up till the day the plan landed. ya, hindsight is great ain't it..won't be guiding for him again for sure. but at least the clients i ended up with got a fair shake...and i got some business outa it too....
    chris, ya there was a pile up on the lake system, i had guys walk up on me twice.
    Master guide 212

GUSUK1: You told me last spring the bears were there and I guess you were right! It just wasn't meant to be for me? regardless of the tireless effort you put in. It is great to hear you got a couple of good ones this year. To anyone reading this and thinking of a guided brown bear hunt, I can attest first hand that Chris wiil work his "tail" off to get you a bear.

Jake: Great job AGAIN! It is no coincidence you have the reputation you have!! That wolf must be pushing 150lbs?

That bear is nice and dark, just the way I like them. Way to go. Huge wolf to boot. Super nice bonus!

Sounds like you earned some hunting time for yourself.

Good Luck!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

nice pics...what camera do you use?.....nice hide on bear & wolf!!

Default Welcome Back

Time spent outdoors with friends is priceless. Time spent in the outdoors dealing with DA's just keeps dragging on. Sounds like you got a lot of the latter, both from the outfitter and unhappy clients.
    SO, WELCOME BACK to Jake's world !
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

well for my camera i just have a cannon powershot digital, nothing fancy just something that works. does seem to take decent pics.
    ya we guessed the wolf right at 150, big dog, pretty impressive those critters are. they had backed a herd of moose into a draw and killed three of them and were pounding the area pretty hard. thats where i picked up the track of the bear we killed, snowshoed it back to his den, sat on his den for two days then he came out at night went over the mountian, so we circled picked up his tracks and took two days to sort them out then just followed his tracks and he was standing in the end of them. for reference he wasn't running off from the machines, seemed curious about, he was standing still and the cleint got down and used the seat of the machine as a rest...i was suprised at how calm the bear was, he just might notta been totaly awake i suppose?!
    Master guide 212

Default Flipped machines

This time of year I'm usually wrapping up the last of the machining season and some icefishing and love seeing the banged up guide machines parked at Aleknagik. I just cringe at the thought of putting a newbie on those machines then churning up soft snow or overflow...and let's not forget the tree wells and steep grades....glad everyone was ok.

Too bad the Lake system has to get so jammed up...I've gone up into those areas in the past but when there's machines watching every south slope....I'd rather just jig for char.

I guess I'm kinda suprised with the economic doom and gloom that this guy was plugged with clients....bear hunts ain't cheap.

LOL about the "snowmobile" comment! I totally agree! Awesome hunt pictures though, great job.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast