Thread: There out!

Default There out!

Dangit to high heaven the Mosquitoes are out.Is'nt this a Little early? I can only imagine how its going to be out there on the bear stand.......so ya'll had better stock up on your thermacell's.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel in Ak View Post
    Dangit to high heaven the Mosquitoes are out.Is'nt this a Little early? I can only imagine how its going to be out there on the bear stand.......so ya'll had better stock up on your thermacell's.

ya I got hit last night...

was that you I saw at the Back of the PX today....

Talking First Kill

I had my first kill of the season last night on the front porch....Slow and dumb, but huge!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sluicebox View Post
    ya I got hit last night...

was that you I saw at the Back of the PX today....
    Why yes it was. I just finished up or the day working on that job.I was wondering who the hell was waving at me.

Quote Originally Posted by puff95 View Post
    I had my first kill of the season last night on the front porch....Slow and dumb, but huge!!!!!!!!
    I nailed one yesterday myself, and already Im dreading going to the stands.But someone has got to do it.

Yep, the forecast is for a huge crop of skeets this year and they'll be carrying the swine flu....they're calling it flying pig flu, everyone better just stay home this summer.

On the bright side im about to win the Nenana Ice Classic. All my pics are for the 3rd and 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel in Ak View Post
    Arg... and I thought that you were going to say that the bears are out and post a couple of your pictures from your wife's Tom Tom. :\
    Lurker.

Default Mosquitoes

Speaking of mosquitos, there isn't a SINGLE one in Soldotna.

There ALL married.LOL

got ate up on the back of Elmendorf working with my dog tonight. The lake was still froze over...must have been some snow melt puddles near by I didnt see. Tough little *******s!
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

Default Breaking news!!!!!!!

They made a mistake and scratched the permits for now .... The updated one will be released May 5.... So no need to apply now. Just use the permit paper as kitty litter.

Before you freak out I GOTCHA YEAH
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

So just curious... What is the best rifle caliber for hunting mosquitos? I know they like to attack humans and are especially dangerous in thick brush.

Short barreled 12 gauge, alternate slugs and 00 buck, use only Brenekke Black Magic slugs or Dixies. Buck shot is questionable though, due to poor penetration, really depends on who you ask. Some say a big bore handgun, no smaller than .44 mag with heavy hard cast bullets and others won't be caught out in the woods with less than a 45/70 in short handy rifles. Me, I use spray mostly.

Talking Heads up...

Before you kill them, make sure they don't have a ruby colored neck.Our hummingbirds showed up 2 weeks ago.GR

Default good hunting!

While the skeeters are out in numbers, I dont believe the true wall hangers will arrive for at least a week. I went and did a little spot and stock on the willow last night. Saw lots of yearlings but nothing I would consider a true trophy.

As far a cal. of gun, I was packing a .300 weatherby mag with 180 gr ballistic tips. Now I know the 375 H&H crowd might think I am a little light but I find that if you stock within 75 yards and place your shot just behind the wing they never go further that 20 yards.

I do recommend that if you wing one, you wait at least 30 min. before tracking, and use the buddy system. Few things in the Alaska woods are more dangerous than a wounded blood thirsty skeeter. Good hunting and be safe.

Default Careful

I saw two brown shirts out yesterday checking license and bait permits. Be sure and have the right permits for baiting skeeters wouldn't want anyone to get in trouble.Watch those limits!!
    I lost a trophy last year over near Nenana, two shots from a 416 but he still got in the alders and I never found him. I was just hoping he didn't get mad and attack some innocent fisherman, but I didn't hear about any near fatal attacks so he must have just crawled off and died.
    Be safe use the buddy system.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default If you use a pistola on 'em..

Don't forget to file off the front sight.

Best shot I could get at one today, There were to many of them stalking me to take a good pic. They had me conered and had to run for my life. Wait til tomorrow.

fire 084.jpg

Hey you ever tried to get a pic of one when all his/her buddys want to take a bite out of you

I suppose I'll be breaking out the thermacell for this weekend.

I'd take a photo of where I was bit lastnight, but it would be x-rated.....
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    I'd take a photo of where I was bit lastnight, but it would be x-rated.....

SO many questions....

....SO little time!
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Got wide lens? ha...you guys are lame. Thanks Hippie, at least we know there is a sense of humor out here somewhere!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"