Thread: Free Halibut Charter for Active <Deployed> Military?

Question Free Halibut Charter for Active <Deployed> Military?

One of my clients had a parent that was deployed within the last 6 months and made it back home recently. The other parent explained to me today that she learned that her husband can have a free halibut charter, but didn't know where to find it or who was offering this to active military that have recently been deployed. She said that she knows it to be possible because her neighbor's husband (who was also recently deployed) was able to hop on the possibility of doing this free halibut charter.

My first response is that this is awfully generous to whomever is offering this to our military folks up at Eielson AFB. Thank you to whomever you are that really is offering this if this is genuinely being offered.

Second, I'd like to know the validity of something of this nature because I have never known it to be the case and this is my first time ever hearing about something like this. I'd like to do the research for my student, but especially for the parents. The husband sure can utilize something like this... not because he wants it. Honestly, because he needs it.

I am NOT looking for a free gig or deal here. I just want to know if what this family is being offered is for real or if it's a benefit that they aren't familiar with... or if it's a fluke and there is nothing out there that's offered for them, even with said parent being recently home from being deployed? I just want the record to be set straight and for myself at the wife to be on the same page with his.

So... again... thank you in advanced. I'll be looking forward to you responses.
    COtoAK
    Lurker.

gimmee a sec and i'll look it up .. see what I can find

here you get this info to them to sign up .. it sounds like fun

http://www.combatfishing.org/

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Default Seward

I know it is in late May. Sometime around the 24th or so, not sure on exact date. I heard of it from Pro Fish N Sea charters, he is one of the boats that volunteers his services and boat. I know there is some group on Fort Rich or Elmandorf.

Thanks for your responses. I'll be sure to let her know about these both. They can sure use it.
    ~COtoAK
    Lurker.

Default Military Appreciation Day

Military appreciation day in Valdez is June 7th. Not really sure where all the people come from. Some Army, Air Force, and Alaska Guard.

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    Military appreciation day in Valdez is June 7th. Not really sure where all the people come from. Some Army, Air Force, and Alaska Guard.
    For Military Appreciation Day, do people give free charters?
    Thanks for the post!
    Lurker.

Default Military Appreciation Day

My guess they are free. Crowley pays for the fuel and I do not get paid so my guess it is free. Last year I had Alaska Guard and Army people on board.

It is the 21st of May in Seward. 522-9622 today is the last day to sign up.

Hello. A majority of the trips that are offered with Combat Fishing are offered on the side by the generous hearts of the people that own the boats and participate in these events. Sometimes these trips are offered thru our site and some are just put out there by word of mouth. 90&#37; of these trips are true to the heart.

Mike

I will be sure to call my student's mom and tell her that today is the last day to sign up.

I'll be sure to tell her to call Combat Fishing as well.

Thanks again to all of you for responding. You have no idea how much this is going to mean to this family.

COtoAK
    Lurker.

The combat fishing tournament is for vets from either Afghanistan or Iraq. I think the base commanders have the final say on who goes because of certain qualifications for entry. This year we have 335 spots available. All the captains/boat owners have donated their vessels and costs of the trip. VFW is putting on the food. We had a big fund raiser about a month ago for all prizes. Last year the biggest fish won $20,000 and 2nd, 3rd and 4th got either motorbike or 4 wheeler. Really sweet deal! I believe in all about 100 prizes were awarded last year... lots of awesome hunts were donated. This year we are trying to have a prize for every participant. Feel free to donate. PM me if you want anymore info.

This year will be the 3rd annual combat fishing tournament which was started by Saltwater Safaris. A big thanks to the 30+ Seward charter boats that are making this tournament grow.

For more information: www.thankthem.org www.combatfishing.org www.asymcaofalaska.com

I just read the ymca site and it is pretty informative.