Thread: K-bay hunt report

Default K-bay hunt report

Headed down to Homer on Friday to kick off black bear season a little early. Actually, the only time I have for black bear this season... The bay had a SCA for Friday, so Homerdave took me over the following day, Saturday. Set up at Rusty's Lagoon. All coastal areas seem to have no more snow on the first set of hills/mtns closest to the bay. I hiked a total of 12 miles on Saturday with intermittent stopping to glass the mountainsides. Saw nothing at all. Didn't see any tracks down low...on the trails, or in the river or creek bottoms. Saw several sets of moose tracks and several piles of fresh moose poop. Also saw quite a bit of coyote poop. I made my way from Rusty's Lagoon over to Grewingk Lake and from the lake all the way down Humpy Creek trail. From the trailhead of Humpy Creek, I then hiked back along the beach following the forest and drainage basin of Grewingk River. At this time the tram across Grewingk River is NOT working. But, as of this last Saturday, there wasn't 1 drop of water in the riverbed so it made for easy crossing. I'm sure the warmer it gets it will be dang near impossible to cross. After a long day of hiking, and seeing nothing alive except for 1 rabbit, I headed back to Rusty's Lagoon. The next day, I decided to keep the glassing close to camp. I walked about 1 mile to the base of the cliffs surrounding the lagoon. Snooped around in the thicket up against the cliffs and saw nothing either. After a couple of hours, I headed away from the cliffs. I was about 200 yds from the cliff, sitting in the sea grass, and I decided to sit down and take a break, maybe glass a little. Something black caught my attention about 200 yards away up in a cottonwood tree, right next to where I was previously. I could only see a little black because the neighboring spruce tree had branches overlapping the cottonwood branches. Through binos I could see black fur. I knew it was a bear, but couldn't see if it was a cub, sow with cubs, boar, etc... I had to reapproach the thicket that i was just in to get a better eye on my target. During this movement, the bear scurried down the tree and into some really thick brush, never to be seen again. Didn't see anything else during my trip there.
    Temp was hovering mid-40's to low 50's during the day, with intermittent rain showers on Saturday. Sunday was 51deg with sunshine. Even though I know it was early to be heading across the bay, as warm and as nice as it was, I'm shocked that I only saw one bear. Head on over guys, I think the bear will be coming out in droves in the next week or so, as long as the weather holds up.
    Also saw 4 more hunters come over to the lagoon on Sat evening. Go get a bear while you still can.
    Also, have to give Kudos to Bucknrut (Josh) for letting me crash at his place on Friday night. After getting my Friday transportation canned, it was either the Bidarka, or my truck. I found out AKDSLDOG was in town, called him to meet up for a drink...or 5. He was staying with Josh. Even though I only met Josh one other time, he put me up for the night. And Yes Josh, I owe you one...
    Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver_99654 View Post
    Headed down to Homer on Friday to kick off black bear season a little early. Actually, the only time I have for black bear this season... The bay had a SCA for Friday, so Homerdave took me over the following day, Saturday. Set up at Rusty's Lagoon. All coastal areas seem to have no more snow on the first set of hills/mtns closest to the bay. I hiked a total of 12 miles on Saturday with intermittent stopping to glass the mountainsides. Saw nothing at all. Didn't see any tracks down low...on the trails, or in the river or creek bottoms. Saw several sets of moose tracks and several piles of fresh moose poop. Also saw quite a bit of coyote poop. I made my way from Rusty's Lagoon over to Grewingk Lake and from the lake all the way down Humpy Creek trail. From the trailhead of Humpy Creek, I then hiked back along the beach following the forest and drainage basin of Grewingk River. At this time the tram across Grewingk River is NOT working. But, as of this last Saturday, there wasn't 1 drop of water in the riverbed so it made for easy crossing. I'm sure the warmer it gets it will be dang near impossible to cross. After a long day of hiking, and seeing nothing alive except for 1 rabbit, I headed back to Rusty's Lagoon. The next day, I decided to keep the glassing close to camp. I walked about 1 mile to the base of the cliffs surrounding the lagoon. Snooped around in the thicket up against the cliffs and saw nothing either. After a couple of hours, I headed away from the cliffs. I was about 200 yds from the cliff, sitting in the sea grass, and I decided to sit down and take a break, maybe glass a little. Something black caught my attention about 200 yards away up in a cottonwood tree, right next to where I was previously. I could only see a little black because the neighboring spruce tree had branches overlapping the cottonwood branches. Through binos I could see black fur. I knew it was a bear, but couldn't see if it was a cub, sow with cubs, boar, etc... I had to reapproach the thicket that i was just in to get a better eye on my target. During this movement, the bear scurried down the tree and into some really thick brush, never to be seen again. Didn't see anything else during my trip there.
    Temp was hovering mid-40's to low 50's during the day, with intermittent rain showers on Saturday. Sunday was 51deg with sunshine. Even though I know it was early to be heading across the bay, as warm and as nice as it was, I'm shocked that I only saw one bear. Head on over guys, I think the bear will be coming out in droves in the next week or so, as long as the weather holds up.
    Also saw 4 more hunters come over to the lagoon on Sat evening. Go get a bear while you still can.
    Also, have to give Kudos to Bucknrut (Josh) for letting me crash at his place on Friday night. After getting my Friday transportation canned, it was either the Bidarka, or my truck. I found out AKDSLDOG was in town, called him to meet up for a drink...or 5. He was staying with Josh. Even though I only met Josh one other time, he put me up for the night. And Yes Josh, I owe you one...
    Johnny

Awesome post!!! Thanks a lot for posting your notes. I am getting our boat ready this weekend and will give it a week or two before attempting to go out and get a spring bear. If you hear anything else, please post it here. I will also post anything i hear or experience over the next 2/3 weeks. Thanks!
    Marc Theiler