Thread: pvc flooring for boat

Default pvc flooring for boat

I am helping my dad redo the floor in his lund back in Iowa. He has replaced the marine plywood floor two other times in 25 years and he wants to find somthing other then wood. He is not a fan of diamond plate because he will just put carpet over it. We are looking for a pvc floor like a cutting board or any other suggestions. Thanks

The problem with the plastics is they are generally pretty slick, heavy and you typically can't get any non slip to stick to it.

I'd say stick with the plywood, but coat both sides with epoxy and 4 oz fiberglass, and the edges. It should last the life of the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by rrjfish8 View Post
    I am helping my dad redo the floor in his lund back in Iowa. He has replaced the marine plywood floor two other times in 25 years and he wants to find somthing other then wood. He is not a fan of diamond plate because he will just put carpet over it. We are looking for a pvc floor like a cutting board or any other suggestions. Thanks
    I had my CDX plywood floor sprayed w/ bed liner and I gotta say, I think its one of the best mods I did this winter. Its just enough texture to have some grip but still hoses off OK. I only had the top sided coated, less expensive that way and I suppose it could dry better if it wasnt totally encapsulated.
    The Picture will give you an idea what it looks like, they had black and gray here, I would imagine in the lower 48 other colors may be avail?
    It cost me over 400 to do that in Fbks. in Iowa, maybe you could get that done for under 3 bills?
    Last edited by Akgramps; 03-21-2010 at 22:55.

Default wow

akgramps, your fuel tanks look awesome. did they come with the boat, or did ya have them made. i might have to break out the tig welder, and build me a set.

Quote Originally Posted by yetnaman37 View Post
    akgramps, your fuel tanks look awesome. did they come with the boat, or did ya have them made. i might have to break out the tig welder, and build me a set.
    Thanks for the compliment, and pleased am someone noticed.
    It was a joint effort over the winter, they are fitted around the side tray and tall enough to step onto instead of the tray when getting in and out of the boat. I ended up cutting out the original splash well also, IMO it was too low. With it raised, it allowed for the tanks to extend back under the spl well and now the batteries fit w/o a cut out in the floor boards.
    I sketched them out and had the local sheet metal shop bend em up and them had them welded by friend of mine.
    http://www.alaskametalartandgifts.com/

They hold 40 gallons a side and we have them connected together under the floor w/ an accessible valve so I can isolate them if I ever have a problem w/ contaiminated fuel or heaven forbid "a leak".

The old ones are for sale.........
    Last edited by Akgramps; 03-21-2010 at 22:55.

Default Green ply

I've had good, long term luck with the green, Allweather wood, plywood with marine vinyl glued to it. There are voids, but I filled them in with Bondo before applying the covering. Much cheaper than marine ply, and probably will last as long if not longer.

Gramps, Those fuel tanks are awesome. Curoius if you put any baffles in them or just left them open. I have a set made by Karolds in Fbks that replaced the pedestals for the driver and passenger seats in my Sportjon. Awesome if you don't mind sittin on 25 gal of gas.
    " There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot" - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by fishin_ak View Post
    Gramps, Those fuel tanks are awesome. Curoius if you put any baffles in them or just left them open. I have a set made by Karolds in Fbks that replaced the pedestals for the driver and passenger seats in my Sportjon. Awesome if you don't mind sittin on 25 gal of gas.
    We put 4 baffles each side to stiffen them up and keep fuel from sloshing during high speed take-offs and landings............. LOL

Karolds does a great job... and my theory on fuel is:
    "you can't have too much unless your on fire"

Default HDPE flooring

You can use high density polyethylene as flooring, no problem. The standard stuff is heavier than wood, but they make a "Lite" version that is weight equivalent to plywood for a given thickness. I think it's called seaboard lite or starboard lite? It comes in 4x8 sheets as well as other sizes and is texturized on one side. Most people use 1/2 or 5/8 plywood anyway, so this could be used if weight was a problem. I used standard 3/8" thickness and it worked just fine because my stringers were spaced fairly close. You have a choice of colors. It's easy to clean and won't absorb water. It does swell and contract slightly with the temperature so you have to drill the holes slightly larger than the screws used to secure it. It is spendy.

Take care