Thread: Double Limits

Default Double Limits

Which charter companys in Homer run the overnight trips for double Halibut limits?

Alaska coastal marine.............
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Default double chickens

A good experience - once. I kinda felt like we got chickened out - but if you know it ahead of time and know what to expect it is good.

My uncle's wife caught one of the biggest - 99 pounds (but we call it a hunnerd pounder)...I didn't get to see her catch it as I was on the other side of the boat. There were 2 fish caught that night that went over 80.

It is pretty impressive seeing 140 dead halibut on the floor at once...they sure haul the meat out. We had 36 people on the boat and everone limited.

The fish do seem to shut off late at night when it got dark - could be tides, but the guides/mates said that is standard operation for them, they also said that if they catch one in the wee hours it is usually a big fish.

Have about 15 pounds left - - just right!

Default Overnight Halibut Trip

My experience with doing the overnight trip = not so good.

The charter I went on had more people than fishing poles, so you had to wait in a queue to fish at the beginning of both fishing sessions.

The trip was geared towards quantity of fish = major chicken holes. In fact once we got on the water the captain informed us that we were going for quantity and not size...so don't be throwing back anything under 20lbs.

By the end of the trip nearly every passenger had gotten seasick...except the four members of my party (yay us!!) I believe that for most people the shear length of the trip eventually wears them down and they lose their lunch/dinner.

In the end the amount of meat of 4 chickens didn't really justify the time/costs of the overnight trip.

Kasilof Kid

Anyways, just my two cents worth.

My experience was pretty much identicle to Kasilof Kids. 26 people on the boat that needed to get 104 fish on the boat. We left late due to an accident on the spit, didn't get into a bite until 11:30 pm due to tides, and hence had to get those first 52 fish on the deck pretty quick, with maybe a dozen poles. By then most folks were tired, the bite was still on, so we kept fishing past midnight until the boat limited.

After that, my conclusion is a good six pack and two nice buts is a much better use for my money, then going on a cattle boat that is loading up on ping pong paddles. Not to mention if you get on a combo trip where you get some rock fish and salmon.

And while everyone talks about the generic 20# chicken, if you look at the average catch weight for Halibut charters, it is a 12# average. If you were to weigh the fish that get thrown back, I'd say they are more likely under 10#'s, and plenty of 12-15# fish get called "nice fish" by the deck hand, and thrown in the hold.

Thumbs down

It's pretty much a concensus from your replies and other posts Ive read that that overnighter is a waste of time - money & food , let alone the drive from Wasilla...Bob's Reel Repair 315-1581

For what you'd spend on the cattle boat overnight charter and gas, you could go to Fred Meyers, spend that money on halibut fillets, and more than likely end up with more fish in the freezer. And have a couple of days spent fishing on the local streams and lakes.

Then again, when I figure out what I spend on my boat, tackle and operating costs, charters seem cheap

There are some charters that do 2-3 day trips, and go after the big buts. I'm pretty sure they are run as 6 packs, and you'll get in alot of fishing. I could see those outfits being worth the expense, as you should get in alot of fishing, and end up with alot of fish. I'd also say if you go on one, do it after July 1 so you can get some ling cod.

A handful of boats do overnighters here in Seward, with typically 4-6 people. You are still pretty much paying for 2 charters, but have really good odds of nice butts with all the other flavors also. Crackerjack Voyager probably does the most. Bigger boats with comfort.

www.fishwithhill.com

Our group went out with ACM last year during July and had a great time. Yes, we had about 24 people on the boat, but by 9:30 - 10:00, most people were in their bunk sleeping and waiting for the clock hand to strike midnight. Although we had no halibut hit the century mark, we did have a lot in the 40-60 pound range. We had a wide open bite and as soon as you hit bottom, a fish was eating dinner.

On the second round after midnight, I was exhausted and had decided to keep the next fish that came up as my final one, no matter what size. Well, up came a halibut and before I could say anything the Captain unhooked it and and threw it back. Told me to go get something bigger. The Captain, crew and boat were fantastic.

My son and I ended up with a combined 96 pounds of fillets for the 8 fish, all great eating size. Thats about a 24 pound per fish average and you get to keep 4!!

We have fished for several years in Alaska and all agree that this is a fun trip. Once again, our Bakersfield group of 6 are booked on the night of July 22nd. We also have trips booked on the Kenai and out of Seward.

I'm new to the forum and sorry for the long thread but just wanted to let you know of the great time that we had on the overnighter and not to be scared of the number of people.

Come on out and join us on the 22nd, you'll have fun.

Just one more note about the overnight trip. If you are willing to stay at the rail longer, instead of going to sleep like most people, then you can sort through the catch and keep 4 quailty fish. Our friend did that and he ended up with 68 pounds of fillets, thats about a 34 pound per fish average. I told him he was just lucky, but the fact is, he was out there fishing while we were sleeping.

I work rotational in Algeria, had just traveled back to the Lower 48 and then straight to Alaska, yes, I was tired. This year, I plan to stay at the rail and we'll see just how lucky my buddy is! Will be 6 of us and think a wager is in the works.