Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What,s Finger Lake Look like?

Default What,s Finger Lake Look like?

Any word what looks like out that way?

Default Mushy

I drive by Finger lake almost every day, and as of today it still looks like quite a bit of ice left, but pretty mushy on top. Not much good for anything yet.

Thanks for the Reply!! Let us Know when!!The time is right!!

As of yesterday afternoon the Big Su and Yentna rivers are at least 80% ice. The extreme lower Su has seen some ice moving but not much else has moved, it's just melting away from the banks. Mother's Day was always my first river weekend. It'll be iffy this year.

Just drove by Wasilla lake and its starting to go at the edges in some areas.

Default Edges are opening

Just returned from Finger lake boat launch. Melted around the edges a few feet and back in the shallow coves its more like 30-50' of open water along the edges.
    A couple more days of this weather and its time to dunk the boat.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Just returned from Finger lake boat launch. Melted around the edges a few feet and back in the shallow coves its more like 30-50' of open water along the edges.
    A couple more days of this weather and its time to dunk the boat.
    BK
    Do you really think it will be open by the weekend (2 days)? Please keep us informed as I would really like to get the boat wet and run the motor up for an hour or two before I take it out in the salt.
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    As of yesterday afternoon the Big Su and Yentna rivers are at least 80% ice. The extreme lower Su has seen some ice moving but not much else has moved, it's just melting away from the banks. Mother's Day was always my first river weekend. It'll be iffy this year.
    My earliest king on the Little Su was May 12, but I have heard of them being caught before that even.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Still iced up

Driove past Finger Lake this afternoon and the east end has maybe 50 or 60 feet of open water, but I think its gonna take a few more days for the rest of it to go. Did not get down to the boat launch, so I don't know if there is any open water to fire up those engines on the trailer or not.

Just got back from the launch and there is maybe 10-15' of open water. akraven

http://www.deshkalanding.com/index.html Won,t be long now! Theres another thread about the Yenta, Was moving out tonight

Quote Originally Posted by akraven View Post
    Just got back from the launch and there is maybe 10-15' of open water. akraven
    I can't help but think yesterdays weather could have made a major change in the ice on Finger. Anyone go out there yesterday or this morning yet?

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=53856 looks like some of the guys found some water here!

Default Ice

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    I can't help but think yesterdays weather could have made a major change in the ice on Finger. Anyone go out there yesterday or this morning yet?
    Sill pretty solid... I stopped in yesterday and went down to the launch. There's still only about 20' of open water at the launch and although the edges in some areas have about 60' of open water over near the launch the edges show only about 20'.

Thanks Bigbrown. I went by several of the Anchorage lakes that were still iced yesterday and they are ice free today! I was hoping for the same out there so I could get my boat wet.

Might be able to get your boat wet this weekend. Called the Elks Lodge and asked them how it was and a boat was being launched as we spoke. They said there was still ice in the center but wont be long. But im sure if a few people go out there and create wakes the ice should melt by the end of the day. I'm already thinking about going out there before the ACES game.

By mid afternoon Lake Lucille was half ice free (east half) and Wasilla lake had that dark almost thawed look and the west end was free for about 100ft from shore. Getting close.
    akraven

Put the boat in at Lucille today, all the ice is gone.
    Finger Lake still has alot of ice. People are putting in but just not much room to get out and run.

Where's the launch for Lake Lucille By the Best Western? Is there a motor size restriction? akraven

The Launch is just past the Ski Doo dealership. If you are headed north on the Parks turn like you were going to head down KGB past 3Rivers Tackle shop then take a right on I believe it is called Susitna Avenue. As far as restrictions I called the Parks and Recreation department and I was told that Finger, Cottonwood, Wasilla, and Lucille are all under the same classification.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast