Thread: Valdez or Homer?

Default Valdez or Homer?

I live in Fairbanks and have family visiting me on May 9th. I would like to take them on a 3-4 day road trip to either Valdez or Homer. My question is, what would you guys recommend? I want to schedule a Halibut charter..Is the best fishing in Valdez or Homer that time of year. Homer is also appealing because I can take them clamming.

Any advice? Thanks.

Valdez is a lot closer to Fairbanks, and sure is a beautiful destination. However, the halibut grounds are much further out. Typically a 2 1/2 hour boat ride. I am sure either destination would be fun.

Default Valdez is my suggestion

Valdez is much prettier than Homer (no offense intended) as well as a much more scenic drive and like Steelieguy mentioned it's closer to drive from FB (now if I were to live in Anchortown I'd be in Seward all the time).

I've always found the fishing better in Homer but don't have enough experience to really make a good call on that. And Homer is a much shorter ride from the docks to get into good fishing which could be a pro or con for a tourist (more to see on the way to fish or a much more painful back on the way out).

Basically in my opinion a toss up either way, but for my wife and our guests Valdez is always the direction we go (when we don't feel like making the drive down to Seward).

just my two bits...

B

HOMER, AWESOME FISHING, GREAT CLAMING. GOOD LOOKING GUIDES
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Valdez is MUCH prettier than Homer, if anyone takes offense so be it, you haven't been to both places. That being said, I don't believe most of the charter guys start spooling up in Valdez til middle-late May, there ought to be some running though at the time you're looking at. I think there will probably be more guys running out of Homer. I'd say boils down to scenery vs. fishing, you'll get both either way just more scenery in Valdez, more fishing options in Homer. My $.02. Have a good time.

"Pretty" is in the eyes of the beholder. I've spent lots of time in both places, and I'd pick Homer over Valdez for the much wider array of activities available as well as better (and closer) fishing. I think Homer is "prettier" in many ways, but both sites are certainly "pretty" in their own right.

On your date of choice, you've got mid-morning low tides in the -2.8 range, getting higher each day thereafter. Clamming is certainly a possibility along the way.

As for distance, you're adding at least 3 hours of driving time to your Homer trip, so that's certainly a consideration. And it includes getting through Anchorage... and that ain't pretty at all.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

That is Shorebird weekend in Homer Lots to do

http://www.homeralaska.org/events/ka...ival/index.htm

You can get pretty scenery anywhere you want. As JOAT said, it's in the eyes of the beholder. Soon after the trip, the pretty scenery just blends together, but that picture and memories you have of your group and their fish will be with you and them forever, never forgotten. Homer.

Its like apples and oranges between the two. Both places are unique and a must visit for anyone coming to our great state...but for Halibut fishing this early, I would say Homer. You would also have a better chance to catch some feeder kings if you did a combo trip.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default Don't forget Kings

At that time you have a chance to catch Kings off the bluffs and Halibut are never far away. A combination charter might be a good choice. Homer.