Thread: Whitter blackbear hunting

Default Whitter blackbear hunting

Im trying to plan out when to head out of whitter for blackbears. Hows the snow level doing?

still quite a bit from what I have heard. They are poking their heads around though. Won't be long.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Whittier

Snow level is slowly getting better with each sunny day, but the current rock/dirt level just to southwest of Whittier is overwhelming.

Default Whittier BB

I'm new to Alaska hunting, do you need a boat in Whittier? I'm in Anchorage, just trying to find a place to hunt. Can't find anyone at work interested.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorprincess View Post
    Im trying to plan out when to head out of whitter for blackbears. Hows the snow level doing?

Default boat?

Naw, a good pair of chest waders will suffice.

Default Boat?

Quote Originally Posted by missingmontana View Post
    I'm new to Alaska hunting, do you need a boat in Whittier? I'm in Anchorage, just trying to find a place to hunt. Can't find anyone at work interested.
    Only if you want to get anywhere past the parking lot.......

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Only if you want to get anywhere past the parking lot.......

Come on, he can make it out to the boat launch and then all the way around the shore to almost the otherside..

Yes you will need a boat in whittier, however until the tunnel opens a boat wont do you any good though unless you already have one tied up at the docks.

As for places to hunt, their are many more out their than whittier.. If you go out of whittier I suggest you bring someone experienced or at least a buddy... Things to include the weather can change quick.. Also if you hunt around anchorage + or - 1 hour drive you can just go out and walk trails.. glass, glass and glass some more. With some patience and some luck you will find bears.. once spotted plan a stalk and go after them.. check the regs though to be sure your in a legal area and also watch out for no tresspassing signs.

Sans boat, you're better off hunting of the Seward Hwy South of Turnagain arm. Lots of bears all the way down towards Seward, though not all of them are black bears. Saw some rather nice grizzlies at the bottom of an avalanche chute by Summit Lake Memorial Day last year.