Thread: Water Spot Remover?

Charterboat Operator

Default Water Spot Remover?

searched but could not find an answer to removing salt water spots from the exterior glass. have used vinegar, several other cleaners and of course rain x , but still have spots. Any one got any tips to making a spot free windshield?

Default Try this

I have done a lot of cleaning in my day. Try to use foam Resolve Carpet Clearner. Let sit for a couple minutes and it should come right off. Yes, on glass! I know it sounds foolish but it works. Good Luck
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Default Another suggestion

This may also sound a little crazy. I learned that many detail shops use diluted sulfuric acid in a spray bottle. One of my former students showed me this trick down in Lewiston, ID. Spray it on and wipe it off clear. Very stubborn spots may need extra help from 00 steel wool. The steel wool doesn't scratch the glass if you don't go crazy with it or press too hard. One must keep in mind the hazards associated with sulfuric acid and keep in mind that it will damage the paint, spot the aluminum or gel coat if it gets spilled.

Pro Car Beauty Products sells a glass polish product called C27-Q which works ok and is safer to use. I'll use the C27 for minor water spots and save the sulfuric acid for severe water spots.

Acetone and lightest steel wool, brand new razor blade. If it's pitted it will only take off surface attachments, then you are looking at a buffing wheel, which is intended to take the surrounding glass down to the depth of a pit or scratch, causes distortion in some cases.

I own a glass company, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Coaldust View Post
    This may also sound a little crazy. I learned that many detail shops use diluted sulfuric acid in a spray bottle. One of my former students showed me this trick down in Lewiston, ID. Spray it on and wipe it off clear. Very stubborn spots may need extra help from 00 steel wool. The steel wool doesn't scratch the glass if you don't go crazy with it or press too hard. One must keep in mind the hazards associated with sulfuric acid and keep in mind that it will damage the paint, spot the aluminum or gel coat if it gets spilled.
    Do you mean hydrochloric acid? A dilution of hydrochloric acid is commercially available as Muriatic Acid. Handy stuff for removing mineral stains on masonry and tile. I'd bet it would work well to get salt stains off as well.

I tried the Resolve Carpet Cleaner today. I could not tell any difference. I also tried light scouring with "0000" steel wool, again with little effect. I'm still looking for the magic solution.

Try a Mr. Clean Magic eraser. It works on shower glass.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Thanks for the suggestion but the eraser had no effect either.