Thread: Knik River PUA Shooting Range

Default Knik River PUA Shooting Range

I'm not sure that everyone here has heard of the regulation changes that affect the Knik River Public Use Area regarding target shooting. Per the new (Nov 08) regulations you cannot target shoot on the PUA (read along Knik River riverbed on state owned land) from 2 miles downstream of the Old Glen Hwy bridges upstream to Friday Creek. To keep from excluding the sane shooters (a user group that are members of the public the PUA was formed for), DNR included up to 2 shooting ranges in the management plan for the PUA. And they are working at getting the one by Maud Rd in place. It will be a 200 yard range, shooting into a bluff of a mountain with no trails in the vicinity. Sounds like a nice addition to the Public Use Area.
    Now comes the plea for help - If you think this range will be a good thing, please email Lynne Woods (Assembly Member and Acting Mayor), John Duffy (Borough Manager) and your Assembly Member (if you live in the Borough) or all the Assembly Members if you don't via http://ww1.matsugov.us/Admin/index.p...4&Itemid=20118
    and tell them you support DNR's plan for the Shooting Range on Maud Road!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Default Let me put this

in the form of a question...
    Should DNR incorporate a shooting area in the Knik River area?
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Yes, and I sent the emails about it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Right now there are people at the end of Maud Rd protesting the shooting range, asking for people to sign a petition to stop the shooting range.We all need to call our rep and let them know ,it's past time an approved safe shooting range was in place and should only be the first of several needed in the valley. Alex.

So maybe we need to get a pro range list going!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Anybody actually walked the new Maud Rd range? They cleared the trees, so I walked it the other day. It's got some issues, mainly that it has a steep up slope grade. If you walk to the top, it's amazing how far you are above the bench area. Be great for sighting in sheep rifles!

Also pretty narrow once the side berms are put in. It's a bummer that they picked the spot and cleared the trees before actually doing any survey or design work. Also odd was that there was a trail running in the trees along the right edge that was being actively used by runners while I was there.

If you guys are down that way, check it out and put in some comments on how it could be improved. I don't think it's too late, they just wanted to clear the trees before bird nesting season.

Yk

In a different direction... I heard that approval was granted for a range in Wasilla by the sports complex. Any truth to this?
    If these ranges are put in, I wonder what the future of going to your favorite shooting cubby hole and doing your own thing, is going to be.