Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cambell creek

Default Cambell creek

Howzit everyone, i was cruzing around Cambell creek today and i was trying to look and see if i could see some trout in their being that almost all the ice is gone but then i got to thinking, is the trout even in the rivers yet? so my question for you all is "Do fish stay in rivers even in mid winter when the rivers are frozen or do they swin to lakes that are connected to the rivers during winter?" and if they swim to lakes doing winter when do they head back out to the rivers? thanks for the help in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by 808Alaska View Post
    Howzit everyone, i was cruzing around Cambell creek today and i was trying to look and see if i could see some trout in their being that almost all the ice is gone but then i got to thinking, is the trout even in the rivers yet? so my question for you all is "Do fish stay in rivers even in mid winter when the rivers are frozen or do they swin to lakes that are connected to the rivers during winter?" and if they swim to lakes doing winter when do they head back out to the rivers? thanks for the help in advance.

On streams like Cambell most of them will migrate back to the lakes. They will push up in the spring (aka in the next few weeks). Then come up to feed on bugs, rodents, and salmon eggs and flesh. Cambell is to small and shallow to really have any winter over it in. The bigger Rivers (Kenai) do have some that can hang around all year long or they hang around the lake outlets where it does not freeze solid
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default thanks

ok so probably most of the trout are in cambell lake right now then right? thanks for the advice man, i appreciate it.

Not a problem. It is a shallow stream they have to winter somewhere. Im sure there will be more thoughts on this thread. I learn something new all the time. I have only been here 27 years. Believe me Im just starting to almost "figure" out fishing
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I also went by Campbell today and walked the little creek for some time and did not see a thing. The ice for the most part is gone, so im gonna try. If not you will see me on upper ship.

Default Getting out early...

is good! Especially with the excellent weather lately. Whew!

I think it was Tony Route, who at the end of a chapter on fly fishing for reds/sockeye salmon, comments that some people don't believe reds will take a fly, to which he responds, "I've heard that too" - and just smiles.

Other guys here have loads more experience than me, but every year, someone catches fish before anyone else hears the fish are here.
    If I have time to fish, it's never time wasted - nothing like "local knowledge" - finding holes and cut banks at low water for instance. One of the best times to get out is early season. Guys may not post specifics, but shopping early seems a sound approach to beating the crowds - particularly on more accessible streams. When you do find fish...enjoy the fruit of your labors.

Default one more question

Is all of cambell creek open for trout fishing year round cuz i was looking at the rules and regs and it only said when and where coho season is available but it didnt say anything about trout besides that its open year round from pipper up. but i live really close to cambell and i wanna try some nice spots that i seen.

It is open for trout fishing, but it is closed to retention by emergency order. http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...RT-2-04-09.pdf
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

so let me get this straight, you can still fish for them but you just cant keep them is that right?

I threw some smolt traps in Campbell Cr. for work yesterday, there's some fish around.

so let me get this straight, you can still fish for them but you just cant keep them is that right?
    exactally, catch and release only
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Rainbows in Campbell Creek start heading into the creek right as the ice goes out for spawning not for bugs/food. Like all rainbows the spring drive far outweighs the search for food. Rainbows respond to the light cycle, i.e., the increase in daylight as well as the water temp to spawn. They are in the creek now. Just prior to the water getting high and turbid sight fishing to spawners is possible. I've been fishing Campbell this way since the early '70s. Watch out for bears.

yeah my brother and my dad was walking along cambell today and they said that they seen a couple of then swimming up stream so they are in cambell already which is great news! lol. but you said that they go up in spring to spawn so what kind of set up would you use to catch them now if their not really looking for food?

yeah my brother and my dad was walking along cambell today and they said that they seen a couple of then swimming up stream so they are in cambell already which is great news! lol. but you said that they go up in spring to spawn so what kind of set up would you use to catch them now if their not really looking for food?
    They will eat but their big drive into the stream from the lake is to spawn. In spring I use predator patterns such muddlers, leeches, and smolt patterns, as well as small pale orange egg patterns because rainbows like all fish will eat their own or other spawners eggs. Attractors with red on them will often get strike when rainbows are in their spawning colors. I almost exclusively sight fish this time of year even though I have mixed emotions about harassing spawners. A pent up winter without any open water fishing will force me to do it. Good luck.

What area of campbell creek are ya guys talking about? I was at the park by ymca near tutor a week and a half ago, it was almost completely open expect for the sides, and there were NO trout yet whatsoever =/

How big are the campbell creek trout you guys are seeing? Ive seen them up to 24 inches

Not all the fish are spawners. The fish stocked by ADF&G are triploids and they do not spawn. Use the patterns mentioned below. Beads always work, but epoxy fry patterns are also a good bet.

Reproduction may not occur, but I believe triploids still go through with spawning activities even though it is delayed in their life cycle and does not produce offspring. I do not know a lot about triploids, however I can tell you that I have seen plenty of them attempt to spawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    What area of campbell creek are ya guys talking about? I was at the park by ymca near tutor a week and a half ago, it was almost completely open expect for the sides, and there were NO trout yet whatsoever =/

How big are the campbell creek trout you guys are seeing? Ive seen them up to 24 inches
    well the fish we seen were only about 6-7 inches and were going right around the taku elementary entrance area down to taku lake area. and we had no luck what so ever, lol. however we were just using small nymphs, i think ill try tomorrow with some beads. i know this might sound like a stupid question but how would i make a bead set up? i heard that you have to poke a toothpick in the bead to hold it their but how far away from the hook to i place the bead?

Some go through the "motions" and some don't. Either way, they will actively take a properly presented fly.

well the fish we seen were only about 6-7 inches and were going right around the taku elementary entrance area down to taku lake area. and we had no luck what so ever, lol. however we were just using small nymphs, i think ill try tomorrow with some beads. i know this might sound like a stupid question but how would i make a bead set up? i heard that you have to poke a toothpick in the bead to hold it their but how far away from the hook to i place the bead?
    Regs say if you peg your bead, it can't be more than 2" from the hook. You can also let the bead hang free on your leader, although many don't care for that because A) bead against the hook can turn a fish away and B) bead too far from hook can cause a foul hooking.

There are lots of posts on this forum about how to rig beads (everyone has their own variation) but the basics are thread your bead of choice onto your leader, tie on a hook (#6 or #8 size hook, typically, I like Daichi X510 style, but any egg/glo-bug hook will work), peg the bead (if you wish) 2" above the hook using toothpicks/bead specific pegs from the local fly shop, then trim the peg so it isn't sticking out from the bead and use split shot 12-18" above the hook to make sure the bead is as close to the bottom as possible. A strike indicator is also not a bad idea and very effective, although some folks feel that is too close to bait fishing

Also, fished north fork of Campbell Creek sunday evening around the bridge on the dog sled trail (outgoing trail I think it's called?). Nothing happening on egg patterns or woolies. The creek was flowing fast and the water was turbid in the upper river. It's still fairly clear by campbell creek park off of piper but haven't seen any fish in there yet. I'll check again today.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast