Thread: Sitka steelies...

Default Sitka steelies...

I have an opportunity to deliver a boat from Seward to Sitka. If so, I'm hoping to take a day for some steelhead fishing when I get there. As I've never been there or know anyone personally who fishes over there, I was hoping to find some good beta on steelhead fishing... not sure what my transportation logistics will be once I'm there.

any advice? feel free to shoot me a PM also.

thnx.

Default Sitkoh Creek

years ago I flew out of Sitka to fish Sitkoh Creek. It is a short creek, a trail leads from the salt up to the lake, approximately 4 miles. Not big, but has a nice run of steelhead. I was told it is best to target steelies the first flood tide in May. Good Luck if you go.

I lived in Sitka back in the 80's. I too flew out to Sitkoh Creek and did well with steelhead. The local Sitka creeks are suppose to have a few fish, but not enough to spend time going after them. Fly out fishing from Sitka to lower Baranof Island and Chicagof Island are your best bets, but most of the runs are fairly small, the creeks are short and you have to be there at the right time to hit fish. I would talk to one of the local air taxi operators. They usually know where the fish are located this time of year.

Default thnx

thanks for the replies...

I realize there could be some pretty hot fishing a short bush plane ride away from town, but is there much in the way of fishing a short skiff ride from town? steelhead, sea run cutthroats, or kings?

I'll probably keep my tackle limited to a 7wt fly rod outfit.

Default Medevije

Medevije hatchery is a short skiff ride from town. Depending on the time of year they have a decent return of kings that hang out in front of the hatchery. Could be a lot of fun on a fly rod. 7wt. would be a little light though. I imagine the mouth of most creeks in the area would be holding dollies and possibly some cutthroat.

To the top. Any other thoughts out there?

I was there ~ sept 2007; flew out to sitkoh creek - I wouldn't call it a "short" creek. It is over 4 miles long from the lake to the outlet - minimum 3 hour hike on rough trail, one way. Whether the lake still has ice this time of year - I don't know (but I question it). Good fishing for resident rainbows then; has a well-known run of steelhead.

As far as transportation, there is a road that goes a few miles out of town in each direction. I drove it. There seemed to be very little road accessible, and what there was, didn't interest me.

There are some Sitka guides with boats that take small groups of people to area streams for steelhead for a day. I met them at a fish show in my area. There is a local flyfishing shop in sitka that may be able to give you more info.

Default thanks

thanks for the advice...

was hoping to get more beta from Sitka residents... either everyone's out fishing or they dont want to reveal the goods! (cant say I blame them)