Thread: Susitna river from Denali Hwy?

Default Susitna river from Denali Hwy?

Can you access the Susitna river from the Denali highway bridge? I would like to explore some new moose territory and thought this area looked promising. My hunting group has a wide variety of boats from big inboards to small outboards.

Any info on access to the river and if it is navigable would be appreciated.

More like, Airboat country I,m sure others will jump in and explain further, as i have not had my boat up there.

Do you guys have access to a airboat???? As I understand it from the Sustina bridge on the Denali upstream is mainly airboat country due to lots of braids and low water. I know a good number of airboats run that area in Sept. but perhaps a small boat with a lightweight jet outboard might not be too bad to pick your way through or push off a bunch of sandbars.

No, we do not have an airboat, or an airplane for that matter.

What about downstream?

I take it from your reply that there is a way to launch a boat at or near the bridge?

Yeah roger that on the east side of the bridge there is a launch. Granted its not as quality of a launch as say Deshka Landing, but the parking fees are better

Thanks for the info.

Anybody else know what it looks like downstream from the bridge?

We were thinking about taking the 17ft Wooldridge Alaskan. Maybe the 19ft inboard if there is water.

This forum ROCKS!

I looked at buying some land in that area of the river to the east. Most folks told me that it is possible to get a boat up there. I asked because I would be hauling lumber of a cabin. I am told that is good bear hunt there as well.

Ron

I have not launched a boat there but have been told it is airboat country thought it is possible to use a smaller boat with an outboard if you are riverwise and have some strength for pushing off sand bars. I wouldn't take an inboard up there, just too darn heavy for when you do get stuck.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default airboat country

when a jetboat arrives in airboat country the last thing you want to do is go downstream. if you are not familliar with the country you could get high and dry quick and downstream is not the place to be.

+1 to Riverrat said,... Ron I don,t know were your land is? This is a mean River that far up North, Most of us Haul the building materials in the winter. Far easier to slide that stuff across the snow, than to motor it in a boat! You Can get a boat up there, but one fully loaded with lumber? well lets just say, you better know the channel well! Just my 2 cents,
    Last edited by SusitnaAk; 04-29-2009 at 07:46. Reason: more

Gold Creek area...... I looked at an 80 last year and had talked to the railroad at using their siding stop near the river. I had two guys in talkeetna tell me it was possible by boat. I didn't buy the property.....I'm looking to the Yukon right now.

Ron

There are a LOT of boats on the river during moose season; both sides of the road are lined with trucks & trailers. You definitely won't be alone.

Tim

You definately do not want to take anything there except an airboat. I took a 16' Jon boat with a 40 horse jet there and did not make it 1/4 mile. I sucked so much sand into my jet that I ruined the lower unit. I did go up stream thank goodness. One thing that you also need to remember that if you do go upstream that the east side of the river north of the highway is non motorized. That includes transportation with a boat with a motor. You can always go upstream and park your boat on the west side and walk across the river to the east side to hunt. Most all the boats I have seen there have been airboats and almost all go downstream.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by crossfoxAK View Post
    You definately do not want to take anything there except an airboat. I took a 16' Jon boat with a 40 horse jet there and did not make it 1/4 mile. I sucked so much sand into my jet that I ruined the lower unit. I did go up stream thank goodness. One thing that you also need to remember that if you do go upstream that the east side of the river north of the highway is non motorized. That includes transportation with a boat with a motor. You can always go upstream and park your boat on the west side and walk across the river to the east side to hunt. Most all the boats I have seen there have been airboats and almost all go downstream.
    Close but no cigar. You can hunt the controlled use area from a boat all the way up to the East Fork of the Susitna. Sorta tricky regs, but that is the way it is. East Fork is closed to all motorized use.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~