Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Licensed assistant guide for griz

Default Licensed assistant guide for griz

Is a licensed assistant guide enough to meet the requirements for someone to guide a nonresident? I am not sure if the different "levels" of guide licensing in AK all qualify.

If no is a Licensed class "A" assistant guide good enough?

Thanks

DonV

The short answer is no, he/she has to be emplyed by a registered guide, he/she cannot contract with you individually. Here's the link to the regulation governing what each level of licensed guide can legally do.

http://www.dced.state.ak.us/occ/pub/BGCSStatutes.pdf

What part of Ohio are you from?

Default guides

Don,
    A licensed assistant guide will still work for a registered guide. In other words there is a good chance on your hunt that you will be with an assitant guide when you are after your animal however, the Lisc. reg. guide you sign with / pay etc... has to be in the field at least to sign the paperwork when you start your hunt.
    So in short you won't be able to hire an asst. guide, even though there are assitants who have been working longer than some registered guides.
    The reg. guide is the one who will pay the overhead costs like insurance, logistics camp gear .... its thier business & they hire lisc asstiants to help out.
    It seems that you are looking for a shortcut here.
    Try & stay away from questions like the "best area," "great hunt" .
    There is no one best place & any hunt will be a great one if you let it.

as a guide i'm gonna second what marmot said about areas and hunts...

Thanks guys! I have a hunt booked for 2011, and it will be my only one unless I find a way to cut costs, going to look into cancellations. Wish I was an elk guide out west, I hunt out west a lot for elk and coulf trade an elk hunt for sheep, or 2 elk hunts for sheep, but I doubt I can find someone willing.

Bill I am from around the Cleveland/Akron area.

That link worked yestrday but now requires a login - what happened?

Sometime I get a hard time for trying to find a way to hunt sheep cheap and legally. Some my remember my sister moved there, she did not stay long enough to guide me sheep has been my dream, I have to pay $10000 to hunt them. I try to draw lower 48 tags but is is very hard at best.

I am willing to bet no one giving me a hard time about it would dump $10000 to hunt sheep! No one has been rough with me but I do get a feeling some guys just figure some dummy from the lower 48 MUST hire a guide or he will die up here. That may be the case with some but not me. I fully understand what I am getting into and feel I could do a hunt myself but for legal reason cannot.

I am a working man and have 1 new baby and another on the way, so I can either give up and break the bank on 1 hunt ot try to find a way to do more hunts for cheaper.

I do not feel I should have to pay $10,000 to pursue my dream hunt, but it looks that way.

Default move

Quote Originally Posted by DonV View Post
    I am a working man and have 1 new baby and another on the way, so I can either give up and break the bank on 1 hunt ot try to find a way to do more hunts for cheaper.

I do not feel I should have to pay $10,000 to pursue my dream hunt, but it looks that way.
    Simple and legal solution: Move to Alaska!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I am originally from Cleveland. Joined the Air Force and finally retired from here and stayed.
    I understand your frustration about having to spend $10,000 minimum on a sheep hunt. And, don't take this wrong, you may not know what you are really getting into while hunting sheep up here. You may not die, and the chances of something going wrong may be low but they are there. I've taken a number of people (experienced hunters) on their first caribou hunt and sometimes can't believe what they think and do. That's one of the reasons I have yet to go hunting by myself in Alaska, although I've hunted by myself in the lower 48 a number of times. Regardless, the law exists and there is no way to differentiate an experienced hunter that may be able to do it with someone that can't.
    My brother lives in cleveland and has a number of caribouo hunts under his belt if you'd like to give him a call. Let me know and I'll PM you with his number.

I don't think the requirement of a guide to hunt sheep and bears is solely based off of an inexperienced hunter dieing in the field. I'm sure it also has to do with a guide's experience with our (Alaskan) laws and legality of a sheep or bear that you may have a chance to take. It's the State's way of sending someone along that knows all these things and can help you make a choice as to weather or not the animal is legal. Yes there is a chance that you could get yourself into a life or death situation as well, but the State can't decide on a individual basis whom could survive the Alaskan wilderness or size an animal correctly. So unfortunatly if you want to hunt bear or sheep in Alaska you're going to pay the $10k or get creative by sending a second degree of kindred to live here for at least 2 years!

- Clint

Bill sure, send me his number

Also Clint I am sure you are right about identifying a legal animal, but I also bet outfitters pushing it through helped! If it is a legal animal then why is mountain goat on there?

WY has a wilderness law, you can hike, camp, fish, in wilderness but if a NR wants to hunt he needs a guide! Another law, things like this frustrate me more and more as I get older. Ah well.

I am taking actions to hunt sheep! I am working 60 hours a week, saving a parge part of my income and investing carefulls, so hopefully one day I can come up.

One day hopefully I can draw a lower 48 tag too!

I have asked my wife many times about moving, not even a chance.

Thanks guys

Red face Dream hunt?

I also would love to hunt sheep,grizzly unguided in Alaska, but living in the lower 48 it looks like it will remain a dream. Any thing you do in life you run the risk of injury, or worse. Do you really believe that as a non rez, to Alaska on a moose hunt it's safer than goats or sheep? Deep sea fishing is probably more dangerious IMHO. Any type of hunting carries along risks. Is it safer for a resident of Alaska to hunt the large bears as apposed to an experenced hunter from the lower 48? Hiring a guide will help with logistics, labor ect. but I submit to you that many have the same hunting skills while living in the lower 48! Last year a millitary sgt. drown in NY when salmon fishing with his dad, and he was crossing a river in the same place that others did before him. Sheep hunt 10,000 + not for the working man with all the demands on him today! As the saying goes , what ever the market will bare, rings true here. Just the chance at a draw tag for sheep, grizzly for me as a non rez. would make my day! No I think it's based on money and politics rather than pure reason. Bill

Default Hunting Skills

With all due respect LongHunter7, hunting skills have little to do with it, it is more about survival skills. I realize there are a lot of hunting opportunities in remote areas in the lower 48, but I have seen way too many people underestimate Alaska. From tourists to fisherman to people that move here, they just can't comprehend that we get hurricane force winds, 12ft seas, no fly conditions, rain for weeks at a time, etc., as a common occurance. Yes, there are some politics and money issues involved in the guide requirement. I believe that all non-residents should be required to have a guide for their first hunt, regardless if it is for moose, caribou, sheep, bear, etc. The most rediculous thing is not that a guide is required, it is that a non-resident can be a guide here. They can bring up all there equipment from outside, take all thier money outside without paying state income tax (which Alaska doesn't have), and never even have a residence here. They can't even hunt bear and sheep without having a guide themselves. Talk about not utilizing our state resources for the people of this state!

I have to admit that there are probably a lot of residents that are able to hunt the 2 species that probably shouldn't be!

Ditto Blackfoot...

- Clint

Default Hunting Goats/Sheep IS Tougher Than Moose Hunting

Longhunter,

No offense, just my .02. Although a moose is a LOT of work once you get them down, I believe that hunting goats and sheep is indeed tougher due to the elevation, slope, and makeup of the terrain they inhabit. There's a lot more climbing of steep mountains, crossing glacier-fed streams, negotiating shale slides, etc. On a moose hunt, if you fall you're likely to get soaked in swamp water or bump your head on a spruce stump. If you fall on a goat/sheep hunt, you might be falling for quite a while. While I've encountered high winds while moose and caribou hunting - up to 40-50 mph - the wind can blow a LOT harder than that on the slopes of the sheep mountains.

I know you were probably just commenting that some of us non-residents have the ability to hunt safely without a guide, but I didn't want anyone to think that moose hunting and sheep/goat hunting are equivalent. Just check this forum in the summer, you won't see any posts asking about fitness regimens to prepare for a moose hunt, but you'll see plenty of posts on that topic for goat and sheep hunts, for good reason.

Michael

People SHOULD be asking about fitness routines for moose and caribou. I will readily admit sheep and goat hunting is a lot tougher. However, carrying that moose or bull cariboou quarter a couple miles over the tundra is not something to get ready for by sitting behind a table.
    The reason for the law is probably multiple. Regardless, it is the law and I don't blame Don for trying to find a cheaper way of doing it, which is what this thread started out being. The recent changes to the license requirements are another item of dicsussion. Now the fact that a nonresident can legally guide you to game that they cannot legally hunt with out a guide does seem ridiculous. Does that mean if I wound one and he kills it then its his and its a illegal kill? Retorical question guys.

Red face Just to expensive!

Hope I did not offend anyone. I well understand that Alaska is a serious place to hunt , and at times can be a dangerous. The hazzards mentioned don't discriminate between rez. vs. non rez. On some hunts that were spoken of it might be wise to have a partner. It's just unless you reside there that kind of expense is out of reach for many. Bill

Default Cheap Sheep Hunting

DonV. If you want to go on a cheap sheep hunt apply for a unlimited tag in Montana. The hunting is between 9000 and 12,000 feet and grizzlies are sighted most days, it is not much different than Alaska. I have hunted both extensively.The draw back is that it will cost you $750 for a license. You have a 3% chance of killing a sheep and after several years of hunting you will find and be able to kill a sheep. As for goats it should take between 5 and 7 years to draw a goat tag in Idaho.

What Alaska needs to do is have the same guides licensing law for mountain climbers and hikers since they climb the same mountains that are inhabited by those two white animals. I would like to see how long that would last when climbers and hikers are barred from climbing mountains on federal land.

Default how long

I wondered how long it would take before someone brought up Federal Land use. Move to AK or stop winning

These complaints/arguments come up all too often on here and as muc h as I feel bad for DonV the reality is that there are many places in the lower 48 that I would love to hunt but probably never will due to cost associated and draw percentages. Its just the way of the world. The state you choose tolive in or a neighboring one is all you got. The reasoning for the guide requirements is arguable, is it safety, is it difficulty, technical knowledge, or just plain the only way to keep our state from being over run by sheep,goat and bear hunters from the lower 48? Who knows, I can tell you which one I think it is and I am for it.

yeah I'd agree with you, Roland.
    And the Great Land can, and will, extract a frozen pound of flesh from her longsuffering residents.
    I'm thankful to have experienced many great high country Alaskan hunts and I'd say spend the money if you can, Longhunter. Life is short and there are few things that can inspire and awe one like the Alaska wilderness.
    I've been vocal about overpriced hunts, but sounds like you'll regret you never did it when you are old and gray.

Best, Frank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast