Thread: Juneau Fishing

Default Juneau Fishing

Hello all. I just moved to Juneau and I am looking for some good fishing areas. I brought a boat with me so it should not be trouble getting to semi distant areas. I tried tee harbor and false outer point areas with no luck. I hear the kings are just around the corner. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, for any type of fish, crab or shrimp. Thanks a lot.

you are on the right track, you just gotta be patient the kings will be in some day.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Monkey is Right

You are already in the right neighborhood - it is still a little early for Kings. Some of the better fishermen I know have been struggling so far with trolling in Tee Harbor and over at North Douglas. I caught a nice white King in Tee Harbor Saturday morning, but no strikes and no "teeth marks" on my bait since.

At this point you just have to "put in your time" and you will begin to score as the run develops. ;-] You will discover that a place can change and become productive from one tide change to the next. If you can find an area with schools of herring take some time and work it over. Spring spawner Kings will hang out around schools of herring. Good luck and welcome to Juneau!

I hit 2 nice fat kings late last week out past Pt. Adolphus... they're coming! Next weekend it's off to 5-Finger to see if the flatties are cruising in yet. Windham and Snettisham should be some good trolling on the way home...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post pic of boat.

Maybe I can personally show you how to fish the local drags.

I will most likely be on the South End this weekend, but not as far down as the Can-Can. (you stay away from my drags!)

We're doing the blue grouse, bear, king salmon + crab gig. Basically a spring-type grand slam of sorts.

Anybody see signs of Dollies around town yet? Twin lakes dosen't count
    Nice Marmot.

Default Echo

I saw a few dollies flipping around out at Echo on Sunday. There were some small schools of humpy fry floating around.

Dollies have been out for a week or two...I have been picking them up while practicing with the 2-hander.

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    ...(you stay away from my drags!)...
    I've been fishing Bishop, Slocum, Arden, Doty, etc. for over 30 years. I actually WILL be out that way soon... only reason I go as far as 5-finger is to help the owner get set up down there for the season. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    Anybody see signs of Dollies around town yet? Twin lakes dosen't count
    My resident dollies are getting fat again in the boathouse feeding on the fry in Aurora... I just wish my nuisance of an otter would quit trying to eat the dollies and go away!

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm gonna try the morning tide fishing dollies under the bridge tomorrow... I'll report what I find. Hopefully I'll get into a fish or two... I have been catching trout for a while now just nothing in the salt yet. Lots of humpy fry around for sure. Leaving town tomorrow so its gonna heat up friday
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I've been fishing the south end drags for 36+ years, so there!

I don't get real serious on the south end till about Memorial Day and the weekend before thru Father's day. So, north end in early to mid-May, then south end, then terminal area of Auke Bay and Fritz.

Fishing - Kings, still no luck in saltwater for me. Halibut, PM for a spot.
    Shrimping - Barlow Cove works out well. Beware that folks WILL mess with your pot there. I had great runs till more people started dropping their pots out there. Then my numbers started falling and I noticed my bait was getting switched around. Then all my expensive pots just disappeared one day.
    Crabbing - Admiralty Cove, Echo Cove, Gastineau Channel.....hell pretty much any spot at about 30ft deep. If you want good free bait, hit up the fish processing plant near the ferry terminal for halibut carcasses. BE SURE TO WHERE CLOTHES THAT YOU DON"T MIND SMELLING LIKE OLD FISH FOR DAYS.

Default dollies

For dollies which are my favorite here, I fish Echo real close to the boat launch and also Tea real close to the boat launch. Soon they will be just about everywhere. They move around in schools. Watch for the smolt to start hitting the top of the water all crazy, thats usually a sure sign dollies are underneath them. Ive already scored in Echo and posted a couple pics in a new thread. My largest ever from the shore here is 24 inches if i remember right but Ive lost bigger. Im hoping to break that record this year.