Thread: Fish guts in the pot...

Default Fish guts in the pot...

~~LOL!!~~

This is what is done with the Sheefish guts when were done processing them.

Wts been rainy and warm, so the wife thinks its gonna be a bad idea to dry them this spring, so she wants to freeze them. If it turns out good, well fish again..hell, were gonna fish again anyway
    First the fish is beheaded, then split down the center, because the wife is saving the bodys for the freezer. frozen fish are easily sawn into staeks copped frozen to dip in oil, or thawed and baked as a "roast".
    When the Head is gone the belly is split and the insides and bloodline are removed.
    Then the liver and eggs are set aside into ziplocks as frozen breakfast's this summer.
    Next the stomach is removed from the intestines, and split open the stomachto remove the Herring or Smelt they have packed in there. Some are 12 inches long.
    The stomach is cleaned and set aside as a meal of its own, I preferr boiled.
    The intestines are full of fat and theres gobs of it just ready to be plucked out with teh guts.
    We rinse the intestines and then add enough water to cover them about 2" deep. The Fish Oils will collect here, and the rest will sink. we skim off the oil with a ladel and save it in glass jars, in the freezer. Its an excellent dip for meat and fish alike, and cleans out your veins as well. It makes dryed fish juicy and a balanced meal.....some add it to soup.
    Its the River equivilant to the oceans Seal Oil.

I love it smotherd on Dox and Greens with shredded dryed Whitefish and garlik salt...Drooooooooool.......
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Whoa!!

Looks like Photobucket got drunk.......

Any way, we simmer the intestins/fat over a low heat "3" on a "1-10" electric stove.

Skim off all the scum that should appear, floating at the top.
    fish oil will last months in a refrigerator, a couple years in a freezer.

We gave our heads to a musher who put them to good use with the cooked guts.

And there ya go, the final product.

Default Strange...

Your posts are always fascinating, please continue to post more stories, adventures, and ways of life from your corner of the state.
    BK

Default Oil

Very cool, this could come in handy for the rest of us one day.
    Thanks for sharing.