Thread: What's the best gun/outdoor gear deal you ever missed out on?

Default What's the best gun/outdoor gear deal you ever missed out on?

Let's hear all about the greatest deal you ALMOST got, but for some reason it was not to be.
    Mine went like this...
    Was out for a ride on a saturday morning, walked into the driveway of a unadvertized(as far as I knew) country garage sale, there was misc. "manly junk" on 3 tables before you hit the garage, I was picking through some old used chainsaw bars to make knives out of, and used hand tools.
    About 10 minutes later I found my way into the semi-dark garage where an elderly lady was sitting and writing something on a sheet of paper, more tables of junk, clothes, pots and pans, nic-nacs, etc. etc....
    then I turned the corner and THERE IT WAS, stacked up against a wall!! not one, not two, not 3 not even a DOZEN, but TWENTY (YES, TWENTY) (20)unopened wooden CASES of U S Military 30-06 FMJ!!! each roughly the sz of a 24 can soda case, the sign taped on them read...(please pardon me here a minute while I dry my eyes)
    Ok, i'm ready now.......... the sign read... $2.00 EACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I turned to the old woman and asked... does that say 2 dollars each? she said yes it says 2 dollars each, I said I'LL TAKE THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    She replied... "oh i'm sorry, I just sold them all to that man that just left here, he had to go home to get his truck because it wouldn't all fit in his car! i'm making a sold sign to go on them right now"
    moral here, RUN into the garage for a peek THEN go look at the junk tables in the driveway, I guess the good stuff will be kept under cover in case it rains! That was over 20 years ago but still haunts me to this day!

Moving to Alaska or marrying my wife.....

Ron

Boy you are sadistic! I have had so many over the years that I would think it should be hard to pick just one . . . but it’s not. Same exact story as yours at a garage sale I happened on in Sun City Arizona about 1995. I went inside and there was a table of guns that were mostly parts guns, but a very good looking double shotgun grabbed my eye. I picked it up and the tag said $200 so as I am petting this English double it dawns on me I’m holding an English double rifle!! Just then the lady tells me it’s no longer for sale since her son had just informed her that he wanted it. Talk about going from zero to seventy and back to zero in a flash, what a rollercoaster ride of emotion that was. I did get a very good deal from her on a 8mm she had, but it was junk next to that double rifle. Now I’m all depressed about it all over again.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I saw a Craigslist ad for a Japanese NCO sword and I called the guy to inquire about it. He said he also had a few other things on a table in his garage that I might be interested in....

I showed up with $250...

I bought the sword for $150 and he also had an Arisaka rifle that I bought for $100...

My wife wouldn't let me buy all of the bayonets and other WWII stuff that was on that table but I'm convinced that I could have bought everything there for only a few hundred bucks....

I often wonder what lucky SOB got it all....

- Clint
    /_|o[____]o
    [1---L-OllllllO-
    ()_)()_)=°°=)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacajun View Post
    he also had an Arisaka rifle that I bought for $100..

- Clint
    Which Arisaka did you get, 7.7mm or 6.5mm? I have one of each.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I don’t let the would have, could have thing get to me too much, as I have lived a very blessed life, with a wonderful wife that allows me to spend far more money on firearm related stuff than any sane person should be allowed to spend……. That said, I seem to have a knack for always being about a hundred bucks short of the really “great deal” and this proved to be the case at the last Palmer gun show that I attended with a couple other forum members. Both are lever gun lovers as am I, and we happened across a near perfect Win 94 BB in 356 Winchester. The sticker price was less than half what they are currently selling for…… although I was unable to make a go of it (half price is only a good deal when you can afford half price) my friend was able to work a deal! Loosing out on the good deal doesn’t sting nearly as bad when you can turn a friend onto it, and watch him walk away a happy man!

Besides, although I didn’t know it at the time, I was only two rows away from another “great deal” that I could afford! Loose some and win some, but when you and your buddy both make the great deal, then it’s a win-win all around!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

1853 Enfield three band, great shape $500, 1989 gunshow. Had a new baby and no bucks. Stil makes my stomache churn.

I have 2 that I've not been able to forget;

I was at a shop in Tigard OR a few years ago and they had a Ruger Hawkeye .256, and a Ruger 357 Max - both LNIB for $400 each. It was still $400 more than I had on me at the time.

A coworker (and good friend) was selling "two old rifles" for his Dad, who had just gone into an assisted care facility. When he showed them to me they were Winchester 88's - one in 243, and one in 284. Both with Leupold 3x9 scopes. They had been hunted with, but were in very good shape. His Dad had bought them both new, and figured those two rifles would do everything he'd ever need to do with a rifle. He sold the pair for $600 with scopes, dies, and brass. It was again $600 more than I had at the time.

Nate

Enough to make ya cry these stories!
    I just thought of one more.. I was in a gun shop I used to hang out in and a fellow came in and sold to the owner 8 or 10 unfired Reising finned 10" or 12" 45acp barrels, they were mint all the way, the dealer gave him $20 for all! he offered me half of them for $20 and at the time I just couldn't see a use for them, so I passed

Gun shop in Farmington NM late 90's guy had a browning b-78 in 22-250 with beutiful wood. I ask to look at it and find a big scratch on one side of the buttstock other than that it was lnib, guy says nobody wants it cause of the big scratch if you want it 250$ and shes yours. Just as others have said it was a great deal but that was 250$ more than I had at the time.

I'll start with the most recent:
    Was out garage saling and there was a table with some shotguns, all 12 gauge. I didn't really look as I have enough 12 gauge shotguns. The guy behind me picked up the pump and said to his wife, "wow, a Remington 870 Wingmaster Commemorative for $150!" I felt bad. Very bad.

Last fall walked into a Gander Mountain, left the wallet with my wife so I woudn't spend money. We were trying to save. Was looking at the racks when I found a stainless Weatherby Mark V in .300 Weatherby, clearanced out for... I need a moment... $299. I couldn't find a counter guy so I dashed for the car. The wife said yes quickly and I dashed back. Just to see someone else say, I'll take it.

Years back I was working part time at a sporting goods store chain whie in college. Store manager was a joke who knew nothing. Came in one day to have him tell me he had sold two guns that I hadn't checked in yet from the delivery truck. Standing rule is that a gun guy had to check them in. Well I checked the manifests. He sold 2 stainless Kimbers, a 30-06 and a 300 WIn, for $200 each. Someone was really happy. I quit.

schmidt bender 3-12X50 scope....I saw it on ebay for 400.00 with 5 days left on the auction...didn't really need it and figured it would jump up in price...It sold for 525.00...(1800.00 scope)
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT

Quote Originally Posted by idahotrophyhunter View Post
    schmidt bender 3-12X50 scope....I saw it on ebay for 400.00 with 5 days left on the auction...didn't really need it and figured it would jump up in price...It sold for 525.00...(1800.00 scope)
    SURE, you just HAD to mention an ebay "miss out"
    About 8 years back I had webtv, nowhere near as fast as the slowest computer with dial-up!
    I had typed in "knife" and was looking for old knives in general, nothing special but just looking.
    Well, I get to the first page and about the 8th one down was a orig. Remington RH-40 (10" blade Bowie style, Remingtons largest of the old hunters) book price on it was $3000 mint cond. this one was NICE but not mint but easily a $2000 specimin! it was at $175 with just under 2 minutes to go! I had the cash in hand and was going to bid $1000, I typed in the $1000 bid price and sat there in disbelief as webtv took over 2 minutes to load the next page where I would confirm my bid
    It sold for $177.50

Default One still sticks in my craw...

The Master Sergeant that enlisted me into the Air Force in 1973 retired about 1975, and opened what became a really nice little gun shop in Pocatello that is still in operation under new management and name. (Doc's Gun Barn http://www.gunsamerica.com/SearchLis...7;20Gun%20Barn )
    The ol' Sarge had sold the place to a couple of chowderheads around 1976, and they promptly got into trouble with ATF over their records, and Sarge stepped in with his FFL to liquidate some of their 'stuff'. One piece hanging on the wall was a take down 1886 Winchester rifle with checkered, upgraded factory wood, an 'embellished' rifle, in .33 Winchester. Price tag said $350.00, and I didn't have my checkbook, there were no ATM's in those days, and I didn't have a credit card. That left me with high-tailing it back up the road 20 miles to withdraw enough funds from the credit union I used, and Sarge said he'd hold the rifle for me for the hour or so it'd take to get back. Sure nuff, I showed back up with the required currency in hand, but the rifle was on it's way out the door in the hands of another fella. Seems Sarge hadn't mentioned holding it for me to the other fellas working that day, and one of them sold it out from under me. I still see it from time to time at some of the gun shows, but I ain't a gonna pay the current asking price for it!!!!!

(BTW, Doc is NOT the guy who had records trouble, and he and his crew are a darned good bunch of folks to work with!!!)
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 05-02-2009 at 04:40. Reason: .

Unhappy I need a hiney kickin

Couple years ago, at the local gun show, had the opportunity to buy an original 1895 Marlin in mint condition for $450 (tag price). I drooled and said I'll check on it later (I still don't know what "later" was all about)...well, you know the rest; it disappeared. Start kicking.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Default This happened ....

just yesterday. Went to a gun show out of town, not much there, so we went to a little gun shop about a block away. There on a little shelf behind one of the display counters was what looked like some pistol scopes. I asked to look at them to make sure. There was 4 Leupold Compact riflescopes, 3-4x and one 2.5x $125 each, minor ring marks and the guy ususally will haggle. And me with only $40 in my pocket.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!