Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bait Stations

Default Bait Stations

Anyone getting any hits yet? We've had our bait out over a week and nothing. It is a new spot so it might take some time.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Looking Forward to checking

I can't wait to get back in town and check the camara. Bait will have been sitting for about a week also. There was still about 3 feet of snow when I set mine up last week.

Post So far so good...

Been checking the bait station about every 2 days nows and got hit last Fri and Sun. Got a trail cam out now and can't wait to check it Thurs or Fri. Good luck to all!

Wow, wish I were you guys. Tried to get to my bait site on Sunday...Ended up getting the wheeler stuck and leaving it over the night, brought the snowmachine in the next morning to recover the wheeler and ended up burying my truck up to the axles in mud and had to be pulled out by a tractor. After two days and over 50 dollars just to get the mud off I got everything recovered...not even getting out to put the bait in for atleast another 2 weeks....good luck to youall.....

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Anyone getting any hits yet? We've had our bait out over a week and nothing. It is a new spot so it might take some time.
    Have you put up a good scent bait? If you haven't try dragging a burlap sack stuffed full of rotten meat or fish around the site, not just near the site but several hundred yards in every direction. We would find bear trails and drag it all over those trails and we always had bears within a few days.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Have you put up a good scent bait? If you haven't try dragging a burlap sack stuffed full of rotten meat or fish around the site, not just near the site but several hundred yards in every direction. We would find bear trails and drag it all over those trails and we always had bears within a few days.
    Stop and pick up one of the Moose Hides laying in the bar ditches, from road kills. Drag it around, in and out of your bait station.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Costco Imitation Vanilla

I use Costco Imitation Vanilla, I put a string in a gallon and let it slowly drip. Takes about 3 days to empty the gallon and it keeps a sweet sweet smell in the air.
    I also walk all of the trails coming into the bait station with a spray bottle and spray all of the bushes. I had one come in right behind me, licking the leaves as he was coming in :-)
    I also do a couple of honey burns too.
    Sweet stuff seems to work a lot better during the early season.

Default Anise balls

I went out Sat and checked mine out by the knik.. nothing as of yet, I did hang a Anise ball I got from Baitem and also spread the anise gell balls out on a trail going in each direction.. I dont know if the trail I am on is bear or moose.. We'll see this weekend I guess.. If nothing, I am policing everything up and moving up the mountain another 500 feet or so..

Default Catch a good up draft

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    I went out Sat and checked mine out by the knik.. nothing as of yet, I did hang a Anise ball I got from Baitem and also spread the anise gell balls out on a trail going in each direction.. I dont know if the trail I am on is bear or moose.. We'll see this weekend I guess.. If nothing, I am policing everything up and moving up the mountain another 500 feet or so..
    and do a honey burn, saves a bunch of gear packing :-)

We took some peach syrup stuff and sprayed it all over the area, stuff smells good and it's very strong. I don't know it is still a little early. Will probably hang something up soon if we don't start getting hit.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Might of lost my spot

Had a really good set up last year. Lots of bears. I am in Iraq and my wife went down last weekend to set it up and there were some trees cut and the makings of a new stand in the same area.
    She had it registered as of the 1st but didn't get up there until now. Will go back this weekend to see if someone has moved in. If so we will opt for a different area I suppose.
    Hate to leave it as it was a good one, don't want her in any confrontations though!
    If all works out I will be home in June to get a day or two in, hopefully get my stepdaughter onto her first big game animal!
    She is excited!!!!
    Post some pictures if you all get some from your tree cams!!!!
    Thanks

Default Bait Station..

Fish and game should be checking the area when people register to see if any one has already registered in the area.... Have the misses talk to fish and game about this...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger357 View Post
    Fish and game should be checking the area when people register to see if any one has already registered in the area.... Have the misses talk to fish and game about this...

LOL... and do what? they do not manage where folks put the stand.. or the tent, camp fire etc... they will tell her to talk to the new guy. but if her stuff was not out.... oh well..

sorry folks are that way. but if it was not marked they set up a good spot. F&G only prints a permit whre you tell them it was. i dont beleive they track the permits in that area until later...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I hike six miles per day, and so far I have come onto four (4) bait stations this spring, some with bait, and some with no bait, yet non had current "Postings". Two are well less than (1) one Mile from homes, with children.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    I hike six miles per day, and so far I have come onto four (4) bait stations this spring, some with bait, and some with no bait, yet non had current "Postings". Two are well less than (1) one Mile from homes, with children.

Turn them in thats what we pay the F&G to take care of.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskantrapper View Post
    They won't do anything! Gotta call the TROOPERS!!! We found two old bait stations, but still had barrels and stands in the trees. Not just recently put up either, snow was on the barrels, just started to show and no tracks in or out yet, stands were loaded pretty heavy with snow. Will keep an eye on them and turn in if people return! Bastages!

Default Here is one

I saw the markings of a guys bait station right on a atv trail last weekend just to the west of friday creek at the base of the mountain.. Has 8 or 9 hunting license numbers on it..(I guess it will be heavily hunted).. But in the description block it says East of Knik Glacier.. I was thinking of finding an old compass and hanging it on the tree.. I dont htink that guy knows his directions or all 9 of them for that matter.. (east of Knik Glacier) would be impossible to get to by atv and you would be somewhere near grasshopper valley (north) lake george area..(SE) LMAO<

Default Try talking to people first

Some people put bait stations way to close. There is one about 300 yards from out cabin. It hasn't been baited. I ask F& G for the address, found his old permit. They will not give out any info. I want to get along with people, but I thought I would point out that if anything happens to me or my wife, he will be sued.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskantrapper View Post
    I am not that type of person, I will leave them a note, and give them till next year to move. See, I want the bear population reduced in my back yard. Much more gooder for sportsmen to do it, for them it is fun, for me it is work. Plus I do not have enough electricity for a freezer. So I can't keep the meat this time of the year.

Hope, thats all fine and dandy until they come knocking on your door thinking they are your baits..... I guess I don't understand the logic of mentioning it on an open forum where you know darn well you'll get a reaction and then do nothing but give them a note? You clearly stated your stand on this, even going as far as mentioning homes "with children". Then the second post, its all good? whew......
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast