Thread: Wolverine Creek

Question Wolverine Creek

I'm considering a fly-out trip to Wolverine Creek with my folks this summer. Heard that both the fishing and bear viewing can be spectacular, but the area tends to attract a large crowd.

Would appreciate some honest first-hand accounts and assements of the overall experience there. On a scale from 1 to 10, how did it rate? Was the trip worth the time and money invested?

Default Over there

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    I'm considering a fly-out trip to Wolverine Creek with my folks this summer. Heard that both the fishing and bear viewing can be spectacular, but the area tends to attract a large crowd.

Would appreciate some honest first-hand accounts and assements of the overall experience there. On a scale from 1 to 10, how did it rate? Was the trip worth the time and money invested?

I guide a lot of trips over there, Tomcat. It will depend on a few factors. When are you going? June isn't as busy, July is very busy, yet this year it won't be nearly as busy, so you are coming during a good year. The bear viewing is excellent and it's an overall great trip for families and those that haven't done it before. Make no mistake about it, there will be several boats waiting in line. Again, it will depend on what month you are going, and also what time you depart. Demand, don't ask for the absolute earliest flight the air taxi takes, that way you beat most of the crowds, sometimes I've been out there all by myself for hours. The fishing is good, yet it's not exactly sporting, you more than likely haven't had any experience with lining/flossing fish, completely different than most other forms of fishing, lots of guys have a good time with it. 99.9% of the people have a great time and really enjoy their experience. It will also depend a lot on how handsome your guide is, wink wink.
    Marc Theiler

Basically the fishing set up is two single file lines right next to each other, both trying to get to the mouth of the river where all the fish/bears are.

My father and I went to Wolverine Creek about 2 years ago and the bear viewers were very much a nuisance and we had our lines tangled up with their boats all day. When our boat finally got to the front slot, we only got to stay for about 30 minutes because our time was up. The fishing was okay, i limited on pinks and was 1 off my limit on silvers but no one else on the boat was able to catch much. I would try to go on a fly out to a different river for sure, but if this is all thats available, you should have a good time.

My wife, 4-year old daughter, and I took two visitors from the lower 48 on this trip with Talon Air last summer. We all loved it and had a great time. It was late July and the sockeye were still running and the silvers had just begun. We did take the second earliest flight, and I would agree with theiler cabin that the earlier the better. It wasn't all that crowded, we never snagged any other lines or boats, and saw plenty of bears. We caught most of our limit of sockeye, then headed out to the flats to toss eggs and finished our limits with silvers. True, the sockeye fishing is flossing, and might be a bit tough for first-timers, but there are plenty of fish. Our visitors loved it, as did my daughter. If you go with Talon, I'd highly recommend Rusty for your fishing guide - you can request him by name. Great guy, wonderful with our daughter, fun to be around, and very professional.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

tomcat
    I have taken alot of people to big river lakes and it is a great place for checking out the bears and fishing. From about june 15 to july 15 you will be fishing for red salmon and it can be crowded but if you get the earlyest flight it wiold be great. After the 15th of july the silvers are showing up and the crowds are way thinned out because there fishing in alot of differnt parts of the lake. If you get the early flight you will catch fish and you will see bears. I have alot of pictures on my web site most all the bear picturs are from big river lakes. I Have Talon air do most of my flying.
    They can hook you up on a trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images