Thread: Somewhat leary..

Default Somewhat leary..

AK Gold Forums sending money requests for forum admission?

Scam? or actual request?
    Hard to tell these days.

Money request's ?? I have been on there tonight and didn't see that..

Mods delete if this is inappropriate:

Email received:

Dear Alaska Gold Forum Members,

This is one of the most difficult letters I've ever had to write. Please read all the way to the bottom, because this information may affect your future membership in our forums.

Since its creation in 2002 I have lived and breathed The Alaska Gold Forums. I couldn't be more proud of them. They are one of the most popular and useful forums of their kind on the Internet. We have resources in the form of people that are just not available anywhere else.

When I wake every morning my first act of the day is to check every post to assist with any technical or personal problems between members. My second act is to check every new member that has registered during the night so I can ban Spammers. Most Spammers are actually robots that auto register and try to access the forum members profile looking for email addresses. There are about 60 of these per week and they're growing in sophistication, demanding my administrative presence throughout the day to keep us safe.

I spend no less than 5 hours per day on administrative tasks on our forums seven days a week. I also do the same things on the New 49er’s forums.

The creation of our forums and my exposure to the public through them has resulted in people asking my help with mining, trapping and property rights issues and regulatory problems that seem to grow with each passing day. I interact with individuals, organizations, legislators and agencies, both state and federal in an ongoing effort to short circuit the regulatory burdens that are being forced on all of us. I attend many scoping and comment meetings for various agencies. These usually require nighttime attendance in addition to all the other work I outlined above.

It is difficult if not impossible for me to not help when I have the knowledge, contacts and ability to make a difference.

It has become painfully obvious to both my family and I that something has to give. If I have to add one more thing to my schedule, something else has to be put aside.

I pay for all the expenses to keep our forums on the Internet, keep our members safe from Internet threats and deal with all the administrative tasks to keep us up and running smoothly.

To put it bluntly, I am broke. Five years of battling my late wife Marcie's cancer with no health insurance has wiped out my retirement. I live in a remote area with no employment prospects for someone of my age (67). But to move to look for work would mean abandonment of my home and destruction of my credit.

At the urging of friends who know me well and believe this should be my life's work, I am asking for a small annual fee for membership in the Alaska Gold Forums of $10 per year.

This is completely voluntary for you, our existing members. I consider you all to be the co-founders, you are grandfathered in for one year and are not obligated to contribute, nor will you lose your use of the forum for not contributing until your year is up. It is extremely difficult for me to ask you to help pay for the administration and hosting of our site. Unfortunately, this is my last option before I face extreme upheavals in my life that would negatively impact the time I can spend on this forum and miners rights.

One year from the date that this is implemented, you who were already members when this went into effect, will be required to pay $10 to renew your membership for another year.

Any new members that register will have a three day trial period to access our forums and see if they like them before they pay, then they will have to pay the fee or be denied access. It will not be a voluntary contribution for new members, but then, they will have agreed to pay this to join our forum.

Please excuse the impersonal manner of this email salutation and sending it by the bulk email and PM features on the forums. This is the only way I can be sure that all members see this message.

Please also note, the number of registered members you see at the bottom of the page is a bit misleading; it is the total number of people who have ever registered since 2002 when I first created the forums. It does not take into account people who have left, people who have been banned, Spammers who have been banned, or people who have lost their password and re-registered. There are actually 2,370 present members.

I hope you'll agree that this community and its wealth of information are worth $10.00 (ten dollars). The link below will take you directly to the PayPal subscription page.
    http://lincroft.echoechoplus.com/Sub...ld_Forums.html
    You can use this same link to unsubscribe.

If you want to pay by check, please email me at to let me know and remember to put your forum username in the note section at the bottom left corner of your check. I have to have your username to admit you.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and God bless you for your support.

Jim_Alaska
    Administrator

-------------------------
    bbBoard v2 - start your own community - www.bbv2.com

Last edited by Brian M; 04-28-2009 at 19:41. Reason: personal information

Thanks for posting that, I never received it. I will say it is real, I have known Jim since I first met him 2002 when I signed up for the new forum (I was a member of the first gold forum also) Jim IS retired, did loose his wife Marcie, and is on a fixed income, and has been footing the bill for the forum since its beginning.

It's the real thing. I belong to other sites that have paid memberships as well.

Im conflicted. I assume the businesses that promote their products on the forum directly to forum members benifit exponentially more than the average forum member. The forum serves as a marketing venue with built in target demographics. I'm not sure I want to pay for that privelage. It is a good forum most of the time. I asked Jim if I could promote my business in the forums some time ago. I never got an answer. I'll have to think about it.

btw...this is probably not kewl to discuss on another forum.

Default AK Gold Forum...

I've asked this board to remove the personal information from the above post. That message was a PRIVATE message, not intended for public sight.

The AK Gold Forum does an excellent job of NOT allowing advertising in posts. Anyone who tries to get free advertising for their business gets jumped on immediately by members and the post is deleted. And anyone who has spent time on the AK Gold Forum knows spamming will get word spread around the world very quickly to NOT buy your product(s).

Although there's a fine line between members building new products/ideas and writing about them so we can learn and actual businesses spamming the forum. But, regardless, they do a great job.

Any businesses that want to advertise can buy space at the top of the forum.

The AK Gold Forum is, by far, the best place on the internet for prospecting knowledge. The archive is a wealth of information, and the members include experts in every aspect of mining.
    $10/year is a steal to join that forum.

I wasnt refering to members with businesses of commercial ventures...I was refering to the sponsors of the forum. But anyway...I agree the minimal fee isnt prohibitive and the principles do a good job.

Default Yes, If legit, I will pay

Yup, I will pay the 10 by check. There is no way I will ever use pay pal. Google around a bit and you can see some real horror stories regarding pay pal. That is why I will not use the company that owns to sell stuff on line - E bay that is. Be very careful with any entity that wants to auto withdraw from your bank accounts. Maybe I am wrong but I am very careful with this kind of stuff.

Good call Cheeser, personal info belongs in a PM.

I have known Jim and the late Marcy since before they got married. Very real people and would not hesitate to give you the shirt of their backs to help you. Jim would not have sent out something like this if he truely did not need it to keep such a great service going. Like most know, he has been footing the bill for this himself since its start.

Will

I'm a little bit confused..Isn't Alaska Mining and Diving a sponsor and paying some of the tab for the forum? If Jim is footing all the cost of the forum, what do the sponsors do exactly? BTW things are tight everywhere. This kinda reminds me of SBS organizing a "homeshow" and gathering their vendors under one roof and charging people admission to come listen to their pitchmen try to sell them stuff. Think I'll keep my 10 bucks and you all can brag to eachother how much more you donated.

Mics, it has nothing to do with bragging rights. Why the attitude???

It's about sharing knowledge about mining and prospecting. I challenge anyone to find a richer source of information, or a more diverse group of experts in the field.

AMDS purchases advertising space, just as the 49ers do. No company "sponsors" the forum as you imply. Jim pays all expenses out of his pocket, on top of the expenses he pays to defend mining/prospecting in the many court challenges we face.

You don't have to join the forum, but don't go around implying nefarious actions by Jim when you're not familiar with the specifics.

what nefarious actions did I imply? Either AMDS sponsors the forum as steve claims or he doesn't. If he does then jim does not foot the entire bill for the forum. I can't testify one way or the other. What I can testify is that it cannot be both ways.

You implied Jim was pulling some kind of flim-flam scam like SBS charging for their "homeshow". That was uncalled for.

By "sponsor" I think he means he buys advertising space at the top of the forum, along with the 49ers. I highly doubt two advertisers cover the cost of the hosting service much less the hours he puts into administrative duties.

yes thats what sponsor means and I think you are projecting. I dont know if its "flim-flam" but I wont be paying ten dollars to have people market their goods to me. Hmmm maybe if the ten dollars allowed me to advertise MY business on the forum (they do have other than gold forum)...or maybe 50 dollars...or 100 dollars. Anyway sorry you are insulted that I see it differently. America! What a country!

If your into prospecting and gold mining the $10 spent will be more than recouped in the knowledge that you gain. Plus the opportunities that are available. I've connected with at least 5 other claim holders that have given me permission to come out and prospect.

The AK Gold Forum has 2 sponsors or banner ads. No annoying pop ups or anything else. No spammers. I belong to some other forums that also charge a small membership fee. It's well worth the price.

What Cheeser (and others) said!
    I don't think anyone has said that Jim is footing ALL the cost of the forum, but he has been paying A LOT of it. And nobody has been paying him anything for that time...it just kind of got dumped on him. (which amounts to HOURS every day)
    I've known Jim (and his late wife Marcy) for many years, and he is NOT operating a "scam". He is retired, with limited income, and basically broke from numerous medical bills from Marcy's cancer treatments and hospital stays. He spends many hours every day making sure the Gold Forum operates the way it should. AK Mining & Diving does not pay "all the expenses". They've paid to have their banner ad placed on top of the forum (just like any other outfit that wants to pay can have their ad placed there too), but not Jim's "pay" to operate the forum...he's been donating his time to us for free...but paying website fees out of his own pocket. That isn't fair to him. Don't know where anyone gets the idea that Mining & Diving is paying for "everything", or that we should get it all for free.

People are entirely free to go elsewhere if they don't want to pay the $10...it's a free country...

Marshall/Ak

Would you buy him a beer or two if you ran into him in the bar? Well, buy him a beer or two that he can drink at home. Geez, $10 is chump change....send it in or shut up.

I did.. 4 months ago